Spotify overwhelmed with requests to cancel following Joe Rogan saga

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Cancel culture strikes again. Some might believe George Orwell’s “1984” is taking form right before our eyes but the majority would think it’s silly to think that. As with all things, time will tell… :)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

NIIIIIIICE

giphy.gif

#MAGA

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What blows my mind is how there is no effort to tell people to ignore what Joe is saying and arguably no trust in people’s ability to decide for themselves whether Joe is full of it or not.

They want this guy shut down and they’re putting pressure on Spotify by flooding Spotify’s Customer Support with cancellation requests simply because they don’t like what he’s saying about vaccines. People can call it spreading disinformation, conspiracy theory and anything else they want to call what Joe is doing, but at its core they simply don’t like what he is saying about something they believe in.

We can’t keep saying how important it is for everyone to have a voice and then take steps to silent people when their voices say things we don’t like or disagree with.

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
What blows my mind is how there is no effort to tell people to ignore what Joe is saying and arguably no trust in people’s ability to to decide for themselves whether Joe is full of it or not.

They want this guy shut down and they’re putting pressure on Spotify by flooding Spotify’s Customer Support with cancellation request simply because they don’t like what he’s saying about vaccines. People can call it spreading disinformation, conspiracy theory and anything else they want to call what Joe is doing, but at its core, they simply don’t like what he is saying about something they believe in.

We can’t keep saying how important it is for everyone to have a voice and then take steps to silent people when their voices say things we don’t like or disagrees with.

Well said D couldn’t agree with you more.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I agree with D as well. And in my mind, all this publicity is just giving Joe and his opinion more attention! Now what I would like to see is a debate between Neil Young and Eric Clapton. That would be quite interesting.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
What blows my mind is how there is no effort to tell people to ignore what Joe is saying and arguably no trust in people’s ability to decide for themselves whether Joe is full of it or not.

They want this guy shut down and they’re putting pressure on Spotify by flooding Spotify’s Customer Support with cancellation requests simply because they don’t like what he’s saying about vaccines. People can call it spreading disinformation, conspiracy theory and anything else they want to call what Joe is doing, but at its core they simply don’t like what he is saying about something they believe in.

We can’t keep saying how important it is for everyone to have a voice and then take steps to silent people when their voices say things we don’t like or disagree with.

Silence? Nobody is silencing him. It’s business.

Spotify is saying he makes us money so we don’t care what he says or what the repercussions are for what he said. Spotifys customers are telling Spotify that they don’t want to support a company that banks a liar who spreads lies to his audience. Spotifys customers are also saying the quality of Spotify’s audio is freaking awful. And it is.

That’s not silencing or cancel culture. It’s speaking with your wallet. We do it everyday in a capitalist society that values money at times above all else. He can talk all he wants. Spotify will just have to decide if they want to keep paying him to talk or if they want to stop. The profit will decide for them. They’re not a super moral company after all.

This is how it works. A bozo speaks. Some bozos say I like that. I’m a bozo and now I found a bozo being funded to have a platform. The non bozos are saying I don’t like that. I’m going to give my money to a company who doesn’t use it to give a bozo a platform to lie. And bonus, now they can find an audio service that doesn’t blow. And double bonus, Spotify is losing business for running a crappy company.

This is all very straightforward. Everyone gets what they want. Now Rogan and Spotify can have some more alone time together.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Silence? Nobody is silencing him. It’s business.
People are attempting to pressure Spotify to drop Joe from its service which would effectively silence him therein.

Spotify is saying he makes us money so we don’t care what he says or what the repercussions are for what he said.
Spotify is a service that provide streaming audio and podcasts. It is up to the customer to pick and choose what to listen to unless they opt to allow Spotify to choose. Each entity that runs a podcast has people who are interested in what they have to say and yes, that includes Joe. He didn’t pick his listeners, but they sure as heck picked him. Spotify’s current take appears to be one in which it does not want to violate Joe’s right to his opinions.
Spotifys customers are telling Spotify that they don’t want to support a company that banks a liar who spreads lies to his audience.
How is it that people who do not subscribe to or support a particular person who’s viewpoint is different from theirs always seem to speak for everyone including the people who actually subscribed to and support the disliked person? The Spotify customers you’re speaking of are more than likely fans of Neil, but I can’t say for certain.
Spotifys customers are also saying the quality of Spotify’s audio is freaking awful. And it is.
Was the audio quality a big deal prior to this situation?

That’s not silencing or cancel culture. It’s speaking with your wallet. We do it everyday in a capitalist society that values money at times above all else. He can talk all he wants. Spotify will just have to decide if they want to keep paying him to talk or if they want to stop. The profit will decide for them. They’re not a super moral company after all.
You can spin it however you like, but it is still a means to silence Joe by pressuring Spotify which is cancel culture.

This is how it works. A bozo speaks. Some bozos say I like that. I’m a bozo and now I found a bozo being funded to have a platform. The non bozos are saying I don’t like that. I’m going to give my money to a company who doesn’t use it to give a bozo a platform to lie. And bonus, now they can find an audio service that doesn’t blow. And double bonus, Spotify is losing business for running a crappy company.
Why is he a bozo? Does even the poorest among us have a right to be heard? Let me ask you this. If Spotify obliges everyone who seeks to terminate their subscription and move to a different streaming service, would they leave Joe and Spotify alone? If not, why? And if Spotify were to end up gaining customers because of it, would those new subscribers also be belittled even the ones who are not there for Joe?

This is all very straightforward. Everyone gets what they want. Now Rogan and Spotify can have some more alone time together.
(Laughing)….I hear ya. ;)

Last edited:

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
People are attempting to pressure Spotify to drop Joe from its service which would effect I love you silence him therein.

The customer decides the size of his platform. Nobody is silencing him. This is just a weird take.

Spotify is a service that provide streaming audio and podcasts. It is up to the customer to pick and choose what to listen to unless they opt to allow Spotify to choose. Each entity that runs a podcast has people who are interested in what they have to say and yes, that includes Joe. He didn’t pick his listeners, but they sure as heck picked him. Spotify’s current take appears to be one in which it does not want to violate Joe’s right to his opinions. How is it that people who do not subscribe to or support a particular person who’s viewpoint is different from theirs always seem to speak for everyone including the people who actually subscribed to and support the disliked person? The Spotify customers you’re speaking of are more than likely fans of Neil, but I can’t say for certain. Was the audio quality a big deal prior to this situation?

Spotify has been promising to improve their audio quality for years. They keep
Missing deadlines and now are silent on it.

Spotify is not interested in protecting joes rights to his opinions. Lol. Come on man.

There are many people who don’t want a corporation to provide a platform provided for a man to lie about vaccines during a pandemic which threatens every person on the planet. I’d assume the vast majority. So those folks said, ditch him or we move on. Because you’re using our money to pay him to lie about vaccines during a pandemic. Spotify said move on. We like the money. So folks moved on. This is normal. This is how business works. This is how a democracy works. This isn’t about opinions. It’s about lying about vaccines during a pandemic and abandoning an irresponsible company for supporting it to make money.

You can spin it however you like, but it is still a means to silence Joe by pressuring Spotify which is cancel culture.

No it’s not. But you can also keep declaring that. You simply failed to support it with evidence.

Why is he a bozo? Is even the poorest among us have a right to be heard? Let me ask you this. If Spotify obliges everyone who seeks to terminate their subscription and move to a different streaming service, would they leave Joe and Spotify alone? If not, why? And if Spotify were to end up gaining customers because of it, would those new subscribers also be belittled even the ones who are there for Joe?

Why is Rogan a bozo? I have no idea. Education, the environment he grew up in, drug abuse, too many concussions? I didn’t make him. I’m simply observing him. For too many decades it would seem. Also, when did he become poor? Did he blow the 100 million Spotify gave him already?

You’ll have to expand on your section regarding leaving Rogan alone and belittling his listeners. I’m not following.

(Laughing)….I hear ya. ;)

I know, right? . My responses are in your quote. You did a much better job of that than I did.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Wait...am I missing something here. Are you guys/gals saying it's OK to give misinformation...LIE? Freedom of speech is one thing, however you can't yell 'FIRE' in a crowded movie theater either.
The trend I'm seeing in America is, it's OK to lie and cheat and people should just shut up and except that. Telling the truth is not respected anymore but lying is?
Did Joe knowingly give misinformation (LIE) about the Covid vaccine?

What am I missing here?

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Wait...am I missing something here. Are you guys/gals saying it's OK to give misinformation...LIE? Freedom of speech is one thing, however you can't yell 'FIRE' in a crowded movie theater either.
The trend I'm seeing in America is, it's OK to lie and cheat and people should just shut up and except that. Telling the truth is not respected anymore but lying is?
Did Joe knowingly give misinformation (LIE) about the Covid vaccine?

What am I missing here?

Yes, it's not okay to do some things even if you can when you consider matters of high functioning organizations and societies.

Interesting stuff to read and take in here because you catch people who don't understand stats and public health matters. Vaccines are not perfect just like some public goods. I think of what humans have done for sanitation and food safety as examples.

The debates also highlight the poor news and info habits many have. Highlight the importance of managing our cognitive biases.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
One plus one equals two...PERIOD. A lie is a lie no matter how much you sugar coat it.
If a teacher tells you that one plus one equals three and continues to lie about it, they should be removed from teaching FALSE information...PERIOD. This is not rocket science.
It's not about his/her view and they have the right to see it their way. Wrong is WRONG...What is wrong America?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro