Why are some people viewing the iPhone XR as an illegitimate iPhone?

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Aww, sorry to hear about you being allergic to Popcorn. It must be rough going to the movies with popcorn smell everywhere.

Thanks. My favorite was cheddar popcorn, but it's definitely better avoiding corn and not having to deal with horrible stomach cramps! Just thank goodness I'm not allergic to chocolate because I'm addicted to that, lol!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
LOL. I haven't seen or heard any of that personally, but it seems pretty snobbish, if you ask me. I assume it's coming from people who have the X, XS and XS Max? :rotfl:
Your assumption is correct, ma’am.

I actually had a interview with Apple yesterday for a job. After it ended, I went into the store downstairs to see the other XR color options in the flesh. There were lots of people crowded around the phones and they definitely seemed to enjoy them. One guy was hogging up a red, while a couple of others were dominating the one yellow that was on display. The entire time I was there, they didn't budge away from the XRs to look at the XS duo.
I believe it.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I think it would be good for my parents and such. They want a phone that works -- plain and simple.

For me it wouldn't work. Not due to being bad but when I spend my $$$ I usually shoot for the top of the top (even if not always worth the $ to value ration for some). I mainly do with tech. Other things in life is where I am more lax on it.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
For me personally, it IS as good or equal. To be honest, the only reason I kind of wish I had a X or XS instead of my red XR is simply because of the size. The iPhone 6 through 8 size is perfect for my hands. I just have to hold onto my XR a little tighter or use the case with the finger loop on the back of it for security that I don't somehow drop the phone. Other than the size, I absolutely love the phone and really don't care about the lack of an OLED screen (I've had OLED before, and while it's nice, it's not a deal-breaker for me).

You're in my mind! I haven't had my Xr as long as you have had yours, but I also came from a 7. The gestures help a lot but reaching the top for notifications and especially the control center is the thing that bugs me the most.

spiff_p239

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
You're in my mind! I haven't had my Xr as long as you have had yours, but I also came from a 7. The gestures help a lot but reaching the top for notifications and especially the control center is the thing that bugs me the most.

Have you turned on the Reachability function?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Here are two corrections.

First, buying the max would absolutely be spending money for no reason (for me). None of the supposed improvements or higher specs mean anything to me. They are a way for Apple to make more money off consumers. It's just like buying a car, all the "extras" are where they make their money. If that's OK with you, go for it. I explained that my $500 iPhone X does everything I need. I'm not drinking the coolaid.

Second, I'm 57.

Enjoy your max.

How'd you score an iPhone X for $500??

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That's sweet. I admire your patience, lol. Although, I'm doing good with my X. I haven't even a slight itch to purchase an XS.

Same here with regard to the XS and XS Max, however, I am debating whether or not to grab an iPhone XR for the heck of it. I doubt I will, but I’m tempted.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately they’re comparing it with a cheap 300$ phone display which claims to be 1080p vs the 750$ xr display. We have always known a more expensive display will outperform a cheap display regardless of each other’s specs.

Except, that is the opposite of what the Fandroids were saying when the Xr was announced. He shows some of the comments he got at the beginning, one of which states that $300 phone had a better display than the Xr would. There have been lots of comments about how even cheap Android phones would have a better display, since they are at least 1080P; how the Xr screen is 5 year old technology; etc.

Also, to be clear, the Pocophone is not technically a "budget" phone, instead it is more like the OnePlus phones; it has high end specs (most very similar to the OnePlus 6) at a cheap price.

It need to be put up against a pound for pound fight. Go a 699$ s9 Vs. 750$ xr ! See who wins that one. I’ve seen the xr as I work at a cell phone store and while scrolling up and down it blurs as well as left to right maybe it’s because I’m used to OLED on my x but it looks weird and maybe it will look that way only to me but although over looking like a a really sweet phone I actually like the size and feel better than my x and pictures come out better on the xr the display bothers me and doesn’t look as clean , bright and crisp as say my x or price comparable androids. But if most like it hey it’s there money. But the price is sweet heres to next year with improved display xr!!!

While I'd also like to see a comparison with a more comparable phone; the issue is what phone can you do it with. The S9 doesn't really work, since that would be a comparison of OLED to LCD, and typically OLED does have an advantage with the deeper blacks. OTOH, OLED can have drawbacks like screen burn in and causing "health problems" in some people who are sensitive to PWM.

But again, this video was mostly to shut up the spec warriors about how horrible the Xr screen would be, that it wasn't even as good as a budget Android phone with a 1080P display -- the ones that refused to admit that specs (screen resolution) aren't the most important thing when comparing displays.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I love how it performs and it's the perfect size for me. Fits in my pocket comfortably.

The size of the X is a reason why I am still debating getting it, even though I have the Xr. You got very lucky with finding a great deal for yours.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
The size of the X is a reason why I am still debating getting it, even though I have the Xr. You got very lucky with finding a great deal for yours.

Libra, I am going to be selling my X since I got the XR and decided to keep it. Let me know if you’re interested! You can PM me.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
The iPhone Xr is a killer iPhone with a much more manageable cost. For me, it would have been the Black or the Red. However, unfortunately, I’m not patient. Apple preyed on folks like me (and no, I’m not the only one) that are not so patient. I wanted a Max for the size as soon as I could get my little greedy hands on it. Had the Xr released at the same time Apple knows it would have sold more Xr and less Xs and Xs Max at launch. I love my Max and I love the size...but the Xr would have been close enough for a lot less that common sense might have actually won out. While the Max is great TO ME, I could have been pretty durned happy with an Xr in the aforementioned colors. Great phones indeed.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77