iPad Pro reviews are...FRUSTRATING!

Jeff Hubert

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone, I just need to let off a little steam. I've read many reviews from journalists and watched a few video reviews about the iPad Pro and I gotta say that even though most of these reviews praise the hardware they pretty much all say that it can't replace a laptop the way that "they" use a laptop. They go on to complain about no mouse support and other differences to the laptop. This just makes me want to say AHHHHRRRRRGGGGG!!!

WTF people? The iPad is not a laptop and should not be expected to work as a laptop, laptops are so last decade, really! My refridgerator is a fridge and not an oven. Sure I can strap some coils on to the top and make it heat up my food but if I find that clunky I can't complain about the usefulness of the fridge.

Can the iPad Pro replace the laptop? Well of course it can, don't be ridiculous. For a journalist or serious digital artist to say and complain that you can't do serious work with the iPad pro is not the fault of the iPad Pro, its the fault of the user. These people are living in the early 2000's. Come on learn something before you speak. I've replaced my laptop with my iPhone for crying out loud. Sure i can't run a Plex server on my iPhone/iPad (can I? I haven't tried) and I can't run full photoshop but I can do pretty convincing image adjustment on the iPad pro with much simpler apps.

If your willing to come into the current century and LEARN something instead of trying to make a new device work like a old device you'll do just fine. In fact you'll do better. Gee remember the days of the first iMac and we all thought we would die without a floppy drive. Apple is a leader and sometimes they lead us into an area that may at first be uncomfortable and require a new way of thinking. Remember the lack of the physical keyboard on the first iPhone? What were they thinking?

Remember what Steve Jobs said about some people needing trucks vs cars, its true some need a laptop, desktop or server, those are trucks. Most need a car, thats a iPad. Learn how to get the most out of your iPad and you'll be fine. Don't be lazy, get with the program, LEARN how to use the new technologies out there.

Sure, these journalists/artists can complain because they can't live on a iPad Pro because they think they can't do something but their just being lazy. With One Drive, iCloud, Dropbox and even wifi enabled hard drives, no one should say they can't get work done if your work doesn't need a truck. Getting a truck is in some cases a way to avoid learning something new.

It's like a car reviewer saying "This sedan has some amazing automotive technology but lacks the ability to carry a 4'x8' sheet of plywood. I'll stick to my pick up truck." For the purposes of driving around the sedan is fine. The iPad Pro turns that sedan into a corvette, not a bad thing.

I watched a short first impression video of the iPad Pro and it was clear that the host had know idea on how to use the device before trying unsuccessfully demo the device. He couldn't even figure out how to attach the case. So his first impression was "Meh...", it was very sad. It you don't know what your doing don't post first impression video's, PLEASE!!!

Don't get me wrong if you know you need a truck/laptop then get that but don't criticize the iPad for not being more like a laptop, its not a laptop. :mad:

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone, I just need to let off a little steam. I've read many reviews from journalists and watched a few video reviews about the iPad Pro and I gotta say that even though most of these reviews praise the hardware they pretty much all say that it can't replace a laptop the way that "they" use a laptop. They go on to complain about no mouse support and other differences to the laptop. This just makes me want to say AHHHHRRRRRGGGGG!!!

WTF people? The iPad is not a laptop and should not be expected to work as a laptop, laptops are so last decade, really! My refridgerator is a fridge and not an oven. Sure I can strap some coils on to the top and make it heat up my food but if I find that clunky I can't complain about the usefulness of the fridge.

Can the iPad Pro replace the laptop? Well of course it can, don't be ridiculous. For a journalist or serious digital artist to say and complain that you can't do serious work with the iPad pro is not the fault of the iPad Pro, its the fault of the user. These people are living in the early 2000's. Come on learn something before you speak. I've replaced my laptop with my iPhone for crying out loud. Sure i can't run a Plex server on my iPhone/iPad (can I? I haven't tried) and I can't run full photoshop but I can do pretty convincing image adjustment on the iPad pro with much simpler apps.

If your willing to come into the current century and LEARN something instead of trying to make a new device work like a old device you'll do just fine. In fact you'll do better. Gee remember the days of the first iMac and we all thought we would die without a floppy drive. Apple is a leader and sometimes they lead us into an area that may at first be uncomfortable and require a new way of thinking. Remember the lack of the physical keyboard on the first iPhone? What were they thinking?

Remember what Steve Jobs said about some people needing trucks vs cars, its true some need a laptop, desktop or server, those are trucks. Most need a car, thats a iPad. Learn how to get the most out of your iPad and you'll be fine. Don't be lazy, get with the program, LEARN how to use the new technologies out there.

Sure, these journalists/artists can complain because they can't live on a iPad Pro because they think they can't do something but their just being lazy. With One Drive, iCloud, Dropbox and even wifi enabled hard drives, no one should say they can't get work done if your work doesn't need a truck. Getting a truck is in some cases a way to avoid learning something new.

It's like a car reviewer saying "This sedan has some amazing automotive technology but lacks the ability to carry a 4'x8' sheet of plywood. I'll stick to my pick up truck." For the purposes of driving around the sedan is fine. The iPad Pro turns that sedan into a corvette, not a bad thing.

I watched a short first impression video of the iPad Pro and it was clear that the host had know idea on how to use the device before trying unsuccessfully demo the device. He couldn't even figure out how to attach the case. So his first impression was "Meh...", it was very sad. It you don't know what your doing don't post first impression video's, PLEASE!!!

Don't get me wrong if you know you need a truck/laptop then get that but don't criticize the iPad for not being more like a laptop, its not a laptop. :mad:

Hi & thanks for sharing some of our frustration; although I am still waiting for my unit to test it out and validate my impressions, I just wanted to say that I feel your pain, but I am not too worried. See, the exact same concerns, or complaints were posted by some of the very same authors in 2010 upon the original iPad release, I actually remember them. The original iPad was not supposed to gain any traction due to its limitations and awkward form factor, lack of apps, and no 4G connectivity. Doomed!

Naturally, it has been five years since that day and we have all familiarized with the platform relatively well understanding what it is (not) supposed to do. The problem is that the tech pundits rely on stereotypical knowledge/behaviours to judge and determine the added value. After all, we have been getting some many gadgets from other players trying to catch up, or the key ones trying to define the next-best-thing, they're bound to ignore the proverbial elephant in the room. I am saying that because that's exactly what happened in 2010. Yet, the iPad & the platform have proven robust and with NO prearranged apps to support that; fast-forward to 2015, we've got tons of functional and beautiful apps to support the user base with awesome features. For instance, creating website wireframes (Adobe Comp), sketching (Paper), or coding (Coda for iOS).

So, let's all sit back, chill out & enjoy the show. Myself, I have decided to ditch the computer entirely and will not miss it, not with such device.

Cheers!

Jeff Hubert

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi & thanks for sharing some of our frustration; although I am still waiting for my unit to test it out and validate my impressions, I just wanted to say that I feel your pain, but I am not too worried. See, the exact same concerns, or complaints were posted by some of the very same authors in 2010 upon the original iPad release, I actually remember them. The original iPad was not supposed to gain any traction due to its limitations and awkward form factor, lack of apps, and no 4G connectivity. Doomed!

Naturally, it has been five years since that day and we have all familiarized with the platform relatively well understanding what it is (not) supposed to do. The problem is that the tech pundits rely on stereotypical knowledge/behaviours to judge and determine the added value. After all, we have been getting some many gadgets from other players trying to catch up, or the key ones trying to define the next-best-thing, they're bound to ignore the proverbial elephant in the room. I am saying that because that's exactly what happened in 2010. Yet, the iPad & the platform have proven robust and with NO prearranged apps to support that; fast-forward to 2015, we've got tons of functional and beautiful apps to support the user base with awesome features. For instance, creating website wireframes (Adobe Comp), sketching (Paper), or coding (Coda for iOS).

So, let's all sit back, chill out & enjoy the show. Myself, I have decided to ditch the computer entirely and will not miss it, not with such device.

Cheers!

I agree and very well put!

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Really, you could see it coming from a mile off. It isn't as though Apple announced some major new feature like mouse support or windows for iPad Pro. I'm not to sure why anyone expected the new iPad to be anything more than a larger iPad. The larger screen is certainly suitable for prolonged work usage but if your current iPad isn't meeting your professional needs, the Pro isn't going to magically fix that.

This is the way things go in the tech world though. Plenty of bloggers feel like they had to say something even though there really wasn't much to say.

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Great post! My iPads over the years have replaced a laptop, going back to 2010 when the device was extremely limited. With all the functionality we have today, it certainly can be a laptop replacement. I get 90% of my work done on my Air 2. I still need a "truck" for some things, but not too many.

Some things may even be a little harder to do on an iPad, but the convenience of the iPad means I get things done in places I wouldn't have been able to wit ha laptop.

msalderson

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping it will be a good companion to my iMac. I've held off on buying a laptop for my personal use, and have had two iPads, original and iPad 3, in the past. It will take a short time until the developers get some new stuff out to everyone.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
But the Surface Pro has a real i5 processor, a 'proper' OS, and gives you the whole web, the way it was meant to be. 🙄

Of course we all know it's actually a dual core ULV processor i.e. a mobile version, and that an OS is an OS is an OS.

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
But the Surface Pro has a real i5 processor, a 'proper' OS, and gives you the whole web, the way it was meant to be. ��

Of course we all know it's actually a dual core ULV processor i.e. a mobile version, and that an OS is an OS is an OS.

Nice :)

And of course, any marvel piece of engineering is as good as the apps that you can get, so you go figure ;)

Cheers!

Nursedad

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Nice post.

I've read / watched several of the tech reviews (e.g. The Verge / etc...) and they all pretty much say the same thing. There seems to be this over zealous infatuation with the size. Folks...let's just agree that it's big. Rather than focusing purely on the size...perhaps some more specific discussion on how the end-user can leverage and enjoy the enhanced screen real estate.

Your best point here is around how many people are trying to fit the iPad Pro into the same genre as a laptop like the Macbook. I don't think that Tim Cook believes that this device will replace the need for laptops. What I believe he is hoping for is that people will find new ways to get stuff done and create new approaches to productivity by leveraging current and newly developed applications that take advantage of the hardware platform offered in the Pro.

The potential for the Pro is limitless as long as the user doesn't put limits on its capabilities. If we try to treat it as a laptop, we'll all walk away disappointed. Rather, if we use it for what it is and develop new workflows that meet our individual needs, we may just actually move out of the 2000's.

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I bought my first iPad in 2010 as a laptop replacement (really, at that time I didn't have the money for a laptop). With Pages and Numbers, I was able to get a lot of work done between my two jobs. The idea was to free up my weekends.

So I think the laptop replacement argument has merit. One of my jobs got me a MacBook Air, but now for simplicity I would rather have just one device. That's a little less important now with iCloud and all the other cloud services and iPhone tethering.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I bought my first iPad in 2010 as a laptop replacement (really, at that time I didn't have the money for a laptop). With Pages and Numbers, I was able to get a lot of work done between my two jobs. The idea was to free up my weekends.

So I think the laptop replacement argument has merit. One of my jobs got me a MacBook Air, but now for simplicity I would rather have just one device. That's a little less important now with iCloud and all the other cloud services and iPhone tethering.

It only has merit if you also have a desktop computer. Otherwise, how will you sync with iTunes?

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It only has merit if you also have a desktop computer. Otherwise, how will you sync with iTunes?

I never connect to iTunes any more, but there are things I can't do which is why I need the Mac. I would love to be able to do everything on an iPad, but at least I get a lot of work done when I'm away from my desk. In that way it's a laptop replacement.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I never connect to iTunes any more, but there are things I can't do which is why I need the Mac. I would love to be able to do everything on an iPad, but at least I get a lot of work done when I'm away from my desk. In that way it's a laptop replacement.

I don't ever connect to iTunes either. But I do run into things sometimes that you just can't do on iOS. Not many though.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivekintech1