Apple could be forced to make major changes to all of its portable devices under new EU law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It has been annoying to have to use two different kinds of cables. I look forward to the day when all of my devices can use the same cable, even though it will be awhile!

Reactions: Killeen92

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I have no problems with the lightning cable,as I don’t have loads of devices with usbc final terminals ! ( have a couple of 30 pin jobs though ) I also have little problem with the waste from cables and transformers when you compare them with cars and white goods.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It will take a while for all devices made by Apple to be switched from lightning to USB-C. My husband is still using an iPhone 8, for crying out loud! LOL!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Is it the size, or home button he likes?
He doesn't like the size, because it's not a plus! He definitely wants the home button, and dislikes the concept of FaceID... we debate this A LOT! He's a "drive it til it dies" kind of guy, which is why he's clinging to it. Of course, he's going to need a new iPhone since his beloved 8 is not eligible for iOS 17. That, in his mind, is when his phone is declared "DEAD"!

Reactions: Ledsteplin

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I use a Qi charger for my iPhone at home and USB type C everywhere else. My car only supports USB type C devices.

Apart from my USB drive enclosure that I use once per year, I just do not have any USB type A devices 😅

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I’m not the one that believes apple will replace MagSafe with usbc.

Yup those android users on 9-5 google are really thirsting for an iPhone. Wonder why that could be.

582851b81347aef3aed74716c2526dac.png

Reactions: scruffypig

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Good morning! It seems as though there’s another spirited debate here and I wanted to take this opportunity to remind everyone of iMore’s Community Rules and Guidelines:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The topic is USB-C. Has nothing to do with ANDROID. Stay on topic. Facts over feelings. more people. iPhone 15 USB_C THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN.View attachment 132700View attachment 132700

Some users don't want to be forced to buy new cables for a new USB-C to USB-C iPhone. I have 2 really good USB-C to Lightning cables. They're $30 cables. If I upgrade to an all USB-C iPhone, I'll have to buy all new cables. While I won't have a problem with that, there are many who would. And that may be part of the resistance. Apple keeps changing the charge cables necessary. 30 pin to Lightning to USB-C to lightning, and now USB-C to USB-C. What's next?

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The topic is USB-C. Has nothing to do with ANDROID. Stay on topic. Facts over feelings. more people. iPhone 15 USB_C THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN.View attachment 132700View attachment 132700

So then why did you claim apple was replacing MagSafe with usb c?

Are you asserting that the android users who voted on the poll you provided has nothing to do with the topic. Then why did you provide it.

Sure if by people you mean android users. iPhone users are happy with MagSafe.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
So then why did you claim apple was replacing MagSafe with usb c?

Are you asserting that the android users who voted on the poll you provided has nothing to do with the topic. Then why did you provide it.

Sure if by people you mean android users. iPhone users are happy with MagSafe.
Honestly, I’m getting very tired of this hostility against Android (and vice versa).

MagSafe is simply the extension to the Qi Wireless Charging protocol, which includes a magnet and bidirectional communications. No one is ripping that out, besides maybe Apple implementing Qi2, which builds on top of that.

As to USB type C replacing Lightning, good. At some point, Lightning needs to go, because of its inherent limitations – limited peripheral support.

Here’s my own prediction, USB type C will live side-by-side with Qi/Qi2/MagSafe, not replace one another.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I’m getting very tired of this hostility against Android (and vice versa).

MagSafe is simply the extension to the Qi Wireless Charging protocol, which includes a magnet and bidirectional communications. No one is ripping that out, besides maybe Apple implementing Qi2, which builds on top of that.

As to USB type C replacing Lightning, good. At some point, Lightning needs to go, because of its inherent limitations – limited peripheral support.

Here’s my own prediction, USB type C will live side-by-side with Qi/Qi2/MagSafe, not replace one another.

Is it hostility or just reality?
Since I’m neither an android or Samsung user their performance has no bearing on myself or my posts.

Usb-c or lighting, neither since MagSafe was introduced. The magnets make all difference .

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
99% of hostility towards Android and Samsung. usually comes from one individual who fails to realize that competition is a good thing. I had an individual tell me that I need to be blocked for defending Android. The crazy thing is the so called moderators allow this type of toxic behavior. when it's bashing Android. The place blame on the defenders. I enjoy all products Apple,Samsung, Android, IOS etc. Unfortunately,certain individuals can't have a productive conversation about the topic. Click on any thread that has Samsung or Android in the title. I can guarantee you that one individual lives there.

Sure, posting articles on how badly android is currently doing is bashing /s. You seem to get triggered by it, on an almost personal level.

Don’t know why you keep bad mouthing the mods and other members of the community, probably won’t end well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77