How do I restore content to my iTUNES after a HD failure?

ScubaCat

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I had a complete HD failure on my PC and needed to replace it and was followed up with a clean re-install of windows XP pro. My iTunes program was on it and I assumed that when I re-installed the Itunes and synced my phone that the content from my phone would be put into the library of the program and restore all my settings, content and such.

This has not been the case and I tried to back up my phone and sync it but I get a message that says It will erase my phone and contents if I proceed.

What am I doing wrong? Please tell me APPLE thought ahead as to what a person would do in such an instance?

I forgot to mention....It did re-install my apps to the Itunes but not my podcasts when I re-synced those. It erased all traces of the podcasts and did not show anything of them in the program. I did not attempt to resyn my music as I do not have back ups of most of it in another computer or folder and would almost have to start from scratch.

Why does it tell me it is backing up my phone if it is pointless?

Thanks to all who reply.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
You will need to use a program to transfer your music from your iPhone to your computer. Look into CopyTrans.

Once you have transferred your music to your PC, then you can sync and erase all of your music on your iPhone.

Jessi#IM

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
You will need an iPhone-to-computer transfer program to help you get back all content to your computer and iTunes. Try google such program or at one at gutensoft.com.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
If they were purchased from iTunes, you can call Apple Support and usually they'll let you redownload them.

With Applications if you go to purchase the same thing again, it just redownloads it and doesn't charge you.

dannyleeuk

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
This is the same problem i'm facing. I'm more than happy to clear my laptop, but iTunes won't sync data from the iPhone to the laptop first....so it'll delete everything off the phone on the first sync...including Contacts!

Voltaic Shock

Sep 16, 2008
Visit site
Apple really needs to let you redownload songs if something like this happens without contacting them.

I don't know how many times I have had to copy my music from a bad HD and put it on the new one.

dannyleeuk

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
I just wish Apple would make it easier to backup data, rather than through iTunes. The more people use their iPhones for day-to-day communication, whether it be Email, SMS, MMS or just managing their contacts....the more important its going to be to back that data up.

Personally, I can cope with losing all my music etc but if I lost my Contacts, it would be a disaster (400+ at the moment). Even a small Apple Application call iWantToBackupMyContacts would be great, a quick export to CSV function and done...no messing about.

The current method just doesn't make sense to me. And does anyone know where the backup files are placed on your PC?

JFB

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I heard that itunes limits the number of times you can transfer your library to different hard drives. Is this true? Thanks for your help

cbramsey5898

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I am the midst of a similar problem

Guys,

I have a similar issue. My present computer I sync my iPhone with is not long for this world. I get my new laptop next week.

The question I have is can I use a program such as Copy Trans to copy info from the iPhone to iTunes??

I am using Office 2007 for contact info, calendar, etc.

Charles

Last edited:

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Very useful thread. I may have to face this same issue.

I have a macbook and an iMac...me and the g/f both sync our iPhones w/ the iMac.

Well a few days ago I got the white screen of death. It's currently at the Apple store getting fixed. I'm really hoping for a bad optical drive cable and not a corrupt HD. I have 280GB of music, movies, pics. Etc...

I'm REALLY hoping that I don't lose all that. At least now I know I can get my music back. I don't have to worry about contacts as those are on MobileMe so I have active copies of those.

Will the program transfer pics as well? That's what I'm most worried about. A majority of the pics I have on my iPhone or Flickr. Some of them aren't, and only on the iMac, that will be depressing to lose those as they are irreplaceable. :(

I'll also probably lose all the gigs of movies I have on there. I'm really really hoping it's not that bad. They said they'd give me the corrupt HD back no charge if they have to replace it with a new one and I can do as I wish with it. My brother says he can probably hook it up to Linux and get everything that isn't on a corrupt sector off. Hopefully we don't have to go through that.

Good luck getting your stuff back OP! I may be facing the same thing. I am somewhat fearing the call from Apple here in a few days. :(