Error -54 trying to sync music to phone with iTunes

baseballbert

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to upload purchased music to my phone with iTunes and I keep getting this error. Any tips on how to fix this would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Error code 54 indicates "Software lock on file; Not a subscriber"

This seems to suggest that you have one file somewhere that cannot be synced as you do not have permission to do so (for any number of reasons).

If you have a backup of your device and nothing has changed substantially, the best thing you can do is to untick various sections one at a time, like photos first for instance, and then try to resync the device. if it works then it's a photo that's at fault. If it doesn't work, retick photos and untick music and try again. Rinse and repeat until you find the section that is causing issues and then you have to drill down to find the exact file by unticking and reticking each album/song/picture/movie/whatever until you find it.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks!! I will do this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted. :)

If you get the chance, please do let us know if it works either way. It's always good to get closure on things like this so we can remember it in case someone else has the same problem in future. :)

rspyke1

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Error -54 trying to sync music to phone with iTunes - The cause and solution.

On the Windows version of iTunes, error -54 means a general IO error occurred that can be caused by many different things: a file is corrupt, a file is locked, or an .m4a file could not be converted to a lower bit rate. My problem ended up being the last one. All of my music was ripped with another program into a .m4a format that runs well on both my iPod and iPhone, but will give me the dreaded -54 error when I have the "Convert higher bit rate songs to..." option checked. This happens at random, since after multiple tries, the music will all sync with my iPhone. If I don't have the music converted, then everything syncs normally.
You might want to use another program to re-sample the audio files at a lower bit rate like I did to keep my iPhone from being filled up (I used a free converter I found online).

Highway_Brian

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Re: Error -54 trying to sync music to phone with iTunes - The cause and solution.

On the Windows version of iTunes, error -54 means a general IO error occurred that can be caused by many different things: a file is corrupt, a file is locked, or an .m4a file could not be converted to a lower bit rate. My problem ended up being the last one. All of my music was ripped with another program into a .m4a format that runs well on both my iPod and iPhone, but will give me the dreaded -54 error when I have the "Convert higher bit rate songs to..." option checked. This happens at random, since after multiple tries, the music will all sync with my iPhone. If I don't have the music converted, then everything syncs normally.
You might want to use another program to re-sample the audio files at a lower bit rate like I did to keep my iPhone from being filled up (I used a free converter I found online).

What is the name of free app you mention here?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2