Spotify overwhelmed with requests to cancel following Joe Rogan saga

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
What blows my mind is how there is no effort to tell people to ignore what Joe is saying and arguably no trust in people’s ability to decide for themselves whether Joe is full of it or not.

They want this guy shut down and they’re putting pressure on Spotify by flooding Spotify’s Customer Support with cancellation requests simply because they don’t like what he’s saying about vaccines. People can call it spreading disinformation, conspiracy theory and anything else they want to call what Joe is doing, but at its core they simply don’t like what he is saying about something they believe in.

We can’t keep saying how important it is for everyone to have a voice and then take steps to silent people when their voices say things we don’t like or disagree with.

These are the tactics of the modern left, howl it down, cancel it, lie about it. Allow people time to think about it ? nah.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
These are the tactics of the modern left, howl it down, cancel it, lie about it. Allow people time to think about it ? nah.

I see it a different way. I see it as the right says whatever they want including lying and then when they're confronted, now they want to apologize...history shows this to be true on many different occasions. Case in point the lady in Central Park with the Dog off the leash...I'm just going to leave that right there. No response needed.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I see it a different way. I see it as the right says whatever they want including lying and then when they're confronted, now they want to apologize...history shows this to be true on many different occasions. Case in point the lady in Central Park with the Dog off the leash...I'm just going to leave that right there. No response needed.

I see poor news habits, poor discipline recognizing cognitive biases we all hold, and a poor knowledge of information history. Add what Hans Rosling RIP called gap minder problems.

It's not easy to get past parochial or tribal behavior. It's not easy recognizing this stuff. I confess I was horrible earlier in life and getting better was a byproduct of doing IT work, InfoSec and people leadership. Just doing IT work and people management are not guarantees either.

Something ripe about this being about podcasts too is we're in an age where you can pursue quality within the garbage.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Say whatever you want. You want a fact though? Joe Rogan started out telling everyone the vaccine is good, everyone should get it, and having guests that corroborate that. Now he has done a 180. That is a fact. Another fact is that most of what he says is easily disproved. Have an opinion, that’s fine. When you have the reach of Rogan, or greater, you invariably lose some of your freedom of speech because what you say matters. For no other reason than your status and reach. As unfair as it is, you cannot treat Joe Rogan like any other person on the street. His words directly affect the thoughts and actions of others.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I mean, this really isn't cancel culture. We all have the right to speak with our wallets. If I don't support what a company is doing, then I will pull my money from them. They can make the decision to continue business as usual or to adjust. This is a capitalistic society in it's purest form. Free market. Choose where you spend your money. You don't like Joe Rogan and Spotify supporting him, then stop supporting Spotify.

They'll either adjust or they won't. But its their right to provide him a platform just as much as it's our right to find other providers to spend our money with.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
We can’t keep saying how important it is for everyone to have a voice and then take steps to silent people when their voices say things we don’t like or disagree with.

He's not being silenced. People are speaking with their wallets. He can say whatever he wants. But we don't have to support the platforms he's speaking on. It's really that simple.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
What blows my mind is how there is no effort to tell people to ignore what Joe is saying and arguably no trust in people’s ability to decide for themselves whether Joe is full of it or not.

They want this guy shut down and they’re putting pressure on Spotify by flooding Spotify’s Customer Support with cancellation requests simply because they don’t like what he’s saying about vaccines. People can call it spreading disinformation, conspiracy theory and anything else they want to call what Joe is doing, but at its core they simply don’t like what he is saying about something they believe in.

He's not silenced. Spotify is deleting his stuff - not any sort of regulator or autonomous state. He's a wealthy man who should surely be able to start a streaming elsewhere if he wants to break his lucrative deal. Spotify is only one of a few major players who host and stream Internet content. I'm not aware that he's excluded from others except for terms of his Spotify deal because again, this is his business deal and not censorship or law breaking.

It also seems perfectly natural and legitimate for other tenants to leave or object like most of us here have probably moved to different properties and neighborhoods.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
The bottom line is today’s society has become dependent on electronic devices and have lost the ability think and make up their own minds. They’re afraid to take a stand on something because they don’t want their friends to be mad at them and disown them. They believe whatever they read.