Switching a 4s from Verizon to AT&T

Transtang z28

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,
I'm not very fluent in iphones so i was hoping to get some help, and i apologize if im posting in the wrong forum. I looked around a bit but didnt see any topics on this either. I have someone who has a verizon iphone 4s and wants to go to AT&T without buying a new one. I know the verizon 4s is globally capable so i was wondering if that means there is any way to get it to work permanently on AT&T with its gsm network. I know that folks in the mobile nations communities are always super knowledgeable so im hoping someone can help me. Thanks in advance for any helpful info!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You can not take an iPhone that was active on a Verizon account and use it on AT&T.

Yes, it might be technologically possible... AT&T will not do it. The Verizon phones GSM functions are locked to forbid use of a SIM card from GSM providers based in the USA.

In theory, if the Verizon iPhone you have has it's GSM side unlocked for INTERNATIONAL use - you could, in theory - obtain service from an INTERNATIONAL provider that roams on AT&T and have a working phone - but I'm guessing that would be prohibitively expensive.

Bottom line: Get your AT&T service with a new device, and sell the Verizon one on ebay, craislist, or whatever.

Reactions: 3cit

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
You can not take an iPhone that was active on a Verizon account and use it on AT&T.

Yes, it might be technologically possible... AT&T will not do it. The Verizon phones GSM functions are locked to forbid use of a SIM card from GSM providers based in the USA.

In theory, if the Verizon iPhone you have has it's GSM side unlocked for INTERNATIONAL use - you could, in theory - obtain service from an INTERNATIONAL provider that roams on AT&T and have a working phone - but I'm guessing that would be prohibitively expensive.

Bottom line: Get your AT&T service with a new device, and sell the Verizon one on ebay, craislist, or whatever.

You are a genuinely helpful active community member.

Also, does anyone else think that this whole "american" cell phone system seems borderline illegal?
If a subsidized phone is purchased and all obligations are filled, what right does Verizon have to say that you can't use the 4s's gsm capabilities on anyone else's gsm network??
Nowhere else in the world does it happen this way.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The whole idea of carriers subsidizing phones in exchange for 2 year service commitments is a crappy business model... Imagine if your cable TV provider gave you the option of free, or substantially discounted TV's in exchange for multi-year programming contracts?

Phones should be sold at retail... and people should be able to select a service provider that offers service where the subscriber lives - and if they want to give an incentive for an extended service contract, they should do it on the basis of having a month-to-month service priced at one level and discount the monthly cost based on a contract length...

My $0.02...

Last edited:

Transtang z28

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much for your fast, and direct response. I cant tell you how great it is to be able to come over here from a sister site and get help like this. Im normally over at android central. Ill definitely be spending some time browsing imore now. Thanks again!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jacker