No visible indication when phone is on mute?

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
I occasionally set the phone to mute using the button on the side and forget to turn it back on sound. There seems to be no visible indication of the mute status.

Is there an app that does that? An icon on the top bar, or an indicator on the wallpaper screen that comes on when you power on the device (with the slider at the bottom) would be nice.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
I would guess the indication would be that the mute switch is flipped. lol. When you mute or unmute, you'll see a brief on-screen indicator, but otherwise, just look at the mute button or feel it to see if it's in the mute/vibrate position. It can't be more tard-proof than that.

Skywalker

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I believe Status Notifier has an icon on the top bar that shows the mute.

I don't think Status Notifier is updated for 3.0 yet as I removed mine a while back due to the update problem.

This is a jailbreak tool by the way.

h4rk

Feb 23, 2009
Visit site
Isn't it easier to glance at or feel the side of the iPhone rather than actually powering it on to see a silent indicator? When silent, the switch is no longer in line with the volume keys and you can see a small red dot.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't understand does your mute button not work? or are you just asking if there is an app? If the mute button doesn't work take the phone in to Apple if you can and get a new one. It's obviously a defect so there shouldn't be any problem. You shouldn't have to work around a defect.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
Of course, when one deliberately wants to check the status of the mute button, one can glance at it or feel it.

My point is that I am constantly running in and out of meetings, muting the phone in them. Then, having forgotten to turn the sound back on, I notice my omission many hours/minutes later while using the device. Then I do glance at the switch and turn it back on, while wondering what timely alerts I had missed in the mean time.

Personally, indications of device status (like call forwarding, airplane mode, etc) is useful to have on top of the screen. They can add a small icon (a tiny speaker with a red slash through it?) when the device is on mute.

Anyway, looks like there is no way to do this without jailbreaking...

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
I don't understand does your mute button not work? or are you just asking if there is an app? If the mute button doesn't work take the phone in to Apple if you can and get a new one. It's obviously a defect so there shouldn't be any problem. You shouldn't have to work around a defect.
The button works. It's my brain that doesn't (in the sense that I forget to turn on the switch sometimes when having a busy day).

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
OK got ya now I just didn't understand what you were asking. I am with you a speaker with red slash through it would be good. God knows there's space on the top bar.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77