Apple Mail Question

pcNevamore

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I have two iMacs, one is a Mid 2010 with OS X 10.9.1 and the other is only 2 months old with same OS X on it. I use the apple mail app for personal email on both machines, but have noticed something odd. Both are set up identically as far as I can tell with same mail accounts...etc.. When I right click on junk mail, I see an option "erase junk mail" (this is on new iMac), however on older iMac when I do the same, I do not see this option.
Keep in mind same version OS X on both machines.

Am I missing something here? Could there be something in settings for mail that I've missed? Could it be because the difference in age of iMacs? (kind of doubt this one though)

Anyone else notice this or know how I might be able to resolve?

Thanks in advance :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what to tell you. I can see how the difference in machine model would affect OS X in that regard. As you've stated, they're both running OS X Mavericks and are set up identically. With all intents & purposes, their function and layout should be identical. I'm sorry, but I have no explanation for what you are experiencing. Have you contacted Apple for an explanation?

pcNevamore

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what to tell you. I can see how the difference in machine model would affect OS X in that regard. As you've stated, they're both running OS X Mavericks and are set up identically. With all intents & purposes, their function and layout should be identical. I'm sorry, but I have no explanation for what you are experiencing. Have you contacted Apple for an explanation?

Thanks JustMe'D

I think I will try to contact apple and see if they know why. Thanks for suggestion :)

pcNevamore

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Well after more searching around in the settings I did find one thing that was different. In Preferences and under Junk Mail tab, it appears as though on the machine that I couldn't right click on Junk Mail and see an "erase junk mail" option..... I had "when junk mail arrives:..........Mark as junk mail, but leave it in my Inbox" checked.
I checked "Move it to the Junk mailbox" instead and now when right clicking on Junk Mail I see the option "erase junk mail"

I had a feeling it was something simple and silly....lol

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well after more searching around in the settings I did find one thing that was different. In Preferences and under Junk Mail tab, it appears as though on the machine that I couldn't right click on Junk Mail and see an "erase junk mail" option..... I had "when junk mail arrives:..........Mark as junk mail, but leave it in my Inbox" checked.
I checked "Move it to the Junk mailbox" instead and now when right clicking on Junk Mail I see the option "erase junk mail"

I had a feeling it was something simple and silly....lol

It always is, my friend...:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2