iphone 2g very slow, almost frozen

humanmusic

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
so I bought an iphone today from someone that said it was moving slower than normal. So it was a good deal and I went to restore it in itunes. Process finishes and I was ready to jailbreak it (done that many times successfully on various phones) but I notice it is moving slow. In fact it is basically stuck on the emergency call part, where you can slide to make a call but it basically does nothing for a long time, then it will suddenly go to the dial pad but its frozen there, and I try to return to previous screen and again it hangs forever and suddenly 10 min later it will go back.

I have also ran various jailbreaking softwares and they do complete but upon reboot the phone hangs at the apple logo.

I am assuming some malfunctioning, failing hardware or an overheating issue but don't really have a clue what to do next. Is it fixable?

Thanks for any advice.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Sorry I think you bought a brick. If that person is your friend I'd ask for at least some of your money back... I don't understand why you'd buy an iPhone 2G in the first place but to each their own.

humanmusic

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I think you bought a brick. If that person is your friend I'd ask for at least some of your money back... I don't understand why you'd buy an iPhone 2G in the first place but to each their own.

I got it for 50 bucks and the screen and battery works fine, plus I got the original box, receipt and dock. At first it was working, just seems to scroll slower than normal, then as the day progressed it got worse.

As far as I am concerned, since I don't use 2 or 3g at all, there is no difference between a 1st or second gen iphone except the price!

But, is it a brick or is there a fix?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I got it for 50 bucks and the screen and battery works fine, plus I got the original box, receipt and dock. At first it was working, just seems to scroll slower than normal, then as the day progressed it got worse.

As far as I am concerned, since I don't use 2 or 3g at all, there is no difference between a 1st or second gen iphone except the price!

But, is it a brick or is there a fix?
since you've tried restoring and jailbreaking it already I'd say unfortunately it seems like a brick.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't mind if its a brick, I can sell the parts but I am curious WHY it is if it is. What has failed in it?

from the details you've given it's kind of impossible to tell. It could be any number of things, my guess is that the motherboard is just malfunctioning because it is old. This phone is at the very least 2 years old, possibly 3, and it no doubt went through heavy usage in its first year, probably second as well. All things have the potential to die of old age.

humanmusic

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
When you restored, did you remember to set it up as new?

yeah....the restore worked and finished but on reboot it just doesn't do much, either its frozen on apple logo or as in first post, I did get to emergency call but barely could and could not dial.

humanmusic

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, I've been playing with it and now its up and running....who knows for how long.

I decided to use "iphone explorer" to view all of its files, and I deleted all of them, then I ran redsn0w (again) and did 3.12 like normal, jail and unlock, and that finished like it did before. and it was stuck at reboot again. So I held just the power button down until it showed me the "slide to " something or other, had a pic of a battery...then I pushed and held the power button again a long time and poof, all the icons came on and I had cydia and everything.

bad news, as I was typing this it went into a dim mode where I can see everything but nothing will move and its really dim.

Any ideas?

humanmusic

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I tried to repeat that and it didnt work the same, so on the last step instead of holding the power botton again, I held the home buttom and that sprung me into the OS, and I quickly went to brightness and lowered it from full to middle but the brightness didnt change. Its at a low level all the time and when it freezes, it gets even more dim.

is this a digitizer/lcd issue maybe? I also had trouble getting the brightness slider to move with my finger.

humanmusic

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
update. I started it today, used the same tricks and got into the OS, definitely moves slow but went into settings and changed the default auto lock to never. then I took a pic and ran some apps. Shut it down, restarted then it hung on the logo like normal. It acts like a computer that is underclocked actually.

humanmusic

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
last update. Using the tricks mentioned, I could get it into the OS most of the time, for various lengths of time.

Repeat, stuck on apple logo, held power button about 15 secs. if that didnt bring up the slide to unlock then hold it again for 15 secs. IF that didnt work try the same with the home button. doing this got me into the OS. Then get into settings ASAP and turn everything off that you can, lower brightness and turn off autolock. This makes the phone have to do less work when it is running and enabled my frozen phone to finally "half work".

I sold it to a guy for parts so happy ending!