Restoring as new for iOS4, and backing up SMS among other things

Prodigal

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
So I saw the article today on the blog about iOS4 having battery issues and my iPhone 3GS's battery feels like it's halved since I upgraded. I tried power cycling and my push settings have always been the same.

I'm at the point where I'm willing to try the restore as new option, but I don't recall if my SMS, call history, and other native databases will be restored. If not, is there a way to manually back them up and restore them after the clean install of OS4 without the risk of having whatever fouled up setting is causing my battery issue coming over as well?

I tried to search for existing threads on this or similar topic, but the search doesn't like "new" & "sms" and most of what I found was regarding restoring from backups.

Thanks in advance!

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
If you restore as new EVERYTHING is gone. The only way to get your SMS back is to restore from backup, which may be causing your problem unfortunately.

Prodigal

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
There's no way I can yank some file on my hard drive somewhere (Win7 x64) from the current sync and then put it back so that it can get pushed back to the phone after the restore as new?

It's getting to the point where I'm going to have to do this regardless...but I hate to lose a year of texts :(