IOS 5 GM Maps Issues

jproubique

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
IS anyone else experiencing location issues in the GM? I was looking up an address and tapped current location to see how far away i was and it put my location WAY off. Anyone else?

B

bonesb

The "issue" has been an issue with the Maps app since iOS 4, I've reported it to Apple. There's something going on with the "Country" tag - I'm in the "United States", tapping on a Contact's address, for instance, and in not all cities (which I can't explain why it's just a localized problem" lands the Maps app's pin in one place - but then editing the address in the "Search or Location" data field to delete just the words "United States" and searching again drops the pin in a different place.

For instance, I'm wanting directions to somewhere here in Portland, and the pin gets dropped exactly where it should be with the full address in the Search field (which includes "United States". But tapping on the address for one of my attorneys in Vancouver WA United States drops the pin about 1/3 mile from his office - deleting the "United States" from the Search field drops the pin where it should be. Tapping on a friend's address in Vancouver is exactly where it should be, but my mom's address in rural WA is affected like the aforementioned attorney, about 1/2 mile up the road from where she lives until I delete the "United States" from her address. BUT...

It's not just the Maps app. Mapquest finds all addresses correctly no matter how they're entered. Telenav can't find my attorney's office exactly no matter how they're entered - but it does navigate to the same wrong address that the Maps app shows with "United States". Bing finds the attorney's address without the "United States" tag but is miles off with "United States" AND without it, but is nuts on if I delete the "United States" and the ZIP code. Go figure.

It's not just the Maps app...

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
No haven't had a issue with the native maps location. Might have been just a little bug that happens from time to time.

To add. I love how the native maps give you 2 different routes to choose from when choosing directions. I love that.

B

bonesb

No haven't had a issue with the native maps location. Might have been just a little bug that happens from time to time.

To add. I love how the native maps give you 2 different routes to choose from when choosing directions. I love that.

The issue seems to be with how the data gets parsed and/or interpreted to each app, and it's reproducible. The observations I related earlier, I get them every time in each app using identical data. I think Apple's stumped for now too.

And, only two routes? Most of my routes result in 3 proposed routes! Huh. And, Apple's got to work on their routing engine or nail their disclaimer a bit - a few of their routes from my home office routinely take me across a 5-line major arterial that has a raised barrier to prevent crossings - it *is* a US Highway. Just saying. I've got a 4x4 but it ain't jumping that barrier! :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2