SOS - Major iMessage Issue

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
A little over a month ago, I was trying to text/iMessage a friend of mine. I put in her name and sent the message, next thing I know, I realize I accidentally sent the message to her husband (who I am also friends with/have in my phone). I thought I wasn't paying attention so I went back and tried again. It's not me. Whenever I put in her name (so it's showing at the top), his text thread appears and all the messages get sent to him. However, if my friend iMessages me first, then I'm not able to text her husband and all messages got to her. Group messages still work but I can't figure this out. If I delete the thread, it seems to keep their messages separate for a bit but then they end up combining again. I've never had this problem with anyone else before and I'm wondering if it's because they share an Apple ID? Wanted to see if anyone has experienced this before and how on earth do I permanently fix it?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I personally never experienced this issue, but I've heard that shared Apple ID's have all sorts of issues. Hopefully some one will chime in with a fix.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
If you have them as separate contacts on your device and you are sending to two different mobile phone numbers, then the issue is more than likely on their side. They may be sharing info on both of their devices.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
It’s because they share an Apple ID & probably have the same exact settings for send & receive in iMessage. There’s nothing wrong. They just need to change their settings, if that’s something they want to do.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all - I'm passing this feedback over to them. They INSIST it's my new iPhone (meanwhile, Apple IDs aren't meant to be shared). I'm going to have them look into it.

PS - If I get this figured out, I'll post an update

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all - I'm passing this feedback over to them. They INSIST it's my new iPhone (meanwhile, Apple IDs aren't meant to be shared). I'm going to have them look into it.

PS - If I get this figured out, I'll post an update

There's a known issue where something like this is happening to many users. If it's not the ID issue, then you may have to wait for the next OS update for a fix.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
There's a known issue where something like this is happening to many users. If it's not the ID issue, then you may have to wait for the next OS update for a fix.

I honestly think it’s user error. People still believe you have to use one Apple ID in order to share purchases, when you can just set up Family Sharing. It’s been happening for a couple years now.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2