using wifi only?

11B1P

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Anyone using the Ultra with just wifi/BT and not on a cellular plan? When I decided on the iPhone 15+, the sales person brought out the SE2 and told me I could get it for just the line fee of $5/month. That was a no brainer. I've since discovered the SE2 screen is a bit smaller than my Galaxy Watch 6 classic, making some of the text harder to decipher.

I just purchased an Ultra over on Swappa and have no plans to add it to my cellphone account. I think I've used the watch to talk on one time and I can do that with wifi/BT. So anybody else like me and use it/plan to use it just on wifi/BT?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I don’t have an Ultra 2. I use a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth only Apple Watch Series 5.

As long as the device is close to its paired mobile phone, it should work perfectly (including calls) because they will be routed through the phone.

If it is not in reach of the phone, it will work using local data, or the connected Wi-Fi and fetch information over the Internet (like it would over mobile).

Going Wi-Fi/Bluetooth might increase the battery life as well. :)

Reactions: 11B1P

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
Anyone using the Ultra with just wifi/BT and not on a cellular plan? When I decided on the iPhone 15+, the sales person brought out the SE2 and told me I could get it for just the line fee of $5/month. That was a no brainer. I've since discovered the SE2 screen is a bit smaller than my Galaxy Watch 6 classic, making some of the text harder to decipher.

I just purchased an Ultra over on Swappa and have no plans to add it to my cellphone account. I think I've used the watch to talk on one time and I can do that with wifi/BT. So anybody else like me and use it/plan to use it just on wifi/BT?
Why did you buy a LTE version ultra? If you're thinking you will add it to your plan later I would pay the SE off and sell it on swaps to recoup the money.

To add to the above post..I would turn LTE off in the watch settings so the watch doesn't search for LTE using battery.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I had a stainless steel Series 5 that I never activated on cellular until the last three months, when I was running a lot without my phone (I almost always carry my phone when I run but it was raining a lot that summer and I didn't want to cary my phone and risk having it fail from getting wet) and decided the ability to place an emergency call would be good to have. (Like the Ultra, the stainless steel models only come with celluar.)

I now have an Ultra and I kept the cellular plan active. But I could easily get by without it if I really wanted to. For me the cellular plan (which I rarely use - as I said, I'm rarely without my phone) is a good emergency backup, in case something happens to my phone in an emergency and my watch is the only device that I have. But I used a Series 2 and that Series 5 without cellular for 5.5 years and I got by just fine without it.

Reactions: 11B1P and Just_Me_D

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I had a stainless steel Series 5 that I never activated on cellular until the last three months, when I was running a lot without my phone (I almost always carry my phone when I run but it was raining a lot that summer and I didn't want to cary my phone and risk having it fail from getting wet) and decided the ability to place an emergency call would be good to have. (Like the Ultra, the stainless steel models only come with celluar.)

I now have an Ultra and I kept the cellular plan active. But I could easily get by without it if I really wanted to. For me the cellular plan (which I rarely use - as I said, I'm rarely without my phone) is a good emergency backup, in case something happens to my phone in an emergency and my watch is the only device that I have. But I used a Series 2 and that Series 5 without cellular for 5.5 years and I got by just fine without it.
Like you, I have a stainless steel Series 5 Watch that I've worn faithfully until I got my Ultra 2. I had the cellular option enabled on the Series 5 and then transferred it over to my Ultra 2. Also, like you, I can easily get away with not having the cellular option enabled because my iPhone is almost always with me. Still, having the cellular option enabled on my Watch is indeed a good thing for me for the same reasons you mentioned.

Reactions: 11B1P and doogald

11B1P

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why did you buy a LTE version ultra? If you're thinking you will add it to your plan later I would pay the SE off and sell it on swaps to recoup the money.
The Ultra doesn't come in a wif-only version, so there's that.

I'm still in the return widow on the SE, so it's going back tomorrow. It didn't cost me anything up front. They gave it to me for free, except for the cost of the $5 line fee a month.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think I've used the watch to talk on 1 time so far. I can definately get by without cellular, but I agree with the safety net while out running. I may end up adding cellular depending on if Verizon wants to charge me more for the line fee.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

While I can’t speak for the Ultra, my wife and I got a great deal on the Series 3 LTE model when it launched. We used them on WiFi/BT exclusively. They worked just fine.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77