iOS 5.1....question

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
if i want to update to 5.1 - do i need to start over from the JB? (I know there is no JB for 5.1) meaning do I need to update as new phone.. or just run the update like normal?

wondering what will happen if i do it as normal

thanks! lol

BrettAU

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
so you're saying you want to give up your jailbreak for iOS 5.1?

Well I'd restore from an old backup, then I'd update.

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
ok...
im torn between keeping the jb or updating.

I only really use the jb for themes... and the 5 icon dock. I guess i'll wait for some reviews of 5.1

thanks!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
it's funny, 6 months ago i could have given you a hundred reasons why you should stay jailbroken. now, my philosophy has taken a turn

currently i am on 5.1 coming from an iOS 5.0.1 JB. lately i have been entertaining taking a break from jailbreaking so this seemed like a good time to me. so you may ask "is 5.1 worth it?" i like the stability of a stock device. not that my jailbreak setup was unstable but if i even see a stutter i automatically think its related to the JB and chances it is. this update isn't your "bells & whistles" kind of update if that's what you're waiting on. umm, camera permanently on the LS is cool i guess, lol

not sure if i will stay on iOS 5.1 but at least i have the option too. even after Apple stops signing 5.0.1 since i have blobs and a custom firmware if needed. hell, i may just stay here until there is an Untethered JB for 5.1 (and nobody knows when that will be

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
yeah.. im with you. it stalls and stutters when doing thing while its jailbroken. even sliding down the notification center. annoying. I bought the 4s for its speed.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Why would you update? 5.1 is the same as 5.01, it didn't bring anything new, it might be a long time before an untethered JB is released for 5.1...

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
yeah.. im with you. it stalls and stutters when doing thing while its jailbroken. even sliding down the notification center. annoying. I bought the 4s for its speed.

My iPhone 4s is just as fast and responsive as when it was stock. However I don't theme it up. Just basic tweaks and stuff.

Why would you update? 5.1 is the same as 5.01, it didn't bring anything new, it might be a long time before an untethered JB is released for 5.1...

For sure I don't see the interest in 5.1 - updating to 5.0 was a different story.

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
iPhoto is probably the only reason for me to update to 5.1, but I am using the heck out of my wifi hotspot from PDA Net so I can't part with that. I don' have a lot of stuff installed on my JB, so I rarely have any issues. Listen, I came over from Droid, and after having to pull my battery 2x a day, dealing with random reboots, etc., if my phone has one issue of a redundant respring that is easily cleared up-I can deal.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
iPhoto is probably the only reason for me to update to 5.1, but I am using the heck out of my wifi hotspot from PDA Net so I can't part with that. I don' have a lot of stuff installed on my JB, so I rarely have any issues. Listen, I came over from Droid, and after having to pull my battery 2x a day, dealing with random reboots, etc., if my phone has one issue of a redundant respring that is easily cleared up-I can deal.

IPhoto is only for 5.1? Maybe that explains why it keeps crashing in my phone!!!! I can't get it to stay open, gets to part about updating library, then crashes

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
If you are on 5.0.1, it shouldn't even allow you to install it from the app store without performing an update to 5.1. There is a prompt that warns you of this normally...how did you even get it to download in the first place?

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I am not a iPhone owner yet but being able to use the wifi hotspot feature is a must have for me. So if I'm reading this right the newest iPhone out there does not have a untethered JB as of yet? I am totally ignorant when it comes to anything related to the iPhone so please be gentle:)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77