Email help

cspinella

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
I have my new iphone set up with my gmail email account. It's retrieving messages fine.

Is there a way to delete messages on my iphone but leave them in my gmail account when I check it online??

Any help would be appreciated!!

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
If you've setup Gmail as IMAP, then no. Albeit, I believe according to the FAQ for Gmail if you delete on the iPhone it moves items to the archive\all mail section. It doesn't DELETE email UNLESS you do a move to trash...

cspinella

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
How do I know if it's set up as IMAP? Does it have to be setup as IMAP?

Sorry, I'm a little dense when it comes to this kind of stuff...

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
When you added it to your iPhone, did you use the Exchange menu, or the Gmail menu? If Exchange, then it's IMAP, i.e. PUSH, instant (we'll almost, people are complaining about issues).

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I have GMail so try this, login to your GMail on the computer then click Settings on the right top corner. Then go to Forwarding and POP/IMAP from there you can disable IMAP and Enable POP and also set the settings of what to do with messages when they are received via POP. I setup my GMail through the GMail interface on the phone because I don't care about Push. So if you do it that way what I would suggest is leave the settings however they are and choose Keep GMail copy in the Inbox when they are picked up via POP. Then send a test email and delete it see if that gets you what you want. If it doesn't then try turning IMAP off and send the test message.

cspinella

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
I tried your suggestions but it still didn't work- Where do I chose to keep it in my invox? In the gmail interface or in my iPhone settings?