Messages using up iCloud storage vs iPhone storage

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Trying to free up storage on my iPhone & iCloud. Noticed that Messages is using up almost 62GB of my 200GB iCloud storage. I have “Sync this iPhone” enabled. I only have my iPhone, no iPad or Mac. Do I really need to have sync this iPhone enabled? What are the pros and cons of disabling it?

Also, when checking what’s using up storage on my iPhone, I see that Messages is using up less than 1GB of storage. Why the huge difference between what’s being used up in iCloud vs on my iPhone? I would think it’s should match?

Attachments

• IMG_3381.png
    IMG_3381.png
    200.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3382.png
    IMG_3382.png
    117 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3383.png
    IMG_3383.png
    123.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3384.png
    IMG_3384.png
    135.5 KB · Views: 23

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

When Messages in the Cloud is enabled, it shifts the source of truth from your phone to iCloud.

In other words, the canonical version of your messages is in iCloud and not your phone. It allows the phone to offload the content of the Messages app to iCloud and remove it from the device, to create local storage space.

This also allows to quickly replace your iPhone, let’s say if you lose it, because it will redownload your conversations, instead of having to use a backup. You shouldn’t have any lost messages :)

If you want to save iCloud/iPhone space, you can always change the Keep Messages setting in the Settings app, under Messages. Be aware that the setting will permanently delete messages that have aged out.
IMG_4113.jpeg

Messages in iCloud documentation: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/icloud/mma17ed475f7/1.0/icloud/1.0

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

When Messages in the Cloud is enabled, it shifts the source of truth from your phone to iCloud.

In other words, the canonical version of your messages is in iCloud and not your phone. It allows the phone to offload the content of the Messages app to iCloud and remove it from the device, to create local storage space.

This also allows to quickly replace your iPhone, let’s say if you lose it, because it will redownload your conversations, instead of having to use a backup. You shouldn’t have any lost messages :)

If you want to save iCloud/iPhone space, you can always change the Keep Messages setting in the Settings app, under Messages. Be aware that the setting will permanently delete messages that have aged out.
View attachment 133288

Messages in iCloud documentation: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/icloud/mma17ed475f7/1.0/icloud/1.0

Thanks for the great info. I will make the changes you recommended.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77