Question Does autcorrect know English?

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I wonder does autocorrect know English? Or is it Americans don’t know English? I wonder because being an iPhone user since the blackberry basically died. Apple and their autocorrect feature seem to be failing me in anyway possible. It autocorrect things that don’t need to be corrected and highlight mistake that are not mistake. I’m sure there are others experiencing this and apple needs to fix these issue. Making iPhones a smartphone and the one thing it doesn’t seem to be smart about is correction and grammar

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I find the autocorrect feature is pretty good except for certain names, especially company names. For example, tgifridays. The autocorrect feature is showing it is spelled incorrectly. However, if I capitalize it in the following manner — TGIFriday’s — then the autocorrect feature doesn’t show it as being incorrect.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I wonder does autocorrect know English? Or is it Americans don’t know English? I wonder because being an iPhone user since the blackberry basically died. Apple and their autocorrect feature seem to be failing me in anyway possible. It autocorrect things that don’t need to be corrected and highlight mistake that are not mistake. I’m sure there are others experiencing this and apple needs to fix these issue. Making iPhones a smartphone and the one thing it doesn’t seem to be smart about is correction and grammar
Short answer, both.

Long answer:
Autocorrect uses (used to?) data from other users to "improve" autocorrect. I can't recall the specific name of that feature. Also, it learns from your way of spelling out words, so a dictionary reset might become necessary over time.

Also, the autocorrect system will adjust based on which keyboards, and regional dialects, are enabled on your device.
For instance, in my case, I have Canadian English and Canadian French languages enabled, so autocorrect will correct for both languages, mixing them together.
It will allow the use of "colour", "realize", "curb", and give a mistake for "color", "realise", "kerb". It will also recognize our regional words, like "tuque" (knitted winter hat), "runners" (running shoes), "loonie" ($1 coin) and "toonie" ($2 coin).
However, it will also mix up languages with those you have configured from time to time, in my case something correcting English to irrelevant French word.

Finally, they may have improved autocorrect in iOS 17. I am yet to see significant improvements in that regard.

Reactions: TwitchyPuppy

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Short answer, both.

Long answer:
Autocorrect uses (used to?) data from other users to "improve" autocorrect. I can't recall the specific name of that feature. Also, it learns from your way of spelling out words, so a dictionary reset might become necessary over time.

Also, the autocorrect system will adjust based on which keyboards, and regional dialects, are enabled on your device.
For instance, in my case, I have Canadian English and Canadian French languages enabled, so autocorrect will correct for both languages, mixing them together.
It will allow the use of "colour", "realize", "curb", and give a mistake for "color", "realise", "kerb". It will also recognize our regional words, like "tuque" (knitted winter hat), "runners" (running shoes), "loonie" ($1 coin) and "toonie" ($2 coin).
However, it will also mix up languages with those you have configured from time to time, in my case something correcting English to irrelevant French word.

Finally, they may have improved autocorrect in iOS 17. I am yet to see significant improvements in that regard.

I’ve found the predictive text feature to be greatly improved in iOS 17.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I’ve found the predictive text feature to be greatly improved in iOS 17.
It doesn’t seem that Apple brought improved autocorrect to the iPhone 11. They have only brought predictive typing into text fields.

According to the feature list, it requires an iPhone 12 (or later). I’ll judge it when I receive my iPhone 15.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I find AC works ok for me 90% of the time.

The other 10% is when I post or comment on other social media platforms when I go into full on Samuel L Jackson mode and AC fails miserably.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77