So who's got AirPods then? Share your first impressions!!!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Although I agree with you, I'm not sure if he was giving his review. I think he was giving his opinion on this product as it relates to him. I've never in my entire life had a flawless product that I would rate 10/10. But my uses may differ from others. For him, this product does everything he needs it to do and more. And that's ok. I think it's best if we all listen to all opinions and then form our buying decision on a collective rather than basing our decisions on one opinion. Opinions vary and that's ok.

Agreed!!!

mstacheef

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Well said. I wouldn't give them a 10/10 due to the lack of music controls too, but I'll definitely give them an 8 or maybe even 9/10. IMO they're damn near perfect so far. I've got my Powerbeats3 for running so it's not a big deal for me. I got them mainly as a BT headset for calls and casual music listening, and it excels at both of those. The call quality is actually better than any other BT headset I've tried, and I've owned or tried most of them. And the damn things just won't come out of my ears no matter what I do. I know not everyone will feel that way, but for me they fit perfectly.

Steven Sabo

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I just like the convenience factor of them. Couldn't stand how the powerbeats3 wire would cause them to pull on my ears when doing a heavy bag workout. Also love the compact case that I can toss in my pocket and carry it around without any real bulk at all.

Very pleasantly surprised with how they withstand some intense workout. Would like to have music controls built onto them. Perhaps a firmware update could add a single tap would be to advance to the next song.

For casual listening, the ability to instantly pause when one takes an Airpod out is huge. So when my wife want to talk to me while I am walking around without my phone with me to pause is awesome. Or as she did last night, she yanked one out of my ear for me to hear her...lol

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Just discovered another awesome Apple integration feature... If you have the Watch tap, open control center then tap the battery level and you will get this screen. LOVE IT!!!

fullsizeoutput_aa4.jpeg

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I have tried (and owned) almost every single type of bluetooth headsets (from Jawbone, Jabba, Bose, BlueAnt, Plantronics etc) and would consider myself as having quite a bit of experience.

THESE AIRPODS ARE THE BEST.

Why?
They are comfy, sound great, pair well, behave well with handover between devices, don't cut out, are loud, can be used one ear at a time (in mono mode, important), have amazing battery life, do not fall out for me (no way, not possible), are charged by the case (so you don't misplace them), case is charged by the lightning cable I already carry (my world is now USB-C and Lightning), take out of ear to pause is great, double tap feature works 100% (unlike other headsets with touch controls that never work for me), the range is amazing, no left to right body v ear issues that I've seen, audio/music/voice quality is better than I was thinking (this is a major surprise for me), pairing and iOS/OSX integration is fantastic and I've likely missed a few points.

I've had mine since Monday delivery (I'm in Melbourne, Australia), so have put them thought a few full days of use. I no longer carry my plantronics voyager edge headset, Bose in ear noise cancelling headphones and my backup lightning EarPods (as my back-up) in my day to day bag, just the AirPods.

What do I hope they move forward via software over the coming weeks/months:
Additional touch gestures (perhaps a triple tap) & ability to hear Siri without stopping playback (i.e. reduce playback volume to 70%) so use is more seamless.

Oh one more thing, wearing these in public seems to be acceptable, I've had a few people on the train look at the headsets and I can see them heading to the apple site to check out what they are. I would have never worn a blue tooth headset (i.e. single ear) in public previously.

Love them, thanks Apple.

gregoryw1

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Missed the early order window but was on Reddit last Monday night and someone said Best Buy had them - so quickly grabbed two pairs for me and my wife. Arrived on Thursday. Have been in my ears almost constantly since then - even fell asleep on the couch for a few hours with them in and listening to a playlist on repeat - they were still going strong when I woke up. Here are my impressions:

- Worth the money if for nothing else that I don't have to untangle those damn cords seven times a day
- I have four other Bluetooth headphones and the worst part about them is the cable between them which always hit my neck or my chin and made them fall out. The "independentness" of these makes a huge difference. Once I put them in I don't even feel them. I actually have to reach up and touch to see if they are there. For both me and my wife they fit perfectly and haven't fallen out yet.
- I'm no audiophile but the sound sounds amazing. Loud and clear. No drops or stutters.
- The microphones apparently work great too since I keep asking people how it sounds on calls. Their response is always "oh I couldn't tell" I guess implying the general expectation is BT headphone microphones suck.
- One thing on the battery I noticed though right away is talking on the phone uses the batteries about twice as fast. I think you get like two hours of phone talking time instead of the five for listening to music. I didn't know that before I got them. The case sure seems to charge fast though.
- Maybe I haven't figured this out correctly yet, but the hand-off doesn't seem to switch automatically for me. I mean once you pair them with one iCloud connected device all the others have it in their BT list but it doesn't switch automatically from me. You have to push on the source icon and then quickly select AirPods. I thought that would just happen by itself when I switch devices – but again maybe I haven't set it up correctly.
- I have Bluetooth set up in my car to automatically recognize my iPhone. This function does seem to continue even when I have my EarPods in. Which is a little bit of a pain. Because once I get in the car it switches from the AirPods to the car stereo even though i'd rather keep the AirPods going. But I guess it's a safety feature telling me I shouldn't be using them in the car! I just wish that handoff feature would automatically work from device to device (which it doesn't appear to), rather than from device to car stereo (which it does).
- I wish there were a case for the AirPods case. I'm sure this slippery little dental floss container is going to slip through my fingers at some point in the near future and start getting scuffed up. Haven't seen anyone making a cover for them online yet.
- One thing I'm not a huge fan of is the double tap. Maybe my ears are too sensitive but the strength with which you have to double tap makes my ears hurt a little bit - especially if I'm double tapping a lot. It doesn't work if you do it really softly - which I wish it would. You kind of really have to double tap it with some umph. On the positive side once Siri has engaged she works well.

Overall these things rock. I don't even think they look that funky once you get used to them. I think the only time these things won't be in my ears are when I have to pull them out to charge.

Happy Listening!

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Day two and really enjoying them. I've been mostly using one for podcast dog walks and couldn't get the "resume playing" to work after removing / replacing a mono set up . Works fine with both in on stereo , anybody else find this?

Last edited:

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd be far too worried to ever get some. My wired Apple headphones often fall out of one ear. Thankfully as they're wired they don't go anyway. I'd be far too worried about losing one of these little wireless things to actually ever spend the money on them

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have the Watch (series 2) and I can't seem to get his. Battery level just shows me the Watch remaining battery and power reserve, no AirPod battery. Is that BS?

Hold the case with the AirPods in it close to your watch, launch the battery screen on your watch and open the case.
This should do the trick.

Last edited:

blaine07

Case & Accessory Champion
Champion
Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Slickwraps needs to make a skin for the case... tried to submit it to their site thing but apparently suggestions box doesn't work on mobile

CloudSpeaker

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I ordered in the first hour they were available and received them on the 21st. I love them and also wish they fit better. My only real issue is getting the battery status to show by flipping open the case. It seems to only work about 1 out of every 10 times. I've tried it with the case and my iPhone 7 touching... At arms length... Everything. It simply doesn't work most of the time.

I wrote this on Medium about my first 48 hours with AirPods. https://medium.com/@eldridgembrown/48-hours-with-apples-airpods-89e904a2f581

crpmp007

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
It appears I must be in the minority, but mine are not working out so well. The sound quality is nice and on par with the wired earpods, but everyone I talk to says I sound muffled, or that there is a lot of back ground noise. The lab I work in has a few servers, but they are not screaming loud, but they do have a constant hum to them, but everybody says they hear a windy sound. So I re-paired them, and that didn't work, so I hooked them up to my co-workers iPhone 7 and called and got the same results so it's not my iPhone. Anyone ales getting complaints that the output sound is not so great?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It appears I must be in the minority, but mine are not working out so well. The sound quality is nice and on par with the wired earpods, but everyone I talk to says I sound muffled, or that there is a lot of back ground noise. The lab I work in has a few servers, but they are not screaming loud, but they do have a constant hum to them, but everybody says they hear a windy sound. So I re-paired them, and that didn't work, so I hooked them up to my co-workers iPhone 7 and called and got the same results so it's not my iPhone. Anyone ales getting complaints that the output sound is not so great?

On the contrary, people say my voice is clearer with the AirPods.

crpmp007

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
On the contrary, people say my voice is clearer with the AirPods.

Apparently that is what I'm reading from everyone who has the airpods and are talking about them. I will swing by the Apple store and see if I have a bad pair or something. I had multiple calls today and 2 conference calls and everyone says I sound muted\bad. Nothing I seem to do today fixes the issue, and I'm not going to factory reset my phone which I have a feeling that is what Apple is going to ask me to do. I just got them this morning, so I don't know if there is a break-in period or something, but this set I have now is not doing to well. Now my music, YouTube, and movies sound great just like the wired headset, but my calls are a whole nother story! Every call I took today including my 2 conference calls folks said I sound muffled and low. They also all said they heard a wind noise like I had a fan going but I didn't. I have tried everything I can think of outside of a factory reset to my iPhone 7 plus, but I sunny know how that would help. I'm going to swing by an apple store and see what they say!

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DRizzlemeup