Touch ID vs FaceID

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
They touted FaceId as the best thing to replace Touch ID and now we are back to saying we need both. No got used to Face ID yes the mask is an issue and apple fixed that by making the passcode pop up faster sure Touch ID would be helpful but isn’t it implied by Apple that the face was better than the fingerprint!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
They touted FaceId as the best thing to replace Touch ID and now we are back to saying we need both. No got used to Face ID yes the mask is an issue and apple fixed that by making the passcode pop up faster sure Touch ID would be helpful but isn’t it implied by Apple that the face was better than the fingerprint!

Actually in my opinion FaceID is better, but since some are wearing masks because of the pandemic both Face and Touch ID would be great. Unfortunately no one can predict the future, not even Apple.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Touch ID is pretty useless when wearing gloves. At least I can pull the mask down for a quick authentication with Face ID, can’t do the same with gloves and Touch ID.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Comparing Touch ID on my iPhone 6 and Face ID on XR, I like the latter more because it is way faster. However, I disagree with the named earlier disadvantage of Touch ID that it is pretty useless when wearing gloves because Face ID is useless too as you have to take them off anyways to touch the screen even after unlocking. So, during the pandemic, Touch ID is a little more useful since you don't have to take off your mask in a store in order to unlock it.

I definitely agree with this!!!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
My phone unlocks with my mask on. It didn’t do it in the beginning of the pandemic but it finally learned my mask is just another “accessory” & unlocks when I look at my phone. I’m sure I’m not the only person this works for.

Wait what? With your mask covering your nose and mouth...so half of your face...your FaceID continues to work? Mine doesn’t at all. That said I’m not sure I want it to. Seems like a large security risk.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
so i was at the grocery store and i needed to get momey into the card i use to buy stuff well couldnt be done i had my mask on an couldnt take it off or remove it partly so the phone never recognized me so i need a phone with touch id now

Apple Pay also works with your passcode. Why wasn’t this an option for you?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Wait what? With your mask covering your nose and mouth...so half of your face...your FaceID continues to work? Mine doesn’t at all. That said I’m not sure I want it to. Seems like a large security risk.

It works on the XS but not the 11 Pro. I don’t really see it as a security because I have to be looking at the screen for it to open. I’m not sure what I did different, as far as setting up the phones, but both devices are on the latest beta.

Jun 6, 2018
Visit site
It works on the XS but not the 11 Pro. I don’t really see it as a security because I have to be looking at the screen for it to open. I’m not sure what I did different, as far as setting up the phones, but both devices are on the latest beta.

I thought you had to have the watch in order for the face ID to work with a mask on? Mine didn't work until I updated my watch for it

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2