Creating and accepting appts and categorizing contacts and notes

starwatcher

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Blackberry user here. Very interested in moving to the iPhone as it now how what I thought was all my minimum requirements. (copy, cut, paste, notes sync, video, etc)

I have been looking into the following just to confirm it can or cannot do it. I currently have a blackberry and I use multiple e-mail accounts. Nothing to do with work. Yahoo.ca, private domain, rogers.com. I have them all set to send and receive e-mail to my blackberry.

I can receive calendar invitations, reply have them automatically added to my calendar and I can create new ones and send them to anyone. Is it possible to do this on the iPhone. I read that it allows you to do this with Exchange. Like I said this is all personal. Is it possible at all? Any kind of work around if not natively possible.

I am also looking into if it is possible to categorize my contacts and notes. I currently have about 10 categories for each. Friends, family, work related, businesses, etc. I would like to keep them seperate. Is this possible?
(I think I found the way to do this is with a new folder, extra folders for Contacts and extra folders for Notes.)

If these functions are possible with 3rd party apps, that would also fit the bill. Just do not want to lose this functionality by moving to the iPhone.

Thanks,
Allan

Last edited:

jplumey

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site
I have been looking into the following just to confirm it can or cannot do it. I currently have a blackberry and I use multiple e-mail accounts. Nothing to do with work. Yahoo.ca, private domain, rogers.com. I have them all set to send and receive e-mail to my blackberry.

You can do all of this with the iPhone. No problem. Not all services provide push, however. Exchange,MobileMe, and Yahoo do, Gmail does not.

I can receive calendar invitations, reply have them automatically added to my calendar and I can create new ones and send them to anyone. Is it possible to do this on the iPhone. I read that it allows you to do this with Exchange. Like I said this is all personal. Is it possible at all? Any kind of work around if not natively possible.

You will need to use Exchange account to do calendar invitations. There are various free options out there as well some very cheap hosted solutions. MobileMe will support it eventually, just not yet.

I am also looking into if it is possible to categorize my contacts and notes. I currently have about 10 categories for each. Friends, family, work related, businesses, etc. I would like to keep them seperate. Is this possible?
(I think I found the way to do this is with a new folder, extra folders for Contacts and extra folders for Notes.)

I'm not sure if you can categorize with any of the client apps. I'll have to look into that.

starwatcher

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi. Thanks for the detailed reply. I had a feeling the only way was to use some sort of hosted Exchange service. I looked around and could not find any that do not charge at least $5/month. Once MobileMe does it that would be perfect. But until then, do you have any recommendations. Or just knowledge of some free/cheap ones that I can check out?

Thanks,
Allan

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
As far as contacts you can create different groups on a Mac. When you sync your contacts tell it to sync all groups and when you open your contacts app at the top left there is something that says "Groups"

Hope it helps! And as of now you can't categorize the default notes app but I HIGHLY recommend the FREE app "Evernote" It is the end all be all App. You can read about it and see screen shots via the app store.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2