Use iCloud Drive with single files

sgruttendio

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Is it possible to use iCloud Drive only for selected files, just as you would do with a pendrive (but being able to see them from different devices)?
Each time I try to do that on the Mac, the system asks me to enable iCloud Drive. Then I see some kind of syncing starting and that worries me. At that point I stop it lest it starts copying all my files in iCloud Drive, which is highly undesired.

Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance
Sgruttendio

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible to use iCloud Drive only for selected files, just as you would do with a pendrive (but being able to see them from different devices)?
Yes, you can.
Each time I try to do that on the Mac, the system asks me to enable iCloud Drive.
. Yes, you must enable iCloud Drive.
Then I see some kind of syncing starting and that worries me. At that point I stop it lest it starts copying all my files in iCloud Drive, which is highly undesired.
. In regard to it syncing, yes, it will sync with app and devices that already have files associated with iCloud/iCloud Drive. It will not start uploading files on your hard drive that has nothing to do with iCloud.

Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance
Sgruttendio
Enable iCloud and then let it do its thing. Afterwards, drag and drop whatever file or folder you want to it in the same manner you would Dropbox.

sgruttendio

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
BTW. I did as suggested. At the moment Finder is not answering. I suspect is doing something about synchronization.
I had to uncheck many applications in the Option... part of iCloud Drive. While I unchecked other applications popped up with the checkbox checked, it was a kind of a rush, and one wonders why should synch by default.
I think this is a typical instance of Apple messing up things for people familiar with computers to favour people not familiar with computers (kind of "Save as..." removed). And this really drives me crazy!

sgruttendio

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
After three hours, still rotating beach-ball in the Finder... (that was just after enabling iCloud Drive). No apparent network traffic. I am afraid I have to reboot...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2