People #CancelSpotify as it ditches Neil Young songs over a Joe Rogan spat

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This sentence from the article says it all.
“Neil Young told Spotify to remove his music…”

Well, Spotify is honoring the request so what’s the problem? In addition, if the stats found via the following link are correct then the bulk of their audience are millennials. Source: https://somespotify.wordpress.com/2018/03/08/spotify-target-audience-millenials/

I’d argue that those who are canceling and have canceled their subscription will not greatly impact Spotify.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Boycotting just contributes to the polarization epidemic that we're experiencing today. If I don't like or agree with something, I just don't tune in, subscribe, or whatever. Ideally, however, we all just need to agree to disagree and find a way to get along in spite of our differences.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This sentence from the article says it all.
“Neil Young told Spotify to remove his music…”

Well, Spotify is honoring the request so what’s the problem? In addition, if the stats found via the following link are correct then the bulk of their audience are millennials. Source: https://somespotify.wordpress.com/2018/03/08/spotify-target-audience-millenials/

I’d argue that those who are canceling and have canceled their subscription will not greatly impact Spotify.

Neil is 76 years old. I'll be 70 in November, so I'm in the age group that might like his music. Even so, I think I only have 1 of his songs in my 1,300 song Music playlist, which is heavily 70s Classic Rock.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Neil is 76 years old. I'll be 70 in November, so I'm in the age group that might like his music. Even so, I think I only have 1 of his songs in my 1,300 song Music playlist, which is heavily 70s Classic Rock.

In no way am I disrespecting Neil or those who listen to his music. According to the article, Neil told Spotify to remove his music allegedly because he disagrees with what someone else is saying about the covid vaccines. Spotify, is honoring his request and some people are canceling their subscriptions as if Spotify did something wrong.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
In no way am I disrespecting Neil or those who listen to his music. According to the article, Neil told Spotify to remove his music allegedly because he disagrees with what someone else is saying about the covid vaccines. Spotify is honoring his request and some people are canceling their subscriptions as if Spotify did something wrong.

While I am not a fan of Neil Young :D, it is his material, so it's my belief that Spotify was correct in complying.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
While I am not a fan of Neil Young :D, it is his material, so it's my belief that Spotify was correct in complying.

It is my understanding that artists get paid based on subscriptions and streaming (30 seconds or more). If that’s true then I’m not asking for my music to be removed from a audio streaming service simply because I disagree with what another person on that service is saying about something that has absolutely nothing to do with my music.

Agreeing to disagree appears to now be viewed as a complete surrender even though it’s far from it. Nowadays If someone says something you don’t like, people want to go all out and destroy the person as if he or she doesn’t have a right to an independent opinion or thought.

It’s crazy!

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
In no way am I disrespecting Neil or those who listen to his music. According to the article, Neil told Spotify to remove his music allegedly because he disagrees with what someone else is saying about the covid vaccines. Spotify, is honoring his request and some people are canceling their subscriptions as if Spotify did something wrong.

It’s not a difference of opinion. Rogan is a liar spreading dangerous lies that can get people killed. Spotify wants money and clearly doesn’t care if they have to help spread lies to get more of it. Neil doesn’t want to be tied to that. The people cancelling on twitter don’t want to be part of that. I don’t want to be part of that.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It’s not a difference of opinion. Rogan is a liar spreading dangerous lies that can get people killed. Spotify wants money and clearly doesn’t care if they have to help spread lies to get more of it. Neil doesn’t want to be tied to that. The people cancelling on twitter don’t want to be part of that. I don’t want to be part of that.

Everyone has their own views about what is being said and the reactions to it. For those who don’t want to be a part of Spotify because it is opting not to silence a man for his views then good for them. For those who agree with the man’s views or those who chose to keep their subscription and ignore the man’s views then good for them, too.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Everyone has their own views about what is being said and the reactions to it. For those who don’t want to be a part of Spotify because it is opting not to silence a man for his views then good for them. For those who agree with the man’s views or those who chose to keep their subscription and ignore the man’s views then good for them, too.

The man’s views are not rooted in reality. Truth matters. Dangerous lies matter. Neil Young does not want to partake in trading lies for money. That’s an important distinction. Like they say, you are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The man’s views are not rooted in reality. Truth matters. Dangerous lies matter. Neil Young does not want to be partake in trading lies for money. That’s an important distinction. Like they say, you are entitled to your own opinion but not your owns facts.

People have been lying since the beginning of time. Advertisers and retailers constantly lie to us just to get us in their stores and I don’t hear anyone clamoring to shut them down because of it. If someone tells you if you jump off a cliff, you’ll start flying, will you believe him and give it a try? Most people will not try it and some may. That’s how it is.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
People have been lying since the beginning of time. Advertisers and retailers constantly lie to us just to get us in their stores and I don’t hear anyone clamoring to shut them down because of it. If someone tells you if you jump off a cliff, you’ll start flying, will you believe him and give it a try? Most people will not try it and some may. That’s how it is.

That’s your argument? People lie a lot so it’s ok and you’re going to mask it as opinion? You’re going to completely ignore the fact that his lies contribute to people dying? I’m going to go on record as saying there is a difference between falsely telling me your detergent makes my sheets the softest and falsely telling me a life saving vaccine being offered during a pandemic is a hoax and harmful to me.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That’s your argument? People lie a lot so it’s ok and you’re going to mask it as opinion? You’re going to completely ignore the fact that his lies contribute to people dying? I’m going to go on record as saying there is a difference between falsely telling me your detergent makes my sheets the softest and falsely telling me a life saving vaccine being offered during a pandemic is a hoax and harmful to me.

A lie is a lie. Period. If he and others believe the vaccine is a hoax so what? Do you believe it’s a hoax? If not, good for you.

We were all told that we should take the vaccine to protect ourselves from covid and yet, numerous people have died from covid after having been vaccinated. Are you going to hold the CDC and the government accountable for what turned out to be a lie for those people or are you going continue believing the vaccines are a necessity? If the latter, good for you.

Let me go on record and say It doesn’t matter to me either way and I’m sure not going to try to shut you down for your stance. Some people will believe you and some will believe him and silencing will not stop that belief whichever it is.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
A lie is a lie. Period. If he and others believe the vaccine is a hoax so what? Do you believe it’s a hoax? If not, good for you.

We were all told that we should take the vaccine to protect ourselves from covid and yet, numerous people have died from covid after having been vaccinated. Are you going to hold the CDC and the government accountable for what turned out to be a lie for those people or are you going continue believing the vaccines are a necessity? If the latter, good for you.

Let me go on record and say It doesn’t matter to me either way and I’m sure not going to try to shut you down for your stance. Some people will believe you and some will believe him and silencing will not stop that belief whichever it is.

The CDC and government never said the vaccine would guarantee your surviving exposure. They did point out how the likelihood would drop significantly and it would make it more difficult for the virus to spread. But not just the vaccine. Social distancing and masks with the vaccine. And their science based data proved to be correct. You just made something up that wasn’t true. That’s a slippery slope you just stepped on. Isn’t it?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
These are all opinions, and there is no reason to become irate if you disagree with someone! I have COVD right now, and I am fully vaccinated and boosted. This is my second time at the COVID rodeo... happily, my symptoms are much less this time around. Perhaps, that's because of the vaccine, but who really knows?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The CDC and government never said the vaccine would guarantee your surviving exposure. They did point out how the likelihood would drop significantly and it would make it more difficult for the virus to spread. But not just the vaccine. Social distancing and masks with the vaccine. And their science based data proved to be correct. You just made something up that wasn’t true. That’s a slippery slope you just stepped on. Isn’t it?

That is not how it was relayed to the public. Anyway, no slippery slope over here. People believed that doing the things you mentioned above would protect them so they complied. A good deal of people ended up okay and a good deal of others did not. Was it a lie to them? Yes, no matter how well intentioned.

You appear to be an advocate of taking the vaccines and I’m okay with that. I’m also okay with those who do not advocate it. Both are being cautious and thinking of their overall safety and well-being, but yet, only one side sees it that way. The other is arguably selfish about it and automatically assume all non-vaccinated people are putting lives at risk even though with your own words, the vaccines do not guarantee one’s survival after exposure.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just so we’re clear, I do not personally know grover5, but I respect the heck out of him. He stands up for what he believes and puts forth a heckuva an argument.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
The man’s views are not rooted in reality. Truth matters. Dangerous lies matter. Neil Young does not want to partake in trading lies for money. That’s an important distinction. Like they say, you are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Neil Young knows first hand about the benefits of vaccination. He had polio as a child. Sure, vaccines aren't guaranteed to provide immunity. Medicine isn't an exact science. However, vaccines reduce the severity of the disease and thus the likelihood of death. The reason vaccines aren't as effective as they were claimed to be is because many people chose not to get vaccinated. That allowed the virus to continue spreading, and mutating which made the vaccines less effective.
Spotify chose profits over morality, which any other corporation would do- except maybe Apple since they increased their artist compensation after being called out. Spotify might be digging its own grave if more popular artists follow in Neil Young's path. Apple's been creeping up on Spotify's marketshare.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
These are all opinions, and there is no reason to become irate if you disagree with someone! I have COVD right now, and I am fully vaccinated and boosted. This is my second time at the COVID rodeo... happily, my symptoms are much less this time around. Perhaps, that's because of the vaccine, but who really knows?

The milder symptoms can be attributed to a combination of causes. Antibodies from the previous infection, antibodies from the vaccine, being infected with a milder variant of the virus, improved physical health, improved diet, reduced stress, etc. The vaccines were tested within a diverse research sample size in which all participants saw some sort of improvement after getting the vaccine.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
First, good for Neil for standing up for his beliefs. I saw him in concert back in the 80’s and he is quite the rocker! Had a great time.

It appears Spotify is complying with his request. That is their decision and I’m ok with that. I’m not a Spotify user.

Lastly, it’s statistically true that while vaccinated people can still catch Covid that it can reduce severity, hospitalization and death. We have data to prove that and I also see it with my own eyes every day.

I hope the dying, suffering and division ends soon.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2