What do you think of the rumor that the iPhone 8 will lack Touch ID?

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I personally think this rumor is bunk given how integrated Touch ID is integrsted into iOS, MacOS and Apple hardware.

I would hate to see Touch ID go the way of the dinosaur. Touching my phone is much easier than holding it up to my face Everytime to unlock. I've tried it on my s8 and don't like it. You look dumb doing it and it's slower than just unlocking with your finger.

What do you think?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: iPhone 8 to lack Touch ID?

I personally think this rumor is bunk given how integrated Touch ID is integrsted into iOS, MacOS and Apple hardware.

I would hate to see Touch ID go the way of the dinosaur. Touching my phone is much easier than holding it up to my face Everytime to unlock. I've tried it on my s8 and don't like it. You look dumb doing it and it's slower than just unlocking with your finger.

What do you think?

I started my tour with Apple using the 5s and Touch ID. I would hate to see it leave and could be a definite deal breaker for me when/if I consider upgrading my current iPhone. With the improvements made to Touch ID over the years, it's now extremely quick with ZERO problems for me.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I call it a rumor is all ... I can't see them going away from it after they just put it in a few phones ago and tons of apps support it.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I absolutely can't see them doing this. Especially with all the focus they've put behind Apple Pay. I'm unsure of how they could continue that as they've advertised if they get rid of Touch ID. I would hate to see that happen.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site

Just my guess, but I still think there will be Touch ID in the power button, and you will also have the option of facial recognition.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Just my guess, but I still think there will be Touch ID in the power button, and you will also have the option of facial recognition.

I can't imagine that due to the power button not being large enough to support an entire fingerprint.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site

All the leaks show the power button being bigger, almost twice the length of the current button. Can't think of why else they would make it bigger. Don't think anyone complains that it is too small now.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

All the leaks show the power button being bigger, almost twice the length of the current button. Can't think of why else they would make it bigger. Don't think anyone complains that it is too small now.

I guess I'm not looking at the length as much as the width. The area of the power button would be hard to handle a fingerprint scanner in my honest opinion, but I guess anything is possible. I suppose we will see in a couple of months.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Leaks are fake. Apple floods the market with fakes themselves to keep the hype up.
Nothing is for sure until the official release. It’s good to keep that in mind.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site

I agree we will see in a few months. Yes I know not all leaks are to be believed, but these seem to have a pretty good track record, at least at this point in the design cycle when you look at previous years.

Whether it does or doesn't have Touch ID, I'm sure they will have a working security method, and it won't be harder to use than Touch ID. If the rumors are true, the facial recognition works even with the phone sitting on a desk. That is one of the things that was annoying about iris scanners, you needed to hold the phone in just the right angle. If facial recognition works like the rumors say, it would be easy to use it for Apple Pay as well.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

I'm not at all interested in facial recognition & I don't see Apple going that route. We'll see soon enough!

rmaximo2

Jul 4, 2017
Visit site
I don't think the rumor is crazy. But for this to work the facial recognition needs to be superb, and unlike anything we have seen in the market thus far. Mind you though that thisis exactly what Touch ID was like when it debuted in the iPhone 5s. There were other fingerprint sensors in the past, but none as good as Touch ID.

"Face ID" will be the same thing, if I had to guess. I can imagine a 3D, thermal imaging sensor that takes many many data points of your face which can recognize you instantly, from a distance, regardless of lighting, the moment you pick up your phone or just glance at it from a distance while the phone is on the table. I can imagine this tech failing less often than Touch ID. It'll be more secure too.

So, I don't know how likely/unlikely it is, but I don't think the idea is as crazy as some people make it out to be.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Probably not, but it's not impossible. There is a rumour that Apple want to make a bezel-less phone (i.e. the *whole* of the front of the phone will be the screen). It's hard to combine a fingerprint sensor with a touchscreen - even Samsung couldn't manage it with the Galaxy S8 and they have far more advanced display technology than Apple. This would mean that Apple would either have to move the sensor to the back (as Samsung did) or get rid of it entirely.

If they did get rid of it entirely, I expect people here would find reasons to justify it. They even managed to justify such wrong decisions as removing the headphone socket from the iphone 7 and dropping normal USB ports and HDMI from Mac laptops.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
If it lacks touch id I won't buy it. I don't want to constantly hold my phone up to get facial recognition to work.

It's irritating as hell and you look like a total weirdo with the s8

amfca

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site

What do you think?

I have no comfort level in the current security level performance of facial recognition in the marketplace. Just look at the S8's implementation and how easy it can be defeated. If apple has managed to do it in a way that is lock tight then I would welcome it as an added option for identification/unlocking, but I would not want to eliminate Touch Id technology on my future iPhone.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I find it incredibly hard to believe that Apple would abandon a function that so many people use for convenience and security; and for which Apple has received so much praise for.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I find it incredibly hard to believe that Apple would abandon a function that so many people use for convenience and security; and for which Apple has received so much praise for.

The possible reason was explained above - that Apple might have to choose between the bezel-less screen, or touch ID. It might not be possible to have both. Which would you prefer?

Actually, you can solve the screen issue by moving the sensor to the back.

Either way, I also don't expect Apple to drop touch ID altogether, but understand that there may be a trade off to be made here. You can't always have your cake and eat it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77