5s won't save photos or videos to cameral roll after 7.1 upgrade

sonar_chris

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

My wife just upgraded from an iPhone 4s to a 5s. She did an iCloud backup on her 4s running iOS 7.1. When we got her new 5s, she restored her phone from the iCloud backup and we noticed that her phone wouldn't save any pictures or videos to the camera roll. At this point we tried using an earlier iCloud backup but that didn't work, so the next thing was to delete all settings and apps and set up it up as a new phone and that didn't work. So as a last resort, I hooked her phone up to iTunes and did a complete iOS 7.1 restore, and that didn't work. So we went back to Best Buy and exchanged the phone for a new one. There was an Apple rep at the store and he stated that he had never seen this problem before. So before leaving the store, we turned on the phone and made sure that the camera and videos saved to the camera roll and they did. It was running iOS 7.0 at the time. Best Buy didn't have reliable wifi so we set it up as a new phone just to make sure it worked fine and when it did we went home, hooked up to our home wifi and upgraded to iOS 7.1 then after that was done, we deleted all content and settings so that we could restore from her iCloud back up. Well now that this is all done, the camera once again will not save videos to the camera roll. I have not yet tried restoring iOS 7.1 using iTunes yet as I'm pretty confident that I will get the same results as i did with the last phone. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks for your time. By the way my wife's 5s is a 64gb Verizion phone.

Chris

Tommy Hoeg

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue with my new iPad. Camera will not save to camera roll. I can't save photos or videos from anywhere. I have reset the iPad but nothing happens.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Chris I read your post and Welcome to iMore. Can you clarify one thing for me. I understand what you are trying to do but the one thing I don't understand is where you say that you are now wanting to take the iCould backup and put it on the new phone and I get that.... she restored her phone from the iCloud backup and we noticed that her phone wouldn't save any pictures or videos to the camera.
I don't understand this, What does that mean? That what she had in her backup in iCloud did not transfer to the new phone as far as pics, You are saying nothing will save to the camera?? That is what is confusing me?
This might help you to read this from Apple and if not I don't think it is your phone when this is the second one and it worked at the store.

Restore your iPhone using iCloud - iCloud - iPhone Basics - Apple Support

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I've done a full restore using iTunes. The camera still doesn't save to the photo roll.
Are you both saying that if you take a picture or video that they will not save to the camera roll so that when you open your photo app there is nothing in the camera roll that you took with your camera?

Last edited:

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue with my new iPad. Camera will not save to camera roll. I can't save photos or videos from anywhere. I have reset the iPad but nothing happens.
Welcome to iMore. You are saying the same thing that you can take a photo but it is not in your camera roll when you open your photo app?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Are you both saying that if you take a picture or video that they will not save to the camera roll so that when you open you open your photo app there is nothing in the camera roll that you took with your camera?

And to add to that, what about when you guys open the camera and tap on the photo album thumbnail at the bottom left corner? Anything?

sonar_chris

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
When we got the new 5s it was on iOS 7.0. We tested the camera at the store and it would take pictures and save them to the camera role. E.G. They would show up in the preview in the lower left corner of the camera app and then when you touched the prieview it would open that picture in the camera roll. Well since best buys wifi wasn't working well we originally started the phone as a new phone. When we got home and had reliable access to wifi we went to restore her icloud back up from her 4s ( running iOS 7.1) well the 5s said we had to upgrade the software on the 5s to 7.1 to restore from the icloud backup my wife did on her 4s. After upgrading the software to 7.1 we did a delete all setting and content and set up the phone to restore from her icloud backup. After the restore completes everything appears to be fine but when you take a picture the camera takes the photo it moves it to the prieview in the lower left hand corner of the camera app but when you click on the prieview picture to go to the camera roll it says that there are no pictures saved.

cinematicme

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried hard resetting the phone or setting it up as new?

Hard reset isn't restoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
When you take a picture it shows up in the lower left corner but when you click on the picture it says the camera roll is empty.
When you say that you're deleting all content and settings, it won't work because you're just refreshing the phone off of a backup. I have a good feeling something is corrupted in the backup. Have you actually just restored the iPhone as new on iTunes? If you restore on iTunes, don't restore a backup of any kind and delete all content and settings. Just install 7.1 fresh and take it from there in setting up as a new phone.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
When you say that you're deleting all content and settings, it won't work because you're just refreshing the phone off of a backup. I have a good feeling something is corrupted in the backup. Have you actually just restored the iPhone as new on iTunes? If you restore on iTunes, don't restore a backup of any kind and delete all content and settings. Just install 7.1 fresh and take it from there in setting up as a new phone.
I am going to have to 100% agree with this. I had my own incident last night updating 7 apps and my empty space went down to nothing and my "Other" ate up everything. Granted I have 807 pics on my phone from my computer and camera roll but I did a clean install and then I put my backup back on and not only regained 3gb of space but now with 7.1 it is snappier.

I would do what was advised in your case and I think you will come out much better since it worked on the new one at the store w/o the backup.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes I have tried setting up as new and have also tried restoring through iTunes as new as well.
OK so you know then that this means NEW and not putting your backup back on again? I am not trying to be condisending here either but really trying to help as well as the others.

sonar_chris

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
OK, so I got the problem figured out. Just for everyones info, yes I tried to restore as a new phone from iTunes but that didn't work for me. I ended up going to the apple store and through some diagnostics and troubleshooting, we found out they the iCloud back up was corrupting the firmware on the phone for some reason. At the store they restored as a new phone from iTunes and the first time it didn't work. The second time around using iTunes it did work. We weren't able to use her iCloud back up to restore her phone but we have worked around it. None of the employees at the store had ever seen this problem before. Thanks for all the suggestions and help, it is greatly appreciated.

BenBoy2

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Had same problem iphone 5
Went to settlings then general, at the bottom of menu hit reset. Then hit reset all settings and followed the prompts. This worked for me and with exception of my screensaver the phone seems the same. I even put all the photos I had taken that did not appear on camera roll, onto my camera roll

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77