Windows Users- iTunes Painfully slow backup

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
This forum has been incredibly silent on the issue of the painfully slow iTunes back up since the upgrade to iTunes 9.1 for Windows. Background - since the next to last release of iTunes (9.1), my iPhone 3GS running OS 3.1.2 has backed up so slowly that I disabled the backup. Over on the Apple forums, the thread is up to 8 pages of "me too's".
Did someone post a solution (other than turning off the backup) that everyone here is using? This forum usually jumps all over this sort of issue.:eek:

peanutgallery

Apr 4, 2010
www.thepeanutgallery.net
I haven't experienced this. I'm using windows, the newest version of iTunes, and 3.1.3.

I have heard people complain about the backup time if they download/upgrade their apps primarily from their phone. If this is your case I've heard deleting the apps from your phone and reinstalling/resyncing them from iTunes will help.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
This forum has been incredibly silent on the issue of the painfully slow iTunes back up since the upgrade to iTunes 9.1 for Windows. Background - since the next to last release of iTunes (9.1), my iPhone 3GS running OS 3.1.2 has backed up so slowly that I disabled the backup. Over on the Apple forums, the thread is up to 8 pages of "me too's".
Did someone post a solution (other than turning off the backup) that everyone here is using? This forum usually jumps all over this sort of issue.:eek:

It goes so slowly that the line between working and broken disappears. That said, it does finally complete.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Out of curiosity I decided to do a sync and backup of my phone today and time the backup portion.

I started at 11:42am, by 11:43am it was over half done, then around the 65%-70% mark and that's where it sat for about 90 seconds. Then jumped, sat for 20 seconds or so, jumped again, and come 11:45 the backup part was done, the sync'ing was done at 11:46am.

I don't do sync's or backups all that often ( maybe once every other week ).

I'm on Windows 7 64 bit running 64 bit iTunes v 9.1.0.79 and syncing my 3GS.

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Yes...eventually the backup completes. My last complete sync/backup took an hour or so. I cancelled a subsequent backup and turned off the backup function so it's not just a matter of one good backup and then normal quick backups following.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
One thing I've seen mentioned before is if you have a lot of photos in the camera roll, backup times will increase a lot. Other than that, I cannot make much of a statement as I'm currently syncing with a 9 year old PC. Everything is slow on it.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Yes...eventually the backup completes. My last complete sync/backup took an hour or so. I cancelled a subsequent backup and turned off the backup function so it's not just a matter of one good backup and then normal quick backups following.
My sync yesterday afternoon took well over an hour, most of it backup. Progress was so slow as to be perceptible only over several minutes. What was even worse was that it brought my system to its knees; nothing else would run near normal speed.

I find iTunes for Windows so slow that I wonder if it is not a gambit to sell Macs.

Win 7, 32bit

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
One thing I've seen mentioned before is if you have a lot of photos in the camera roll, backup times will increase a lot. Other than that, I cannot make much of a statement as I'm currently syncing with a 9 year old PC. Everything is slow on it.
I have 166 photos in the camera roll, including one or two videos. Is that a lot? Cannot find a way to move to another folder.

peanutgallery

Apr 4, 2010
www.thepeanutgallery.net
I have 166 photos in the camera roll, including one or two videos. Is that a lot? Cannot find a way to move to another folder.

I'd say that's a lot of pictures.

What if you were to pull the pics off the phone like a digital camera, erase them from the camera roll, then sync the folder with said pictures with the phone in iTunes?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site

I have 298 photos and 23 movies in my camera roll and my backup took but a few minutes.

How many apps do you have on your device?

I have almost 6 pages of apps, 1 of which is a big app with downloaded maps ( GPS app ). I have minimal songs on my device (171), and no movies ( other than those I have recorded myself that is ).

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I have 298 photos and 23 movies in my camera roll and my backup took but a few minutes.

How many apps do you have on your device?

I have almost 6 pages of apps, 1 of which is a big app with downloaded maps ( GPS app ). I have minimal songs on my device (171), and no movies ( other than those I have recorded myself that is ).

So much for that theory.

Raeki

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I got about 175 pictures about 8 pages of apps 40 songs... took 4 hours to fully back up (i erased all backup content)

But the backup content builds up so even if you have a lot of stuff.. if you have a previous backup recently and you didn't change much it should be fast

i had the exact same problem but:
1. Clear all syncing data in itunes
2. backup iphone overnight
3. Then back it up every week and it shouldn't take more than an hour :)

alexhusty

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Slow iTunes Backup Process

I can understand how it feel like when the iTunes takes unwanted amount of time for creating iPhone backup. You should need to know that being a free appliction - iTunes would have some kind of demarcations and limitations and it is in the form of slow backup and synchhronization problems.

I have also experienced the same problems just like you during my iPhone To Mac Transfer using iTunes on my Macbook Pro. I then used iMacsoft Transfer Tool and I must say I was extremely impressed with its overall working.

If you dont want to use any software, I should tell you to either upgrade the iOS operating system on your iPhone 3Gs or reinstall the latest version of iTunes.

iPhone Transfer Mac | iPhone To Mac Transfer

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SarahWilkerson