View Poll Results: Is a screen protector necessary?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

75 64.66%
  • No

41 35.34%
    I used power support anti glare on my 3g for almost a year but just recently made the switch to crystal. It feels and looks so much better...thinking about going no protector though...
    08-16-2009 06:11 PM
    Using Zagg, very good protection, but doesn't feel look and feel right, will try another make next time. Also very difficult apply without bubbles.
    08-18-2009 11:39 AM
    Just went naked a few days ago for a change of feeling with the screen.. the PS Anti-Glare was getting a bit worn anyways.
    08-19-2009 11:03 PM
    I don't use a case now or screen protector. I know I'm just asking for trouble without one but I love the way it looks.
    08-23-2009 01:36 AM
    I'm using the one that is included with the CandyShell case. No bubbles at all, but there is a little bit of lift near the button at the bottom and near the speaker at the top. Not sure if it is the installation job, or the protector itself causing this. Otherwise, can't tell that it is even there.
    08-24-2009 11:54 PM
    I'm using the one that is included with the CandyShell case. No bubbles at all, but there is a little bit of lift near the button at the bottom and near the speaker at the top. Not sure if it is the installation job, or the protector itself causing this. Otherwise, can't tell that it is even there.
    You'll be able to tell after a few days - the Speck one I had scratched up really bad.
    08-25-2009 08:52 AM
    You'll be able to tell after a few days - the Speck one I had scratched up really bad.
    OK, I've had it for a week now... you're right, if you look very carefully, there are scratches on the surface... similar to the back of the CandyShell case...

I replaced the protector with a generic one last night, and this time, zero bubbles and no lift. Seems like the one that came with the CandyShell is harder plastic, which somehow folded a bit near the weak points, causing it to not be able to stick properly to the screen.

I'm anal about placing the protector absolutely perfectly aligned, which means doing it over and over again. Found a technique by accident which helped tremendously. If you happen to get dust underneath during the install, and think you've ruined the protector, try washing it with water and liquid hand soap. Shake it a little, then apply. (I didn't worry too much about the few drops of water still on the protector.) Pushing out the little water bubbles is a lot easier than pushing out air bubbles, and it leaves no dust behind!

But oh the fingerprints!
    08-25-2009 12:31 PM
    PS Anti-Glare for me. There can be only one.
    08-25-2009 04:27 PM
    I use invisible shield so my iphone always stays new. Even if you put on a external skin over your iphone dust accumulates at the edges of the skin/screen, if you don't have a screen protector. So I would suggest to use it.
    08-28-2009 06:33 AM
    i had one but took it off cause i accidently trapped dust underneath it...i have a 2G and the screen is markless from the original owner and i hope to keep it that way also. One thing the screen protector does a gd job against tho, IMO, is fingerprints!
    08-31-2009 02:08 PM
    I like it much better not using any screen protector. I dont have any scratches on yet.
    09-02-2009 05:01 PM
    A screen protector is a definite requirement when you've got an expensive phone as this one.
    09-07-2009 07:50 AM
    As a professional photographer I spend a ton of money to get the sharpest lenses on the market. Then I cover the front lens element with a piece of plastic so I don't scratch it! NOT.
    This phone has the highest screen res of any phone on the market - I'm not going to compromise that sharpness and resolution by viewing it through a piece of plastic. I have the Invisible Shield system on my Macbook and it has serious discoloration in all the areas where my hands/palms/wrists rest while I'm typing. Considering the iPhone is designed to be constantly touched I think it would be only a matter of short time before haze and discoloration set in.
    07-07-2010 11:55 AM
    As a professional photographer I spend a ton of money to get the sharpest lenses on the market. Then I cover the front lens element with a piece of plastic so I don't scratch it! NOT.
    This phone has the highest screen res of any phone on the market - I'm not going to compromise that sharpness and resolution by viewing it through a piece of plastic. I have the Invisible Shield system on my Macbook and it has serious discoloration in all the areas where my hands/palms/wrists rest while I'm typing. Considering the iPhone is designed to be constantly touched I think it would be only a matter of short time before haze and discoloration set in.
    i guess u never heard of clear coat....
    07-07-2010 01:08 PM
    I had Clear-Coat on mine and LOVED it but the case I have on my iphone has little "teeth" hooky things that when you slide it on, pushes all clear coats off! so i had to remove the clear coat and get a refund from them.

I have the purple and black case from ATT which i love, and the only protection i can get for it, is to put it in a leather pouch belt clip thing. Because the pouches for the ip4 are very form fitting, i had to get the EVO leather pouch from Sprint which fits the iP4 with the purple case PERFECTLY.

I just hate the fingerprints on the iP4 without the Clear Coat. With the protection, there were never prints!
    07-11-2010 02:28 PM
    I think a screen protector is like having a bit of insurance on your screen to prevent scratches. I would never leave home without it.
    07-11-2010 05:13 PM
    I work at radioshack and we have a 3GS demo phone, and my associate had it in her pocket with her keys and it came out with a big scratch!! From that point on I always use a screen protectors on my phones and on my iPad! I'm not taking any chances!!!
    07-11-2010 05:41 PM
    Phantomskinz is the only nor I us now. If done properly u can't tell it's even on and smoother then just the normal glass.

Combine the phantomskin and casemate gelli. Win win.
    07-12-2010 06:48 PM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD