Should I charge my new iPhone 6S Plus to 100% before using?

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Hello!

I just ordered my iPhone 6S Plus today and it'll arrive tomorrow.

Is it best for me to use it straight out of the box? Or charge it first to 100% after setting it up? I don't want to ruin the battery life =P

Upgrading from the Note 5, before that I used to rock the iPhone 6.

Always wanted the Plus version :)

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: iPhone 6S Plus

It will come charged and you can use it straight out of the box. I recommend draining the battery until the phone dies and then charging it to 100% without interruption just to calibrate it. Enjoy!

Rmorton0573

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
iPhone 6S Plus

There is no need to drain a battery to calibrate it. Phones are smarter than that these days, and it actually hurts it more than it helps. Phones (iPhone) have lithium-ion batteries and do not have the memory issues the old nickel cadmium batteries had. Cnet has a very good article on battery do's and do nots.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site

Cnet has a very good article on battery do's and do nots.

I don't even follow those. Every device I have, I use the battery down to about 5% and then I put it on the charger. There are times when I leave a phone connected to the charger for a full day or two and have done this since 2007 when I bought my first iPhone. No damage has ever come to any of my phones doing this. Like you said, batteries these days are smart. Use it the way you want and don't worry about damaging the battery. You won't.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

It will come charged and you can use it straight out of the box. I recommend draining the battery until the phone dies and then charging it to 100% without interruption just to calibrate it. Enjoy!
This does not apply to modern Li-Ion batteries.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

This does not apply to modern Li-Ion batteries.

Yes and no. Calibrating the phone to the battery definitely does apply to modern lithium ion batteries. Battery memory, where the battery would think it was full when it wasn't, thereby losing capacity, does not apply.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site

Calibrating the phone to the battery definitely does apply to modern lithium ion batteries

Nope. Maybe (and that's a strong "maybe") some circuitry or software that is designed to monitor battery status, but not the Li-Ion battery itself. Don't know why this myth persists...

[URL="https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#mn_p]Battery tips straight from Apple[/URL]. Notice there is nothing about "calibrating" a Li-Ion battery...

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Nope. Maybe (and that's a strong "maybe") some circuitry or software that is designed to monitor battery status, but not the Li-Ion battery itself. Don't know why this myth persists...

[URL="https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#mn_p]Battery tips straight from Apple[/URL]. Notice there is nothing about "calibrating" a Li-Ion battery...

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Thank you for sharing yours.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Never was the battery that was calibrated. It's the % thingy in the status bar that gets calibrated. As a battery wears down and discharges quickly, the % indicator can't keep up. This causes odd things to show and happen. Like the phone going dead at 25%. Calibrating kind of resets the % thingy.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Thank you for sharing yours.

FYI not an opinion .. it is fact. For some reason people think modern Li-Ion batteries are similar to legacy NiCard batteries that had the "memory effect" and could be calibrated of sorts by fully discharging and then charging the device. This simply is not the case with Li-Ion batteries. In fact they perform better if charged more frequently and NOT drained to empty since they have a charge lifecycle that deteriorates the battery strength. No amount of perceived "conditioning" or "calibration" will fix this. Someday maybe this false opinion will stop spreading...

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site

Never was the battery that was calibrated. It's the % thingy in the status bar that gets calibrated. As a battery wears down and discharges quickly, the % indicator can't keep up. This causes odd things to show and happen. Like the phone going dead at 25%. Calibrating kind of resets the % thingy.

This is kinda what I was referring to -- the software that monitors and reports battery percentage

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Oh wow, that must have been why my iPhone 5 used to die randomly out of nowhere when it's around 10-15%.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
FYI not an opinion .. it is fact. For some reason people think modern Li-Ion batteries are similar to legacy NiCard batteries that had the "memory effect" and could be calibrated of sorts by fully discharging and then charging the device. This simply is not the case with Li-Ion batteries. In fact they perform better if charged more frequently and NOT drained to empty since they have a charge lifecycle that deteriorates the battery strength. No amount of perceived "conditioning" or "calibration" will fix this. Someday maybe this false opinion will stop spreading...

If you refer to my previous response I stated the exact same thing. Calibrating refers to making sure the phone and the battery itself are on the same page with how much battery life is remaining. My response also stated that lithium ion batteries are not subject to the memory effects of NiCad batteries. I'm well aware that there's no need to condition an iPhone's battery.
Obviously there's a breakdown of communication somewhere. We are saying basically the same thing.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77