Help with a weather app

soulfetcher13

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I am new to iOS. I have to say olive the iPhone nearly in every way. I came from blackberry and miss one thing. Is there a weather app out there that chimes or vibrates or notifies in any way when a severe weather alert come through? Weatherbug did on blackberry and android. Maybe someone knows. Otherwise I love this device!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
There's another solution for that... Weather Channel has free email alerts you can set up to be delivered for warnings - and if you get them sent to an email account you have set up for push to your iPhone, you will get them quite fast - and will be as fast, or faster than local TV stations run automated crawls with alerts.

And still another solution: subscribe to weathertap.com - awesome radar on a home computer, or - on a mobile device - phone, or tablet... plus, they offer an email or sms notification service that's included with your subscription that sends weather warnings - and those are delivered as fast or faster than broadcast media delivers as well.

Edit to add: I have reviewed the available apps in the AppStore that purport to be what you are looking for, and none are rated well at all - and those that I've tried live up to their dismal ratings. Your best bet is either of the two methods above, or both for good measure.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I use Weather Alert USA. It has configurable alerts. I found it on the App Store and it works pretty well for me.

I tried it - In a tornado outbreak last weekend, I got no alerts from it. And now it has an issue where the program crashes because of some changes on the NWS data & headers of their products, and the app is no longer in the app store and is in process of being resubmitted and will need Apple approval.

The My-Cast app looks to be one of the better rated apps, and can be set up to push alerts.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I tried it - In a tornado outbreak last weekend, I got no alerts from it. And now it has an issue where the program crashes because of some changes on the NWS data & headers of their products, and the app is no longer in the app store and is in process of being resubmitted and will need Apple approval.

The My-Cast app looks to be one of the better rated apps, and can be set up to push alerts.

I use My-Cast and it's great!! Highly recommended.

danimal1968

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
There's another solution for that... Weather Channel has free email alerts you can set up to be delivered for warnings - and if you get them sent to an email account you have set up for push to your iPhone, you will get them quite fast - and will be as fast, or faster than local TV stations run automated crawls with alerts.

And still another solution: subscribe to weathertap.com - awesome radar on a home computer, or - on a mobile device - phone, or tablet... plus, they offer an email or sms notification service that's included with your subscription that sends weather warnings - and those are delivered as fast or faster than broadcast media delivers as well.

Edit to add: I have reviewed the available apps in the AppStore that purport to be what you are looking for, and none are rated well at all - and those that I've tried live up to their dismal ratings. Your best bet is either of the two methods above, or both for good measure.

You can also have Weather Channel send alerts to your phone as a text message rather than an email.

tperry

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

One thing I noticed was that you HAVE to go in and enable the alert notifications after you put the area in (or have it gelocate for you). It defaults to all alerts being disabled.
I like it because it uses the obnoxious alert sound that comes across the weather band when there is a warning... it DEFINITELY gets your attention. I have both it and My-Cast (like My-Cast because it can follow your location automatically). The new update for Weather Alert is out and works fine now.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
One thing I noticed was that you HAVE to go in and enable the alert notifications after you put the area in (or have it gelocate for you). It defaults to all alerts being disabled.
I like it because it uses the obnoxious alert sound that comes across the weather band when there is a warning... it DEFINITELY gets your attention. I have both it and My-Cast (like My-Cast because it can follow your location automatically). The new update for Weather Alert is out and works fine now.

I enabled all alerts, AGAIN, after downloading the new update... we currently have 8 flash flood/flood warnings, a tornado watch, and a severe thunderstorm warning... none of which i was notified for yet have it set to notify me.

tperry

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I enabled all alerts, AGAIN, after downloading the new update... we currently have 8 flash flood/flood warnings, a tornado watch, and a severe thunderstorm warning... none of which i was notified for yet have it set to notify me.

Don't know what to tell you then. When I go into the application if I click "Setup", then "Alerts" I get the county that I live in shown and it shows 1 alert county, the number of events and states that silent notifications are disabled. If I then click on the blue box showing that information it opens the window with all the different types of alerts and at the very bottom is a box that shows (by default) Notifications: Disabled and once I click on that it will change to enabled and I get the local alerts (in fact, got one earlier on the thunderstorm watch we were under) once I tell it "Done".

I saw that you were online when I posted this and tried to send you a PM but I don't have the mandatory 15 posts to allow that.... sorry.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lakeland Ghost