Family calendar on iOS Outlook not sharing.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I just switched to using Outlook on my iPhone and iPad. When I made the switch, I was able to add the iCloud family calendar and it shows every iCloud family event that was in my Calendar app. HOWEVER, any changes I make to the Family calendar are not changing my wife’s calendar. And, I’ve noticed that changes on Outlook calendar are not reflected in either the Calendar app on my iPhone/iPad, nor on the iCloud web page. In other words, the Outlook app is not “talking” to iCloud. I’ve tried everything I can find (Google search) to fix this, but no joy. Any suggestions?

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
1) select calendar in bottom task bar, 2) open the accounts sidebar, 3) select add an account, 4) enter email associated with account (my iCloud email address), and 5) enter password for that account. I seem to recall that it wanted a “one-time password” to be generated by Apple, so I signed into my Apple ID and did that. I copied and pasted that one-time password and Outlook added the iCloud calendar.

What has me baffled is that Outlook instantly imported all the Family calendar events from my Apple calendar, but now it seems completely disconnected from that calendar. Unfortunately, virtually all the related Google search items pertain to desktop Outlook. The ios Outlook app is different and so the advice I find doesn’t apply.

At this point, I’ve just opened my Apple calendar and entered Family events there because they are still syncing with iCloud and thus are sent to my wife’s calendar.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I have tried it on my iPad, and it seems to work.

Can you try setting up the account again?
First of all, thanks for the suggestion Edwin! I appreciate you trying it on your iPad!

I deleted the account and set it up again. It re-entered ALL the iCloud events again (effectively doubling them UGH!), but I figured out which were the previous events and deleted them all. After some experimentation, I figured out that Outlook IS syncing with iCloud (on Safari) fairly quickly and with Apple Calendar with a delay. I suppose the delay syncing to Apple Calendar makes sense given that we are at sea and using satellite wifi. I’ll test again using a cell signal in a couple of days when we reach land.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
First of all, thanks for the suggestion Edwin! I appreciate you trying it on your iPad!

I deleted the account and set it up again. It re-entered ALL the iCloud events again (effectively doubling them UGH!), but I figured out which were the previous events and deleted them all. After some experimentation, I figured out that Outlook IS syncing with iCloud (on Safari) fairly quickly and with Apple Calendar with a delay. I suppose the delay syncing to Apple Calendar makes sense given that we are at sea and using satellite wifi. I’ll test again using a cell signal in a couple of days when we reach land.
From the looks of it, it seems that your iCloud was initially imported by Outlook instead of being synchronized.

That’s why it didn’t delete those when you deleted the account.

Reactions: doogald

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Again, thank you Edwin. The family calendar in Outlooks seems to be working perfectly. So, of course, now there is a new problem. The Outlook contacts (which has all my contacts) and the Apple contacts (which mysteriously seems to have about a dozen contacts) won’t sync. This is not a problem for mail, but it is for Messages. Most of my text messages (including those from my wife!) show only a phone number.

<Rant> In the last few weeks, I have learned Google is almost worthless when it comes to troubleshooting problems like this. When I searched for a solution to this problem, the first suggested solution was to open Outlook on my pc. I didn’t bring it on my vacation. Solution #2 involved using iTunes. Again, I have no PC. Solution #3 involved using iCloud. The ipad version of iCloud doesn’t include Contacts. Solutions 4-20 are similarly useless because they inevitably refer to changing some setting that does not exist. I suspect this is due to changes in ios software that have eliminated that setting. Not to mention the fact that, if there was a setting to “Sync Outlook and iCloud contacts,” do you really think I wouldn’t have tried that?@#$@#%*@??? </Rant>

So, now that I’ve got that out of my system, any suggestions on how to sync Outlook (the iOS app) and iCloud contacts?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
So, now that I’ve got that out of my system, any suggestions on how to sync Outlook (the iOS app) and iCloud contacts?
I have not seen any setting in Outlook itself to synchronize data into iOS.

You would need to set up the account in iOS for accounts to flow into the system.

P.S.: I have noticed that Outlook screwed up some of my contacts really bad. It removed some of the fields and moved others into the Nickname field of my contacts 😥

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77