The iPad Pro M4 might finally fulfill the laptop replacement promise it has always wanted to live up to — now the software has to catch up

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
iPadOS is the weak link and the reason the iPad will not replace the MacBook as a whole. The power and speed are there, but the capabilities are limited by iPadOS.

Reactions: ksassy

naddy69

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
Again with this pipe dream?

Why does the iPad need to be a "Laptop Replacement"? They are different tools for different use cases. You might as well wish for a microwave oven that is also a replacement for a wood fired brick pizza oven. :rolleyes:

Besides, why would Apple even want to do this? They would much rather sell you a laptop AND a tablet. And BTW, a phone.

Personally, I have both a Macbook Pro laptop and a few iPads. One is not a replacement for the other. It does not need to be. It is not supposed to be.

It never will be.

"iPadOS is the weak link and the reason the iPad will not replace the MacBook as a whole. The power and speed are there, but the capabilities are limited by iPadOS."

It goes both ways. MacOS is the weak link and the reason the Mac will not replace the iPad as a whole. The power and speed are there, but the capabilities are limited by MacOS. Because the Mac UI - AND the Mac apps - are not touch friendly.

AGAIN, different tools for different use cases. Apple would be foolish to try to combine them. It would be an exercise in compromise and frustration.

Last edited:

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
iPadOS is the weak link and the reason the iPad will not replace the MacBook as a whole. The power and speed are there, but the capabilities are limited by iPadOS.

For the avg users workflow, iPads are great.

A lot of consumers have already replaced the traditional computers with iPads.

Personally, i prefer iPad is to macOS, can’t rennet the last time I actually picked up my MacBook Pro

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Again with this pipe dream?

Why does the iPad need to be a "Laptop Replacement"? They are different tools for different use cases. You might as well wish for a microwave oven that is also a replacement for a wood fired brick pizza oven. :rolleyes:

Besides, why would Apple even want to do this? They would much rather sell you a laptop AND a tablet. And BTW, a phone.

Personally, I have both a Macbook Pro laptop and a few iPads. One is not a replacement for the other. It does not need to be. It is not supposed to be.

It never will be.

"iPadOS is the weak link and the reason the iPad will not replace the MacBook as a whole. The power and speed are there, but the capabilities are limited by iPadOS."

It goes both ways. MacOS is the weak link and the reason the Mac will not replace the iPad as a whole. The power and speed are there, but the capabilities are limited by MacOS. Because the Mac UI - AND the Mac apps - are not touch friendly.

AGAIN, different tools for different use cases. Apple would be foolish to try to combine them. It would be an exercise in compromise and frustration.

We are in agreement. Both devices indeed have different use cases. My response was more in regard to why the iPad isn’t a MacBook replacement as I see it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For the avg users workflow, iPads are great.

A lot of consumers have already replaced the traditional computers with iPads.

Personally, i prefer iPad is to macOS, can’t rennet the last time I actually picked up my MacBook Pro

When I purchased my iPad Pro (2020 model) along with the keyboard, I did so with the intention - or should I say - mindset of replacing my personal MacBook Pro.

For “non-work” use, I can indeed say the iPad Pro was sufficient a majority of the time. Having said that, there were times when I needed the use of my MBP.

For my work usage, the iPad Pro is not sufficient. I can’t run Terminal, Visual Studio Code, Xcode, SourceTree, etc on my iPad Pro. I can’t connect multiple screens like I can with my MBP.

Still, everyone’s use case is different.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
When I purchased my iPad Pro (2020 model) along with the keyboard, I did so with the intention - or should I say - mindset of replacing my personal MacBook Pro.

For “non-work” use, I can indeed say the iPad Pro was sufficient a majority of the time. Having said that, there were times when I needed the use of my MBP.

For my work usage, the iPad Pro is not sufficient. I can’t run Terminal, Visual Studio Code, Xcode, SourceTree, etc on my iPad Pro. I can’t connect multiple screens like I can with my MBP.

13 inch dual stacked oled display + m4 at 5.1mm thin,

Indeed the Apple iPad can’t currently be used for developing apps, Perhaps this year Apple will finally release Xcode for iPad at wwdc. I believe multiple external display support may come to the iPad within the next two year. Don’t think that most iPad users would need multi monitor support in the first place.

Having said that, iPads are actually pretty great for avg or casual users, designers, content creators, musicians, visual artists, photographers, animators and film makers.

Nike just designed a pair of sneakers on the iPad for Tim Cook.

dd52f9876baca8dab7562cd5546b0d49.png

786f29172cf61a5bb2d0c0794d2be0ad.png

Reactions: Just_Me_D

TNT

Feb 16, 2024
Visit site

I bought the same set up with the same intent. It's now somewhere collecting dust.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
13 inch dual stacked oled display + m4 at 5.1mm thin,

Indeed the Apple iPad can’t currently be used for developing apps, Perhaps this year Apple will finally release Xcode for iPad at wwdc. I believe multiple external display support may come to the iPad within the next two year. Don’t think that most iPad users would need multi monitor support in the first place.

Having said that, iPads are actually pretty great for avg or casual users, designers, content creators, musicians, visual artists, photographers, animators and film makers.

Nike just designed a pair of sneakers on the iPad for Tim Cook.

dd52f9876baca8dab7562cd5546b0d49.png

786f29172cf61a5bb2d0c0794d2be0ad.png

The iPad is indeed an excellent product for casual users, designers, content creators, photographers, etcetera. No doubt about it. I have always enjoyed using my iPad Pro and I still do.

As for Nike using an iPad to design a pair of sneakers for TC, all I can say is wow!

Reactions: FFR

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I bought the same set up with the same intent. It's now somewhere collecting dust.

I still use my iPad Pro for document signing, web surfing, forum usage and watching a movie every now and then so I don’t allow it to collect dust…(laughing). Besides, when I have my grandson over, it becomes a gaming device :)

Reactions: TNT

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The iPad is indeed an excellent product for casual users, designers, content creators, photographers, etcetera. No doubt about it. I have always enjoyed using my iPad Pro and I still do.

As for Nike using an iPad to design a pair of sneakers for TC, all I can say is wow!

Here is a short video about the Nike made on iPad sneakers.

TNT

Feb 16, 2024
Visit site
The shoes weren't designed on the iPad hence the parenthesis. The shoes where designed in the 80's. The color ways were "designed" on the iPad which is no big deal. It can be done on a smartphone with pen support. Nike has been allowing this for years on their website. I've been "designing" Nikes for years from smartphones and laptops. You can decide the colorways but not the actual sneaker.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The shoes weren't designed on the iPad hence the parenthesis. The shoes where designed in the 80's. The color ways were "designed" on the iPad which is no big deal. It can be done on a smartphone with pen support. Nike has been allowing this for years on their website. I've been "designing" Nikes for years from smartphones and laptops. You can decide the colorways but not the actual sneaker.

Yeah but you haven’t designed it on the new iPad Pro like Nike did.

TNT

Feb 16, 2024
Visit site
I sent the link that's an option on the last step. You choose made by"insert your name here" They were made in 1987. I see that you never designed your own Nike shoe. The last option is customize the tag. I have bought some that say made by "me"
The shoes were made / designed in 1987. The point of this conversation is that it takes no processing power to do. It's not about the iPad but a marketing gimmick.

Last edited:

TNT

Feb 16, 2024
Visit site
Nike P.I.D can me made to say anything. The one's said made by me "TNT" were not really made by me. People have been creative. I''ve even seen made by Bigfoot for like a size 16 I believe. Hate to break it to you, they were not made by bigfoot. With all of that being said, if you want to place value in Nke P.I.D's I have some oceanfront property to sell you in Montana because obviously you'll buy anything. Like I mentioned requires minimal processing power. At this point feel free to post as many PID pics as you feel like because they only mean something to you.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. The adult has left the building.

Attachments

• IMG_7270.jpg
    IMG_7270.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 5

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizayoni