Do you think Apple will revert back to the original size of the iPhone?

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
To me, most cameras on phones are perfectly ok. I know some people want the best camera possible (not sure why). It’s not like I’m posting pictures from my phone in an art gallery. All these “better” cameras do is raise the price.
The rest I agree with you on.
I felt exactly the same as you, never was too keen on getting the latest & greatest phone camera....until I tried the night mode of the 11 Pro.
Just recently, at night, I went to an old gothic cathedral in my home town, and took some indoor pictures, which turned out to be breathtaking. I still wonder how Apple did that. It really is a game changer, imho.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I felt exactly the same as you, never was too keen on getting the latest & greatest phone camera....until I tried the night mode of the 11 Pro.
Just recently, at night, I went to an old gothic cathedral in my home town, and took some indoor pictures, which turned out to be breathtaking. I still wonder how Apple did that. It really is a game changer, imho.

I’m sure it is and I bet you got some breathtaking pics!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I would love for Apple to have a smaller option. I use a X & XS daily and I’m pretty content. I had the a few Plus models, and I just can’t imagine going back to something that large. If Apple releases a smaller device, I would definitely try it out.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I don’t practice the Palm hold unless I’m home on the couch because when I’m out and about an elbow bump will cause a lot of damage

I paid more attention to how I hold it this morning and it’s more like half palm and half lower part of the fingers. So more stable than a palm grip but admittedly not as secure as gripping the sides. I just kind of naturally settled there. If I have it out when out and about I’m either looking at a list or looking something up briefly and two handing it so more stable. I’m a light user so my risk factor is relatively low.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Nope, can't wait for 7" screen! My Note 10+ is nearly there at 6.8".
That said, perhaps a larger watch screen? :D

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Nope, can't wait for 7" screen! My Note 10+ is nearly there at 6.8".
That said, perhaps a larger watch screen? :D

I’ve held the note 10+ and find it comfortable for a brick due to the slender and tall form factor like my X but can’t deal with my GFs 8+ which stretches the web of my thumb

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to keep reachability ON without it popping up after A few seconds?

Do you just have to rearrange your apps to be able to get to the apps that Reachability hides

Once upon a time when Blackberrys were all the rage, I flirted it for about a year until they ruined the brand by switching to their OS10 (was it) and a new slab-like device (supposedly to beat iPhone that was their target to kill in their mind). I have never used anything but iPhone since they were announced more than 10 years ago (BB was a loaner when my iPhone needed repair, but I ended up continuing using it for about a year. I liked its size and very functional UI). Anyway, as iPhone's screen ever getting bigger and bigger, and a weird idea like "reachability" popped up, I always thought about a tiny "trackpad" BB was using. If it could also be used for fingerprint scanning (big enough?), it would provide you with the ability to slide all over the screen no matter how big it might be, by just moving your thumb only slightly. Steve Jobs once said that your finger became a pointing device but you still have to move it around all over the screen, hence "reachability". If this could be done, I might prefer a larger screen.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
To me, most cameras on phones are perfectly ok. I know some people want the best camera possible (not sure why). It’s not like I’m posting pictures from my phone in an art gallery. All these “better” cameras do is raise the price.
The rest I agree with you on.

You don’t have to be an artist to appreciate a high quality photo. The simple fact that I can get a really nice, non-grainy, photo in less than ideal lighting is a big deal to me. My 11 Pro Max is the first phone I’ve owned that can do that. I can actually get some nice photos of my kids out on Halloween this year. Both of them also play sports and the shots I’ve gotten are way better than I’ve gotten in the past.
Better camera take better photos. Plain and simple.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
You don’t have to be an artist to appreciate a high quality photo. The simple fact that I can get a really nice, non-grainy, photo in less than ideal lighting is a big deal to me. My 11 Pro Max is the first phone I’ve owned that can do that. I can actually get some nice photos of my kids out on Halloween this year. Both of them also play sports and the shots I’ve gotten are way better than I’ve gotten in the past.
Better camera take better photos. Plain and simple.

Understood, I just don’t see THAT much of a difference. My Xr photos aren’t grainy but maybe my old eyes can’t see as well as they could.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Understood, I just don’t see THAT much of a difference. My Xr photos aren’t grainy but maybe my old eyes can’t see as well as they could.
grain is one thing. I think it improved with the current models - but do no longer have an older iphone to compare.
However, the night mode and its dynamic range (see almost all details from very dark to bright areas) and stabilization even during several seconds of exposure time are miraculous. The XR didn't have that.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
grain is one thing. I think it improved with the current models - but do no longer have an older iphone to compare.
However, the night mode and its dynamic range (see almost all details from very dark to bright areas) and stabilization even during several seconds of exposure time are miraculous. The XR didn't have that.

No doubt and enjoy paying extra for it.

My point is this, and the idea behind a smaller SE-like device, not everyone needs the best. Not everyone wants a giant phone. Some are waiting to see if Apple comes out with a smaller less expensive phone. You have what you want and no one is saying they should take it away. Some of us just want choice.

I also own a mid range Android device. Small, light weight, camera is good enough for me and I only paid $315 for it. If Apple puts out a device for $399 I believe many people will buy it. JMHO.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
To me, any screen bigger than 6.7/8” is getting a bit ridiculous. If you have a phone with a 7”+ display, it’s not a smartphone, it’s a small tablet with cellular abilities. Yes, bezels are/have disappeared so screens are able to become larger, but phones like the Note 10+ and XS Max are already pretty big. Humans aren’t evolving to have bigger hands for larger phones lol (at least not yet XD).

The XR/11/S10 are closest to being perfect size-wise in my opinion. Relatively big screen but a reasonable and easy-to-cope with footprint. The iPhone 4/5 size-wise were quite small, too small to be practical especially if they made it all screen.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
To me, any screen bigger than 6.7/8” is getting a bit ridiculous. If you have a phone with a 7”+ display, it’s not a smartphone, it’s a small tablet with cellular abilities. Yes, bezels are/have disappeared so screens are able to become larger, but phones like the Note 10+ and XS Max are already pretty big. Humans aren’t evolving to have bigger hands for larger phones lol (at least not yet XD).

The XR/11/S10 are closest to being perfect size-wise in my opinion. Relatively big screen but a reasonable and easy-to-cope with footprint. The iPhone 4/5 size-wise were quite small, too small to be practical especially if they made it all screen.

Agreed! I would never want an iPhone the size of an iPad mini! :D

love4speechless

Sep 25, 2018
Visit site

I found my iPhone 5c (my very first iphone) a few weeks ago and turned it on. It was so tiny I don’t know how I ever used it lol

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Agreed! I would never want an iPhone the size of an iPad mini! :D

0c24b22959b7a4796047a8f55f83b4db.jpg

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes I would like a smaller SE type phone with all the features of iPhone Pro packed in so I could pack it in my pocket easier and the chances of that are --- well you know , :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2