Why can't I get a iPhone a without 3G plan?

dweidman

Aug 14, 2008
Visit site
I don't think the 'car radio' analogy is fitting.

Not surprising. :cool:

The iPhone 3G has a REAL radio in it to handle the data separately from cell calls. It is physical hardware in the new iPhone 3G (which is why the old iPhones **can't** access it.) My analogy wasn't an accident.

You are saying you don't want to use it / can't use it -- so you dont' want to pay for it. However - it is in there - waiting to be used. So if you decide to travel to somewhere where there IS 3G - then you will be able to use it. You are paying more for the ability to access the 3G network - whether you do or not is immaterial.

If you don't want to pay the money for 3G - then you need to get a phone that doesn't even SUPPORT it. Then AT&T can be sure you aren't using it - and can offer you a lower data plan.

Anyway - hope this helps.

-Daniel

dweidman

Aug 14, 2008
Visit site
Yeah - today is especially bad - so much so that I turned 3G off to get the 5 bars of Edge back.

Just so I am speaking directly -

Edge = -63 (signal strength) (varies from -63 to -67 normally)
3G = -113 (signal strength) (varies from -99 to -113 normally)

And it still tries to pick up on 3G - drops the call. Then 5 seconds later - switches to Edge...

*sighs*

-Daniel (in Los Angeles)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yeah - today is especially bad - so much so that I turned 3G off to get the 5 bars of Edge back.

Just so I am speaking directly -

Edge = -63 (signal strength) (varies from -63 to -67 normally)
3G = -113 (signal strength) (varies from -99 to -113 normally)

And it still tries to pick up on 3G - drops the call. Then 5 seconds later - switches to Edge...

*sighs*

-Daniel (in Los Angeles)

Los Angeles? That actually shocks me... I figured you were on the fringe of poor 3g area. :eek:

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Not surprising. :cool:

The iPhone 3G has a REAL radio in it to handle the data separately from cell calls. It is physical hardware in the new iPhone 3G (which is why the old iPhones **can't** access it.) My analogy wasn't an accident.

You are saying you don't want to use it / can't use it -- so you dont' want to pay for it. However - it is in there - waiting to be used. So if you decide to travel to somewhere where there IS 3G - then you will be able to use it. You are paying more for the ability to access the 3G network - whether you do or not is immaterial.

If you don't want to pay the money for 3G - then you need to get a phone that doesn't even SUPPORT it. Then AT&T can be sure you aren't using it - and can offer you a lower data plan.

Anyway - hope this helps.

-Daniel

Trust me, I WANT to use it. Back home (currently in college) I'd get 3G signal when traveling to Boston or even just a few miles south south from my house. Even though it was rare, it was surely welcome over EDGE.

It just doesn't seem fair to me. I'm sure AT&T has a way to turn 3G off for certain phones or know when it is connected to the 3G network.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Anyone?

I don't think they do.

I could be wrong though...

-Daniel

Now I am not 100% sure but I do not think so. Reason being is I had a tilt along with a first gen iPhone and I could put the iPhones sim card in the Tilt and 3g would work just fine. Nothing ever happened with my bill etc...

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
i can't turn off evdo with my wife's centro or pick between evdo rev0 or rev a. You'll have to get over it.