Exchange Email Options

msebright

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
Exchange Setup - HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi all - I'm trying to setup Exchange on my iPhone and I'm running into a few snags. First, I don't know much about Exchange or what to enter for the Server/Domain fields. My IT guy isn't keen on the iPhone and refuses to provide me with the server name. My company uses Lotus Notes 6.5 and gives our Blackberry's like they're free. I don't have one or have access to one but I looked at another associates Lotus Notes settings and saw that his server name is CN=COMPBB15/OU=SVR/O=COMP/C=US. Not sure if that means anything or help or really where to go from here. Is there a way to figure out the server name without my IT departments help? I obviously know my email address and password so I'm covered there. Any guidance anyone can provide is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Mike

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
That server doesn't look right.

For example on my iphone, my server is webmail.ihostexchange.net

Do you connect to your exchange service via your laptop or any other mail program? Look at the settings there...

On my laptop in Outlook, my server address is VMBX101.ihostexchange.net

Try looking at your desktop/laptop settings and try using those.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
Sync at home and sync at work

I will be transitioning from a Treo 650 (yeah, it is old, but still functional) to the iPhone3GS in the next month or so. It's never too early to prepare.

My main Qs are about syncing at multiple locations. Currently, I sync my Treo at home with Palm Desktop for my contacts, personal appointments. I use Chatter for my ISP, gmail, Exchange (e-mail only). At work, I sync with Outlook (Exchange) for my work-related appointments (only). This way, I get both personal and work appointments on my Treo.

How will this work with the iPhone? I want to use a PIM at home (where I enter my personal appointments), and Outlook at work (which has my work appointments, meetings etc). I want them both on my iPhone.

What will I use at home (the iPhone does not come with a PIM, I suppose)? I'm OK with on-line PIMS like Yahoo or Google Calendar (or even MobileME if I have to..).

Will I use OTA Exchange sync to get my work appointments on my iPhone?

Can I avoid putting the gigantic address book (2000+ entries!) from my work on to my iPhone? I'd rather hanve my modest personal contacts on the iPhone.

Thanks.
Aloke

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If you're willing to go through the trouble...I am still syncing to the Palm desktop even though I now use an iPhone. I sync my iPhone to Google, and sync Google to my Palm desktop with CompanionLink. Best of every possible world.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I am not that invested into Palm Desktop and could switch to a different PIM, if that provides for a more elegant solution. Why not use use Google Calendar (does it include an on-line addressbook?) alone at home?

What about my Exchange account at work? How do I get those entries on to my iPhone?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You can do that by using Versamail and setting up Google as an Exchange server to get your pim data to Google in the first place.

Google offers Contacts and Calendar (no task syncing yet, but they're working on it). I like having an offline calendar.

If you use your work Exchange account, you won't be able to sync with Google. (Only one Exchange account at a time). But you could export the info and then import that to Google - or vice versa.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
Syncing with my work Exchange server is a given. That's where I spend most of my waking-up hours :-( Exporting regularly from that to any other email sever is impractical.

Given that I'll be syncing with my work Exch. server, what else can I sync with at home for my personal appoinntments and contacts?

Thanks for staying with me on this. Surely this must be a common situation for those using the iPhone for both work and personal use !!!

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
I would like the following on my future iPhone3.0:

From Work: Exchange server: e-mails, calendar (my work appointments), on-line access to work contacts on the server (so that I can create e-mails and meeting), but not have the contacts copied on to the iPhone

From home PC: Any PIM (which one?): calendar (my personal appointments), contacts, various emails (POP, IMAP, Gmail, AOL, Yahoo)

I could access the various home e-mails via the web sites (eg gmail, Yahoo), but I'd prefer it all in side a single app (like Chatter on my Treo).

I could use my work Exchange to keep my personal appointments and contacts, but I'd rather not.

Summary: Sync with Exchange for work email and meetings and contact and
Sync with something else for personal emails, appointments, contacts.

How do I do this?

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
I'm afraid that I'll have to use Exchange at work for all my PIM needs.

How about other e-mail accounts? Which is the best e-mail client that's out there that'll work alongside Exchange Activesync for my other email needs?

PS: I'll post this question (syncing with 2 PIM's) as a separate topic in the hope of getting a wider exposure ..

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Any email server/service will work for ya - definitely go for IMAP though. I've been using fastmail.fm for years and love it. I use it for all my mail, and Google's Exchange feature for my pim data.

Casper TFG

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Will using IMAP keep my home Mac and iPhone exactly the same?

Folders?
On My Mac?
Smart Folders too?

If it helps I have Mobile Me as well..

Thanks

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Yup! The advantage of using IMAP is you can define folders and filters and no matter where you access your email from, you see the same thing.

andrewb#IM

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I have a yahoo account setup to push emails to my iphone. Everything in me at mydomain.com(hosted by google apps) gets forwarded to the yahoo account and therefore pushed. When I reply however the reply-to address for the recipient is my yahoo address. I don't want people to be emailing my yahoo address or my inboxes get all messed up. Is there a way to change it? I've tried using gmail as my smtp server but can't seem to remove yahoo as the primary one.

debuell08

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Need More than One Exchange Server Email Account

I have set up my work email on iphone and it works great. However, I need to set up a second exchange email account for my community college teaching. Does anyone know how to get around the one account limit and set up an owa.college.edu email account?

Casper TFG

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Wow - I jsut had a whole day knocked out with futzing around with iCal & address books. The iCal calendars were the worst - I ended up with about 3 duplicate ones.. Hellish!

I have settled on using Exchange (ofered via my IMAP email provider) just for mail and will use Calendars and Adressbook with Mobile Me sync.

That way I feel I will get the fast (Blackberry like) email experience and a relaxed time with Address Book and iCal..:eek:

I will be back to learn more.. I am Mac based - and my wife and I subcribe to each other with 2 calendars.. (She runs an IMAP Mail + exchange iCal & Addressbook between her lap top and desktop - but I set that up a long time ago - just seems to work)

Report ends..

:eek:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2