GPS Issues

Erieg

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
I just upgraded my 1st gen iPhone to a 3GS which of course has GPS. When I first got the phone I tried using GPS to locate me and it seemed to do fine... it was off by about 50 yards though.

I was looking at apps this morning and I saw a geocaching app that looked interesting but before I bought it I thought I would see how well I could do with what was already on the phone (GPS, Google Maps and the compass).

I picked a cache that is in a park not far from home so I would be familiar with my location. First thing I noticed is that when I located my location it showed me about 6 blocks away. The blue radius circle was huge. I pulled up a site that told me it would help if I turn 3G off, located and then turn it back on. Made no difference.

Since I knew roughly where the cache was by looking at google maps I headed off in the right direction. I kept the phone on the entire time. What I noticed is that it would occastionally track me and then immediately jump back to the original spot.

This is a wide open city park with no obstruction of the sky. My questions are this.. Is this normal? I have never seen any kind of GPS device be this off. If this is normal how will this ever work for turn by turn? I would assume by the pictures/video clips I have seen that the location pin would move pretty much in sync with where you are. but I cant see that. I also read that it is "assisted" GPS. Does that mean, assuming it actually works, that you have to be within 3g/edge range for it to work?

I am really not trying to complain it is just that I thought that it was actual gps and not a gimmick. Am I wrong in thinking that or is there something wrong with my phone?

The_strain

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Sorry dude not sure, I'm getting my 3GS on the 10th, but my friends but it right on the dot and his is the 3G so not sure man, sorry.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
sorry but my GPS is also working dead on. it did jump about three houses down once but it came right back, don't know what that was?

when you were doing your test were you on the 3g network?

Erieg

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
I started on 3g and also tried edge and it didn't make a difference. The strange thing is that the blue circle that signifies the area that you are in was rather large, about the same as I got on my 1st gen phone without GPS.

As to the data network, this gps will only work when you are on one? So if you happed to take the phone hiking in a dead zone it would not work (assuming it was working to start with).

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
The GPS should not be reliant on having a cell signal, though I believe it uses the triangulation data initially to help lock on your location.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77