Safari only guest mode?

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I recently noticed that when using guest mode, it's only allowing access to Safari. I let my sister use it and it froze, and without access to anything else I had no way of exiting and going back to the admin account. Not sure when it was enabled, but I would like to turn it off so that it doesn't restart the laptop every time and so I don't have issues like I just did.

Already looked in accessibility and security/privacy in system preferences with no luck. Anyone know where I would find that option?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hello! I have no clue about this. But one of our computer whizes will be along soon.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
That's all the guest account allows. To do more than that you'll need to create an actual user account.

It wasn't always like that though, was it? I remember in Mavericks I could use a guest account and it would be like a fresh install of the OS, but I had access to everything. And it didn't reboot my Macbook every time I used it.

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I think it was like that it Mavericks as well. Further back I don't remember. Guest mode is meant to be really limited so the guest has no access to anything other than the web.
Hmm...maybe I just had another account labeled "Guest," and not an actual guest account. But it definitely did have more access than that.
Thanks

Lakesha DuBose

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Check and see if you have File Vault enabled. I had that same problem a few days ago. Go to system preferences/users and groups, unlock and click on guest account, it says that if FileVault is turned on guest users can only access safari. Hope this helps.

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Check and see if you have File Vault enabled. I had that same problem a few days ago. Go to system preferences/users and groups, unlock and click on guest account, it says that if FileVault is turned on guest users can only access safari. Hope this helps.

Just now seeing your reply. I think this is it, since I have encryption enabled. Thanks! 😀

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Lollipop 5.0.2

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2