After Updating to iOS 17, my calls and hotspot randomly disconnects and enters Airplane Mode.

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
After the update while on the phone it will randomly disconnect my call and hotspot go to airplane mode then shortly goes out of airplane mode to normal. Never did this until updating to 17 and I travel the same areas every day. I'm on the 17.0.2.

Any suggestions? I've restarted phone several times no fix. I've seen this has been a issue on past versions but none of those fixes are available on the 14. Right now the only fix I know of is go back to my Samsung phone till apple fixes this.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Are you losing network coverage or is your phone actually going in and out of airplane mode.

If it’s the former you might have to contact your carrier for support, if it’s the latter you should contact Apple support to get it resolved, could be a hardware issue.

By contact Apple support, download the Apple support app from the App Store. Best of luck op.

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
Are you losing network coverage or is your phone actually going in and out of airplane mode.

If it’s the former you might have to contact your carrier for support, if it’s the latter you should contact Apple support to get it resolved, could be a hardware issue.

By contact Apple support, download the Apple support app from the App Store. Best of luck op.

I really don't know. I usually don't have issues where is doing it. I watch the phone when it does it, it will show sos, airplane mode then eventually it will start working again. A couple times it did it when I was on a conference call a call came in, I answered it so I could add them to the conference. As soon as I get the answer button everything dropped.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I really don't know. I usually don't have issues where is doing it. I watch the phone when it does it, it will show sos, airplane mode then eventually it will start working again. A couple times it did it when I was on a conference call a call came in, I answered it so I could add them to the conference. As soon as I get the answer button everything dropped.

If you see the little airplane then i suspect it might be a hardware issue.

Download the Apple support app from the App Store select your phone, and log the complaint, the app should take it from there.

I would suggest resetting network settings, but if it’s a hardware issue that won’t solve anything.

Edit:
Is it happening in one location or multiple locations throughout the day?

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
If you see the little airplane then i suspect it might be a hardware issue.

Download the Apple support app from the App Store select your phone, and log the complaint, the app should take it from there.

I would suggest resetting network settings, but if it’s a hardware issue that won’t solve anything.

Edit:
Is it happening in one location or multiple locations throughout the day?

Multiple locations.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
02ceedcaa08fb86e00988e8decdf81e4.jpg

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
I did the apple support deal. It just said to bring in for repair. I'm not sold that's the issue, it was fine until the update was put on the phone.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I did the apple support deal. It just said to bring in for repair. I'm not sold that's the issue, it was fine until the update was put on the phone.

By repair they will probably replace the phone.

You can still try to reset network settings, if you are so inclined.

Settings app > general > transfer or reset phone > reset network settings

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
By repair they will probably replace the phone.

You can still try to reset network settings, if you are so inclined.

Settings app > general > transfer or reset phone > reset network settings
I did that. We'll see what happens. I was kind of surprised they listed best buy and some computer store.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I did that. We'll see what happens. I was kind of surprised they listed best buy and some computer store.

Do share the outcome and your experience when all is said and done.

Apple support network is pretty vast. Apple Store is usually the best place, however there are alternatives, if you don’t have an Apple Store near by.

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site

Apple support network is pretty vast. Apple Store is usually the best place, however there are alternatives, if you don’t have an Apple Store near by.

Day 1 after network settings reset no issues, but I did go a different then normal route today. I will update after few days of use.

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site

Ok finally getting back to this. I'm still testing this and have a couple more tests. I've been in contact with apple and they are sending a replacement phone, but before I accept a refurbished phone I'm going to keep testing a couple days.

I've gotten to the point 2 days ago I was dropping everything on average of one time per hour. Today I dropped 3 or 4 times. I found a setting that I'm going to try. At first I set it to LTE, but not sure I should do that. It was set to 5G auto. Do you have suggestions on these settings. I am in Midwest and 5G isn't in a lot of areas which makes me think this could be tower work upgrading to 5G also. If you Google IOS 17 Dropping calls you will see this is a issue and changing this to 4G is a suggested fix along with reset network settings which isn't fixing it. I did do the update today also but haven't been out and about with it yet. There hasn't been any mention of it fixing call drops though
1ae7674b9e8103efef0e1ffd9f9bcb54.jpg

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
After trying everything and apple replacing my phone the issue remains. My Samsung holds the calls in exact same areas, so I had to go back.

Samsung phones are having dropped calls also if they are using the esim instead of physical SIM according to Google search. I'm not a expert by any means but I think it's the esim having issues.. It's a good guess as that's a common thing between the 2. I am in a rural area so 5G isn't fully up and going yet. Where I find the iPhone dropping all signal is usually in areas where I am going into 5G areas, the iPhone switches to 5G while on 4G and the Samsung physical SIM card stays on 4G while on calls. I've been keeping the screens on watching the signals and iPhone is only one that would switch to 5G while on call, even if I had LTE only selected.

I'm a trucker and go in the exact same areas and get the same results stated above on both phones every time. It's not the signal each phone shows I'm going by, it's the actions. I can pinpoint the exact area's I'll drop the signal on the iPhone and the Samsung drops never the whole day. I'm on the phone not just looking at signals.

This isn't a iPhone bash, as I stated Samsung esim phones are having dropped calls also. Fortunately Samsung is still offering both esim and physical SIM card options, that won't last forever so hopefully they figure out esim is having issues and fix it. Anyone that thinks esim is great did not go thru Verizon *228 days.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I am in Midwest and 5G isn't in a lot of areas which makes me think this could be tower work upgrading to 5G also.

I’d say this is adding to the issue, but may not be the root cause.

In in SC and have Tmobile. I’m on my phone and average of 4 hours a day, either phone calls or Zoom/Teams meetings. I haven’t had any dropped calls. I also have a 14PM with eSIM and iOS 17.1.1.

3c8b78879a5dc8414c2c16a478906d48.jpg

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
I’d say this is adding to the issue, but may not be the root cause.

In in SC and have Tmobile. I’m on my phone and average of 4 hours a day, either phone calls or Zoom/Teams meetings. I haven’t had any dropped calls. I also have a 14PM with eSIM and iOS 17.1.1

I'm usually around 8 hours a day calls and hotspot usage. Are you traveling or in the same area all day? I have no issues either if not traveling and stay in my local area. As I said it feels like it's a issue with 4G going to 5G or 5 to 4. I've been trying different settings for over a month, I even added another line so I could do side by side with my Samsung. I've tried every setting above as one of the fixes people suggest online for this issue was select LTE. I tested so much I noticed the Samsung stays on 4G while on a call and you enter and leave a 5G area where the iPhone changes to 5G and back to 4G, which probably is the issue, the cellular system in my areas isn't ready for that switching back and forth yet where it can't auto switch 4G to 5G or reverse yet. That sounds logical until you factor in the fact Samsung phones are having similar issues if they are using esim versus physical SIM and the was no issue until IOS 17.

The Samsung does not drop the signal or call ever in the same travel areas as I am in the same areas every day so that's as controlled testing there is for mobility testing. The iPhone is reliable at dropping in the same areas every time.

I will add.. When the iPhone drops it's not the normal drop. It goes to no service then SOS then gets signal again. I have to turn the hotspot on again and such, which makes me think it could be 5G growing pains. The iPhone worked just fine before IOS 17... So what changed? I gave up and just started using the Samsung again. I'm not bashing iPhone, there is no perfect phone or there.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Yes but you're staying on one system not traveling system to system, dealing with hand off's to doesn't towers

Normally, yes. However, on the weekends and during vacation in all over the states of North and South Carolina with no dropped calls.

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
Normally, yes. However, on the weekends and during vacation in all over the states of North and South Carolina with no dropped calls.
Well then you're lucky. Just because you don't have issues doesn't mean others don't. It's known problem.. Google IOS 17 dropped calls. Maybe your 5G network is built out better, it's not here, 5G is just starting to roll out in the Midwest. I don't know, I just know my issues, I don't have them with Android. It's obviously a iPhone issue this time around, it's not the end of the world. I'm posting my ordeal and my findings so other that have this issue can see it when they search for issues if they have a issue. This isn't Android is better then iPhone post

My buddy updated to IOS 17 in Indiana and right after the update his flash and cameras stopped working immediately. I didn't have that happen, down mean it didn't. Enjoy the fact yours is working.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Well then you're lucky. Just because you don't have issues doesn't mean others don't. It's known problem.. Google IOS 17 dropped calls. Maybe your 5G network is built out better, it's not here, 5G is just starting to roll out in the Midwest. I don't know, I just know my issues, I don't have them with Android. It's obviously a iPhone issue this time around, it's not the end of the world. I'm posting my ordeal and my findings so other that have this issue can see it when they search for issues if they have a issue. This isn't Android is better then iPhone post

My buddy updated to IOS 17 in Indiana and right after the update his flash and cameras stopped working immediately. I didn't have that happen, down mean it didn't. Enjoy the fact yours is working.

My apologies that you assumed just because I’m not having problems that nobody else should be having problems either.

However, I am inclined to believe that not all iPhones are built identically either.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77