iPhone cellular service held captive until upgrade to 14 but still doesn't work

qcongo

Aug 21, 2021
Visit site
Cell service disappeared 2 days ago. Forced to upgrade to newest os on iPhone 7. BECAUSE I received a message that I HAD to do this get cellular back. OK. Loaded it. still no CELLULAR. called Verizon, they had me reset Network settings. Cool. Got cellular service back for a half a day. Then it went out and couldn't even see anything in SETTINGS on the cellular tab now. And NETWORK tab said "unavailable". Had to use someone else PHONE TO CALL apple after spending an hour CHATTING with them on my computer. Because it's not under warranty they won't send out a new one. I live a 5 hour drive from an Apple store. Im going into best by at 6:00 PM so they can tell me that they can't fix it and I have to send it in to check the HARDWARE. I read on FORBES this morning that Apple is trying to get a new os out in a few weeks to fix this. No PHONE for 2 weeks? Really APPLE?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Re: iPhone cellula service held captive until upgrade to 14 but still doesn't work

That’s really frustrating. I wish I had a suggestion that would help!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: iPhone cellula service held captive until upgrade to 14 but still doesn't work

Cell service disappeared 2 days ago. Forced to upgrade to newest os on iPhone 7. BECAUSE I received a message that I HAD to do this get cellular back. OK. Loaded it. still no CELLULAR. called Verizon, they had me reset Network settings. Cool. Got cellular service back for a half a day. Then it went out and couldn't even see anything in SETTINGS on the cellular tab now. And NETWORK tab said "unavailable". Had to use someone else PHONE TO CALL apple after spending an hour CHATTING with them on my computer. Because it's not under warranty they won't send out a new one. I live a 5 hour drive from an Apple store. Im going into best by at 6:00 PM so they can tell me that they can't fix it and I have to send it in to check the HARDWARE. I read on FORBES this morning that Apple is trying to get a new os out in a few weeks to fix this. No PHONE for 2 weeks? Really APPLE?

Why are you getting mad at Apple? When you purchased the iPhone 7, it worked and still works. The issue is with your cellular service and you are or were able to get it again after resetting the network settings.

It’s possible you are in an area with interference or changes made by Verizon has weakened the cell signal to your device. If you haven’t already, consider upgrading your iPhone to a newer model.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
What do you mean by you received a message saying that you had to update your OS to get cellular service back?
Was it a text message? A prompt on your phone?
Because that’s definitely a first (for me, at least).

qcongo

Aug 21, 2021
Visit site

why apple? Because it is an Apple problem. Went down the carrier road already. It's not them. As of an hour ago Apple admitted the problem was theirs and they are remedying it for my case, or so they say, time will tell. I will not upgrade if the wheels have not fallen off. And they haven't, yet.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Very strange. You said you got a message to upgrade, how was that message received? Who was it from?
Genuinely curious because I’ve never heard it before.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
BECAUSE I received a message that I HAD to do this get cellular back.

As a few have already asked, how was said message received on your device? I’m all the years I’ve had Apple iPhones I’ve never received a message from Apple, Verizon or T-Mobile saying I HAD to upgrade iOS to continue mobile service.

Maybe you got spammed?

qcongo

Aug 21, 2021
Visit site
Along long time ago, things worked for inperpetuity, if you took care of them...This phone is only 4 years old. I paid what I think is alot of money for it. I have a washing machine I bought 2 years ago for two hundred dollars and it still works. I have a car I bought 9 years ago and it still works. I have a super eight camera I bought 40 years ago and it still works.I have 4 macs, a G4, a 2013 imac, a 2013 mac mini and a brand new laptop, and guess what! They all work! The "members"who have made comments, and that's all you did - except one, have only been venting yourselves and sounds like you've bought into the brainwashing. Throw it away! Make more junk for our children's children to have to deal with...out of sight, out of mind. You all have been focusing on the CAS. well it surely got your attention. Sounds like you all own shares of AAPL, with such passion you have to defend Apple. I own Apple Stock. I know how much they make and I expect them to stand behind a 4 year old product. And BTW, they are remeding the situation the way a company with any integrety should.. Not only have the wheels not fallen off, but the squeaky wheel always gets the grease. signing off. and thanks for all your positive feedback!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Along long time ago, things worked for inperpetuity, if you took care of them...This phone is only 4 years old. I paid what I think is alot of money for it. I have a washing machine I bought 2 years ago for two hundred dollars and it still works. I have a car I bought 9 years ago and it still works. I have a super eight camera I bought 40 years ago and it still works.I have 4 macs, a G4, a 2013 imac, a 2013 mac mini and a brand new laptop, and guess what! They all work! The "members"who have made comments, and that's all you did - except one, have only been venting yourselves and sounds like you've bought into the brainwashing. Throw it away! Make more junk for our children's children to have to deal with...out of sight, out of mind. You all have been focusing on the CAS. well it surely got your attention. Sounds like you all own shares of AAPL, with such passion you have to defend Apple. I own Apple Stock. I know how much they make and I expect them to stand behind a 4 year old product. And BTW, they are remeding the situation the way a company with any integrety should.. Not only have the wheels not fallen off, but the squeaky wheel always gets the grease. signing off. and thanks for all your positive feedback!

Now that you’ve gotten that out of the way, can you please answer the question of how was the message stating you had to upgrade received and who was it from? Was it a prompt? Was it an SMS message? an iMessage? What?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Glad Apple is remedying the situation, but I’m curious to know how the message was received, as well. Although none of us have seen this happen, your response & input may help someone else with the same issue.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

Actually, people were just asking a simple question to try to better understand your issue. The fact that you refuse to answer, at this point, does make me suspicious that it is true. I am, of course, open to hearing more information that will lead to a better and more complete understanding of what occurred.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal