Hotspot questions

simplylaurakb

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Does it work to FaceTime on one iPad using the hotspot on another?

Hi, all -
I have a new ATT 64 GB iPad(3). It's my third iPad - I sold the first one to buy my iPad 2, and gave my iPad 2 to my husband when I bought this one. I've always had AT&T, but I'm thinking of trading this one in for a Verizon model, mainly because of the hotspot.

But I want to make sure I understand how it works. If I have the hotspot on, my husband should be able to use his iPad 2 on WiFi without purchasing data for himself, right? Would we be able to use FaceTime on his iPad through the hotspot on my iPad?

I'm slightly concerned about coverage, too. I'm in the northern Maryoand suburbs of DC, and it doesn't look like we have Verizon LTE here. But I travel quite a bit (domestic only, unfortunately) for work, which is when I am most likely to use 3G/4G/LTE, and Verizon appears to have far more extensive coverage nationwide.

Thoughts??

Thanks!

Laura

Last edited:

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes your husband could use his WiFi only iPad on your hotspot without having to purchase a data plan but no couldn't do FaceTime unless you both were connected to Wifi. I really think AT&T will eventually let you use the hotspot because they don't want Verizon to beat them. And AT&T has great speeds on 3G/4G/LTE. Plus Verizon only offered 2GB of data for $30 whereas AT&T gives 3GB for the same price. I originally had the Verizon version and took it back and got the AT&T version. I think I'll be happier.

simplylaurakb

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I meant we could use FaceTime to chat with someone else on WiFi, not each other... It also seems like Verizon has LTE in SO many more places. I mainly just use WiFi, except when I travel. Plus when we travel together we'd have either option. I just don't know what to do! Sigh...

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes you could FaceTime with someone else. But you better be in a Verizon LTE coverage are because their 3G just isn't conducive to doing video chat. I know people who can get speeds of almost 10Mbps on their AT&T iPad in a 4G area, not LTE. I think those are superb speeds.

My iPhone is with Verizon and I'd gladly exchange it for an AT&T one.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77