Why can't I make calls using other devices and messages won't sync?

I

iMore Question

Hi all,

Recently I damaged my iPhone 5C, so my husband lent me his (exact same model) to use. I restored the phone to factory (not from my old backup), used my old SIM card, set it up with my iCloud and Mac ID and mostly it works just like my old one. BUT, since then, I'm not able to make calls using my iPad or laptop via my phone/Facetime. I always get a message that the call fails. Strangely, I'm able to receive calls on my other devices, just not call out.

Also, when I send a new message from my iPhone, it doesn't sync with my other devices, but syncing the other way around (iPad/laptop to phone) works.

I should add that making calls and sending messages with the phone itself works fine. It's just that I can't call out using my other devices and messages sent for my phone don't sync to my other devices.

I'm quite certain that all settings are correct on all devices (the iPad is set to make calls using my iPhone with the correct number, send and receive messages settings are correct, etc.).

Any thoughts? I really would rather not have to restore the phone again to try and get this problem resolved. Maybe this is some weird thing that will fix itself down the line?

Thanks to you all!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It’s best to disable FaceTime on all your devices and enable it back. This will reset the call and text forwarding features so you can use them as before.

Please register here to our forum to let us know if this helped.

berlingoodman

Jun 9, 2017
Visit site
So I was able to fix this. Turns out my old broken phone was still listed under devices in my iCloud account. That's why I couldn't make calls; because that phone was kaput and my other devices were looking for that one. So I merely removed it, set up the other one with FaceTime like normal and voila! Easy breezy. Thank you!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
So I was able to fix this. Turns out my old broken phone was still listed under devices in my iCloud account. That's why I couldn't make calls; because that phone was kaput and my other devices were looking for that one. So I merely removed it, set up the other one with FaceTime like normal and voila! Easy breezy. Thank you!

Thanks for letting us know. We appreciate you taking the time to join our forum and reply. This way other people will benefit from your experience.

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask. We’re happy to help.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2