What happens to Apple Care plan when phone replaced by insurance?

Pawel L

Oct 13, 2018
Visit site
So the phone was replaced by insurance, does that automatically come with a new Apple Care plan (12 months all over again?) or continue with the old one?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So, I would check with Apple on this. I think that you have lost AppleCare unless the insurance company notifies Apple that you have a new serial number associated with the AC coverage. I think that you may have to purchase a new AC account (though you should also be able to get a refund on the old phone.)

Again, check with Apple, and do it fast - I think that you have limited time to get AC.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
If memory serves (only got one replaced once) you continue on with the original coverage. For example, if 6 months in I need a replacement then the new phone will have 1 year, 6 months remaining of my original Care plan.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
If memory serves (only got one replaced once) you continue on with the original coverage. For example, if 6 months in I need a replacement then the new phone will have 1 year, 6 months remaining of my original Care plan.

Was this a replacement by Apple (warranty or AppleCare), or a third party insurance plan (like Assurion)?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
So the phone was replaced by insurance, does that automatically come with a new Apple Care plan (12 months all over again?) or continue with the old one?

Replaced by third party company like Assurion? If so it depends if they send you a refurbished unit or brand new in box. If replaced by Apple, warranty just transfers.

judgetom

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
According to the Apple US web site it says:

If Apple exchanges the Covered Equipment, the original product becomes Apple’s property and the replacement product is your property, with coverage for the remaining period of the Plan.

Do not know if AC also covers a replacement through a third party.

But one question: why are you having an insurance plus AC? Does this not conflict? Don‘t they provide the same or nearly the same services?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
According to the Apple US web site it says:

If Apple exchanges the Covered Equipment, the original product becomes Apple’s property and the replacement product is your property, with coverage for the remaining period of the Plan.

Do not know if AC also covers a replacement through a third party.

But one question: why are you having an insurance plus AC? Does this not conflict? Don‘t they provide the same or nearly the same services?

If they are just using the standard 1 year apple warranty (which I assume the OP is talking about) than 3rd party would be necessary for everything that isn't deemed "manufacturer" defect.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Until just this year, you could not get AC+ to cover a lost or stolen phone. I assume that third party insurance can or will cover that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2