Why I Was Encouraged To Return My iPhone 4S

frkm0005

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I just returned my 4S for the battery issue. I only had it for 4 days and must have charged it 10 times in that period. I don't make many phone calls. In fact I only placed about 7 or 8 calls totaling about 60mins over the 4 days. I mainly did a lot of messaging.

Anyway, the first day I had it I was losing approx 1% battery every 4mins!! I found an article that told me what to turn off until Apple addresses this issue. I went through all of it. I had my brightness at 40% with the screen set to turn off after 1min, location based time zone checking and iAds turned off, Siri turned off, iCloud turned off, push email turned off and set to manually fetch and a slue of other settings turned OFF. So much for having an "awesome" phone with everything turned off. I booked a genius appointment in case it turns out my iPhone was defective. The genius told me I shouldn't have to turn off all of these features. "It's not fair to you just to get battery longevity" were his words. He ran a diagnostic and it came up fine. He told me my next step would be to do a restore using DFU mode. So, when I got home I did that. Three days later I had gone from 100% to 56% in a span of 3h23mins. I was done at that point. I wasn't going to carry a charger with me everywhere I went.

When I returned it today the Apple employee I spoke to encouraged me to return it and get my money back. He said to wait and see what Apple does about this issue and make my purchasing decision at that point instead of dealing with it until the fixes roll out. Oh well. Back to my BlackBerry for now.

Has anybody else experienced battery life as poor as I had??

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Mine drains that fast at my office but I think it has to do with bad signal in my building. I'm in the middle of downtown and there's a huge telecommunications center in the suite next to mine. Whatever they do over there makes my phone virtually unusable Monday thru Thursday. Not sure why it works on Friday, but it does....

I can get a day and a half on a charge on the weekend.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I haven't experienced bad battery at all. I usually go 24 hours between charges. You may have gotten a bad iPhone. You can wait a little bit and see what happens with the updates.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Squeeze Play

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I haven't experienced bad battery at all. I usually go 24 hours between charges. You may have gotten a bad iPhone. You can wait a little bit and see what happens with the updates.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

We must be two of the lucky ones. The battery life on my 4S is virtually identical to that of my 4. I lose about two or three percent when I leave it overnight. When using it, it seems to drain at the same rate my iPhone 4 did. I'm not taking any unusual power-saving measures, either. Bluetooth and location services are on all the time as well.

CalifJewls

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I was also getting poor battery life. Took it into Apple, they ran diagnostics and determined it was getting less than stellar battery life, but did a restore for me and told me to continue to monitor battery life. Fast forward 10 days, I took my phone off the charger at 96% to charge my iPad at 1am woke up at 8am to find that my 4s had turned into a cute paperweight, black screen, would not turn on, took it into Apple, they did get it to turn on and battery read 20%, they ran diagnostics again and sent me home with a new 4s.

They did not encourage me to return it and get my money back though? That's what the 1 year warranty is for!

The new 4s has had great battery life, personally I wouldn't go back to a Blackberry, just get a new 4s!

Last edited:

VtHondaguy802

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Mine lasts a full day, nothing's turned off either. IMO its A LOT better then any of the androids I've had but still nothing compares to battery life I've always gotten with bb's.

chris3896

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I went back to an iPhone thinking that battery life would be better. Unfortunately I get about ten hours of battery life with a lot of stuff turned off. It lasts less than my Incredible which went almost a day and a half. The only saving grace is that the iPhone only takes about an hour to fully recharge. I'll hold on because I know the iPhone 4 had really good battery life. So unless it is a true hardware issue (dual cores?) and not a software issue I'm going to hold onto it. I would assume apple would fix it.

dougbenfield

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday was the first time I even came close to draining my 4s; however I have everything running all the time. Bluetooth, Wifi, Siri, Location services. I don't turn anything off and the only reason my battery drained down to 10% yesterday is I used it to do a 2 hour "Pages" presentation last night at church. I used air play with an apple Tv for over 2 hours. My 4s battery is awesome. I normally take it off charge at 5am and do not charge it until around 10pm and I have still have close to 55% battery life at the end of the day!

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I guess its because I am used to Android but I dont see the battery issues that others are having. Heck, yesterday I was at 26% and had 17 hrs since last charge. I use my phone all night while at work and use it for text, facebook, twitter, email, games and occasionally a call.

I am impreseed with this battery life.

Oh, I have turned off NONE of the push/sync options. I let it perform like it is supposed to

frkm0005

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I was also getting poor battery life. Took it into Apple, they ran diagnostics and determined it was getting less than stellar battery life, but did a restore for me and told me to continue to monitor battery life. Fast forward 10 days, I took my phone off the charger at 96% to charge my iPad at 1am woke up at 8am to find that my 4s had turned into a cute paperweight, black screen, would not turn on, took it into Apple, they did get it to turn on and battery read 20%, they ran diagnostics again and sent me home with a new 4s.

They did not encourage me to return it and get my money back though? That's what the 1 year warranty is for!

The new 4s has had great battery life, personally I wouldn't go back to a Blackberry, just get a new 4s!

It's funny because when I was at the Apple Store the first time with the genius and the second time to return it I got the impression that the option to replace the phone wasn't on the table. Now the crumby part is I returned the iPhone and either have to order it online now and wait a couple of weeks to get it or attempt to reserve it in store. It took me 3 evenings of refreshing my screen before I got lucky enough to finally get one reserved and I'm not in the mood to go through that again. Sigh....

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I must be one of the lucky ones too, because my battery life on my 4S is good. I don?t have anything turned off either. I can go a full day. I don?t though. I have a iPod dock at work that I keep my phone on charged, only because I listen to ESPN radio thru the iPod dock. But when I?m not at work in the evenings and on the weekends my battery life is good. I think you may have just had a bad iPhone.

Matchoo

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
We must be two of the lucky ones. The battery life on my 4S is virtually identical to that of my 4. I lose about two or three percent when I leave it overnight. When using it, it seems to drain at the same rate my iPhone 4 did. I'm not taking any unusual power-saving measures, either. Bluetooth and location services are on all the time as well.

My battery life on the 4S is virtually identical to my old 4 and my wife's 4.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I must be one of the lucky ones too, because my battery life on my 4S is good. I don?t have anything turned off either. I can go a full day. I don?t though. I have a iPod dock at work that I keep my phone on charged, only because I listen to ESPN radio thru the iPod dock. But when I?m not at work in the evenings and on the weekends my battery life is good. I think you may have just had a bad iPhone.

I don't have any issues with my battery life either. I'm averaging 7 hours of usage with 2 days of standby time. Good to know that a fix is on the way soon for those thar are having issues.

frkm0005

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
So I picked up another iPhone 4S after reading CalifJewls's post. Ironically I got it yesterday and an hour later iOS 5.0.1 was released. So the first thing I did before I started using the phone was update it to the newest OS just to be safe. I just ran the battery from 100% down to 1% to see how it is and I got 19h2m usage on 99%. Fantastic!! Oddly tho some people are now claiming that the update made their battery problem even worse. I wonder if Apple is going to have a recall on their hands due to a batch of defective batteries? Hmmm.....

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77