One of The downsides to cingular GSM is you get so much static/noise using them in music docks especially as speakerphones .As far as I know there isn't a music dock for any GSM phones . Seems like this would be unacceptable for an iPodPhone....?
    02-17-2007 11:43 AM
    One of The downsides to cingular GSM is you get so much static/noise using them in music docks especially as speakerphones .As far as I know there isn't a music dock for any GSM phones . Seems like this would be unacceptable for an iPodPhone....?
    I still haven't heard this addressed am I missing something ?
    04-07-2007 12:52 PM
    Archie says no :evil:

Surur
    04-07-2007 01:19 PM
    Archie says no :evil:

Surur
    WHERE ?
    04-07-2007 01:48 PM
    I'm joking. I was channeling Archie, who "in spirit" says Apple would never release a device with such a design defect, and if it does it would be because its useful to know when your calls come in.

Surur
    04-07-2007 02:02 PM
    aaahhh ..? Buy seriously arn't there any of gsm users who could coment on this ? As far as I know there are no music docks that work with gsm . How could apple overlook this ?
    04-07-2007 02:44 PM
    That is the feedback from a non-3G signal. Happens whenever I put any Cingular phone next to a speaker (in GPRS or EDGE areas only). Since the iPhone isn't 3G I would assume it will still make the noise. Its a frequency issue, not a hardware defect...
    04-07-2007 05:43 PM
    That is the feedback from a non-3G signal. Happens whenever I put any Cingular phone next to a speaker (in GPRS or EDGE areas only). Since the iPhone isn't 3G I would assume it will still make the noise. Its a frequency issue, not a hardware defect...
    If one of your device's primary functions is a music player, it is, if not a defect, certainly an issue,

Surur
    04-07-2007 05:50 PM
    I agree, I wouldn't want to hear ticking while listening to music through my 500 dollar phone + speaker system cost as well. But I probably wouldn't use a setup that exploited this. Perhaps just a cord where I could keep the phone a few feet away from the speakers, etc
    04-07-2007 06:33 PM
    I have an iPod nano and the Apple audio dock (plugged into a hifi) and have just tried an experiement. I placed my phone (a Nokia E61) next to the dock and put it in 'GSM mode' (otherwise it would be using UTMS as the house is in a 3G area) and played back some music via the nano (in the dock). I set the phone to download a couple of web pages, sent it a text message and rang it up. I couldn't hear any interference of any kind. This doesn't mean that the iPhone won't have any problems of course, but I think this is about as close as we come to making an assessment before it's released. It at least indicates that Apple's dock is pretty well shielded (for the price it should be!).
    04-08-2007 10:11 AM
    why no GSM music docks for the 680 and 650 ? I thought the noise interference came from GSM phone signal to speakers etc
    04-08-2007 11:43 AM
    Any GSM phone will put out this noise, so the iPhone should have the same issue. I've heard that some devices do it worse than others. I have witnessed it from a cheapo free Nokia 1100 up to the Treo 650. Luckily, CDMA does not have this issue.
    04-08-2007 12:09 PM
    It also depends on WHERE the phone is placed. If I put my Treo or my 8125 near a clock-radio, for example, periodically there is a rather unpleasant buzzing and clicking noise emitted from the radio. If it's more than about 18 inches away, it doesn't happen. I plug my 8125 into my home stereo, car stereo, computer speakers, and a dedicated powered speaker in my garage all the time with no noise issues.

Simple solution - place whatever dock you use more than a foot or so away from the FM receiver and the speakers and it won't be an issue.
    04-09-2007 10:12 AM
    I'm joking. I was channeling Archie, who "in spirit" says Apple would never release a device with such a design defect, and if it does it would be because its useful to know when your calls come in.

Surur
    I would appreciate you refrain from projecting your negative characterizations of me and let others judge for themselves.

PS: For what its worth, my name isn't archie. The word archie is in reference to landmark internet technologies like Archie and Croquet which provide for resource sharing, something you would know nothing about (ooops, maybe I should just let the reader discover this for themself :evil.
    04-09-2007 02:07 PM
    So, byronchurch and Stroths, I take it you have your answer in reading marcol's post.
    04-09-2007 02:23 PM
    So, byronchurch and Stroths, I take it you have your answer in reading marcol's post.
    To be fair, this was done w/an iPod Hifi system. The Bose Sounddock, JBL Onstage, and about 50 other devices remain to be seen. But thats a good job by Apple making the hifi resistant to the GSM feedback...
    04-09-2007 02:26 PM
    I would appreciate you refrain from projecting your negative characterizations of me and let others judge for themselves.
    But I enjoy it sooo much, Archie.

Surur
    04-09-2007 02:33 PM
    Surur, are you worried that if the Treo family fades that you will become a big fish in a smaller pond?
    04-09-2007 10:54 PM
    Surur, are you worried that if the Treo family fades that you will become a big fish in a smaller pond?
    Wait... huh?

bigger pond, perhaps?

too much beers...

:cheers:
    04-09-2007 11:09 PM
    You're assuming that Surur owns or even cares about the Palm brand.

I'd venture to say 'he doesn't' for both. Some of us here are tech enthusiasts and do not have name-brand loyalty (as opposed to yourself as hinted by your post and handle). Likewise, I own two Palms (650 and 700wx) but could really care less if they stay or go as a company.
    04-09-2007 11:18 PM
    I'd be very glad to hear someone tell me of there success with a gsm treo 680 and a great speaker dock

"Compatible only with Treo 650 smartphones sold for use with Sprint or Verizon Wireless."
    04-10-2007 12:22 AM
    To be fair, this was done w/an iPod Hifi system.
    It was actually it was done with Apple's dock:

http://aos.prf.hn/click/camref:1100l...7FF&nplm=MA045

which I bought as part of this kit:

http://aos.prf.hn/click/camref:1100l...F7E&nplm=MA242

It was connected up (using the supplied cables) to a Denon amp and Mission speakers.

The iPod Hi-Fi is something different:

http://aos.prf.hn/click/camref:1100l...34F&nplm=M9867

I don't have one of these and haven't tested it.
    04-10-2007 03:16 AM
    I just re-read, you said the dock was "plugged into a hifi." I assumed the ipod was plugged into it. My bad
    04-10-2007 10:26 AM
    I think it really depends on the phone. I have a Blackjack and it causes a ton of static, even on my TV and stereo that sits 10 ft away. My guess it that's it such a thin phone, there's not as much shielding. Of course, I don't really have anything to back that up, so who knows.

Joe
    05-05-2007 10:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD