• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

VOIP over 3G?

Mugunth

Sep 30, 2008
mugunthkumar.com
Why is Skype/Fring not yet releasing their App to work over 3G?
Now that I can tether my iPhone to Mac, who can prevent me from making a VOIP call using my Mac?

Is Apple still rejecting VOIP over 3G apps?

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Well, if you think about it. AT&T is a phone company.:rolleyes: They do still make money off of people placing calls on their network. I do not think that they built out their network so that we could place free calls through Skype (or others) on it. I realize that we are paying for data, but could you imagine how flooded their network would be if they allowed this.:eek: I mean we are already waiting on MMS because they can not handle it.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
You can make free calls from Skype to Skype using iphone :)

On Wifi yes but not 3G with the official Skype app. Allowing full Skype would probably kill AT&T's already flaky (in some locations) 3G network. Plus as a phone service company they want you too use their calling network.

I can see the argument though, at least for AT&T, that you are still required to have the voice plan anyway. Your paying for your minutes and they are getting the money. Why would they care if you never use them and use Skype or VOIP service instead of their calling minutes. Bringing the network down is probably their only reason.

Mugunth

Sep 30, 2008
mugunthkumar.com
One thing I can understand from this is Apple + AT&T is a bigger monopoly than M$.
M$ chucked out Netscape
Apple + AT&T planning to do the same for Skype and other SIP operators...

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
What exactly are Apple and AT&T monopolizing that will harm Skype? Microsoft had a direct competitor to Netscape via IE.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
What exactly are Apple and AT&T monopolizing that will harm Skype? Microsoft had a direct competitor to Netscape via IE.

What we know is that AT&T restricts services on the iPhone that it permits/supports/promotes on other phones.

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
the new Call Global app is free to download and the rates are cheaper than skype in most cases and uses the 3g network instead of wifi !
you can find the app in the itunes store or at callglobalapp dot com

Cheaper international calls than AT&T but this app uses AT&T minutes. It uses cellular to reach an alternate International carrier. It does not require access to WiFi but neither does it exploit it when it is available. Solves some of the problems addressed by VoIP but not all.

Eventually we will be able to make a VoIP call where we move seamlessly from one level 2 network (e.g., cellular, WiFi) to another. The first carrier to offer this will have a big early-to-market advantage. While AT&T has an advantage in its underlying infrastructure, I do not expect them to be early.

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I remember I got so excited when they said they were working on phones that would switch from the cellular network to Wifi if it was available seamlessly thereby saving time on your cell plan. However it hasn't materialized yet :(

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I do not think that the post that originated this thread ever got a straight answer.

Why is Skype/Fring not yet releasing their App to work over 3G?

The simple answer is because Apple will not cooperate. [I have not visited the Fring site lately, but I would be surprised if the code is not available for JB iPhones.]

Now that I can tether my iPhone to Mac, who can prevent me from making a VOIP call using my Mac?

There is no intention to resist VoIP, per se, no matter where the app runs.

If you can tether your Mac to the cellular network, via your iPhone, I do not think that AT&T will notice what apps you run on the Mac. They would have to block traffic based upon address and protocol and I doubt that they can stand the heat that would result.

The intent is to resist VoIP, originating on the iPhone, over the cellular network by resisting applications with that capability on the iPhone. Apple cooperates, not to say, colludes, with their partner, AT&T, to resist applications that do that. AT&T does this because it wants to, because it can, and because it is afraid that VoIP over Cellular breaks their already fragile business model.

Is Apple still rejecting VOIP over 3G apps?
Yes.

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
VoIP App "Line2" now approved by Apple...after a 3 month wait.

It is true that Apple has approved this interesting app. It is not true that it is VoIP, over 3G or otherwise. This app uses your AT&T minutes. Apple will approve these. They will approve VoIP that uses an alternate Internet connection, usually WiFi to an access point.

The applications that Apple is not approving are those that use VoIP over 3G. To the best of my knowledge they have rejected every application that attempts to do that.

Note that most IP applications, like VoIP, are connection agnostic. They do not know or care whether they are connected (at layer 2) via 3G or WiFi. AT&T cannot tell. That is why VoIP will work over 3G on jail broken iPhones. Only Apple can tell that an application is both VoIP and connection agnostic. These are the ones that Apple rejects. Apple's only interest in doing this is to accommodate AT&T.

This is what the whole "network neutrality" argument is all about, whether a carrier should be able to discriminate among IP packets based upon use, content, origin, or destination. Both AT&T and Apple can argue that they are not discriminating, but the effect of their collusion is to discriminate.

Apple has also rejected other applications, like Google Voice and this one, that alter the basic phone application of the iPhone. At least to that extent, this approval is a break-through. The question for Apple is why Line2 and not Google Voice?

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Apple fesses up.

..........Note that most IP applications, like VoIP, are connection agnostic. They do not know or care whether they are connected (at layer 2) via 3G or WiFi. AT&T cannot tell. That is why VoIP will work over 3G on jail broken iPhones. Only Apple can tell that an application is both VoIP and connection agnostic. These are the ones that Apple rejects. Apple's only interest in doing this is to accommodate AT&T............?

"We will be amending our developer agreements to get VOIP apps on the App Store and in customers' hands as soon as possible."

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blin