My iPod Touch 6th Generation has iOS 11.2. I shut badge icon on and off, and the icon won't go away after I looked at all of my messages. Can someone help me? I don't know how to fix this and don't get iOS 11.2.
    12-05-2017 07:12 AM
    Have you read what I assume to be unread messages? Have you tried rebooting your iPhone or signing out of iMessage and then signing back in? If not, give those troubleshooting tips a try.
    12-05-2017 07:21 AM
    You may have a message from an unknown sender. Try tapping from Unknown Sender.
    12-05-2017 12:17 PM
    I have this issue sometimes when I switch between sending messages from iPhone, iPad and Mac in quick succession.
    For example I send a text on my iPhone, read the reply on my iPad and send a reply on my Mac all within a minute.
    The message then won’t get marked as read on other devices for a while.

If you have other devices make sure you read it there as well.

Hopefully iCloud messages will resolve this for me.

EDIT: this assumes you have more than one device
    12-05-2017 12:45 PM
    Does your number show in Messages > send and receive?
    12-05-2017 01:38 PM
    I own the exact same iPod (same gen and system update) and am currently having the exact same problem. My Messages app says I have 8 unread/new messages when I have 0! I often switch between my iPod, iPhone 4s (lol), and my Mac and they all have 0 unread/new messages. I have tried shutting off the badges, turning them back on, shutting down my iPod, doing a hard reset on my iPod, and still nothing. I hope you got your figured out! Let me know what worked if you did.
    04-10-2018 06:29 PM