Wipe and restore

akavbb

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
I was wondering if I perform a wipe and then a restore from iTunes, will I get any benefit or after the restoration my phone will revert to the exact same state as it was before the wipe?
Thank you

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering if I perform a wipe and then a restore from iTunes, will I get any benefit or after the restoration my phone will revert to the exact same state as it was before the wipe?
Thank you

Depends if you’re gonna do a restore from a backup or not.

If you’re going for a fresh install, nothing will revert to as it was before the wipe.

akavbb

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
Thank you for the reply. I am thinking to restore because of the vpn certificates and the email account setups.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Thank you

My understanding that restoring from an iTunes back up will make the phone identical to before. Restoring from an iCloud backup gives you everything as it was in terms of installed apps, layouts, call history, etc. but you’re limited to what’s backed up via iCloud. I might be wrong as I don’t do this often. If you want a fresh phone, don’t restore from either back up.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
If you’re going for a fresh install, nothing will revert to as it was before the wipe.

Well.... iCloud sync means that all of the items that you had set up to sync (Messages, Photos if you have iCloud Photo Library, Notes, Reminders, Calendars, Safari bookmarks, passwords, Contacts, Health data, etc.) will sync back even with a fresh install.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you

It will revert to the status of it at the time of the backup you’re restoring. Having said that, if you’re going to take the time to wipe it, you might as well set up as new, in my opinion.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2