Update Firmware or not

speedbump

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I have a new Iphone 3GS with 3.0.1 firmware. Now that there is software out to JB the latest firmware is there any reason I shouldn't upgrade to 3.1.x before I JB this device?

I've been holding out on jailbreaking till now, and am wondering which is the best way to go... upgrade or not?

SB...

Last edited:

DRTigerlilly

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
though blacksn0w and blackra1n work, there are alot of users that are reporting issues.

I think using dev-teams tools like pwnage is a safer more stable option if you choose to jailbreak.

As such you should follow saurik's advice about backing up your ecid with him, in case you want to go back to 3.0 in case you do have issues w/ 3.1.x, and it might also be more stable to keep the baseband you're @.

So it's going to require you downloading the upgrade from Apple and then running dev-teams software to modify it and keep your current baseband. It's a little more tedious, but a safer option.

speedbump

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I think using dev-teams tools like pwnage is a safer more stable option if you choose to jailbreak.

As such you should follow saurik's advice about backing up your ecid with him, in case you want to go back to 3.0 in case you do have issues w/ 3.1.x, and it might also be more stable to keep the baseband you're @.

So it's going to require you downloading the upgrade from Apple and then running dev-teams software to modify it and keep your current baseband. It's a little more tedious, but a safer option.

Thanks... pwnage appears to be MAC only... as a windows user is there any way around this... I'm a nooby here, and have been trying to educate myself before asking dumb questions, however the learning curve is a little steep here, so please accept my appologies if I've missed this info somewhere.

Currently my main reason to JB is to be able to use VOIP (currently Fring) with a carrier I'm subscribed to... It works well on Wifi, and I would really like to run it on 3G... (Rogers)... Before I mess with JBing is this possible... From what I've read there seems to be a Cydia app which will do this, however I'm uncertain if it will work with Rogers...

SB...

DRTigerlilly

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
geohot is claiming the wifi issues are not related to his software, so you could chance it and go w/ geohot, but it still might be a good idea to go via dev teams method, so worse case scenario you could go back to 3.0.1 if you wanted to.

and remember to store your signature w/ Saurik.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2