Restore from iTunes backup not going as expected....maybe

irateb

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hello All,

I have a 4s on Sprint, had it since the Sprint launch, and I'm currently running iOS 6.0.1. I'm running iTunes 10.7.0.21 on Windows 8. The phone had been acting a little funny and sluggish so I thought I'd do a restore from backup to see if that would help. I did a full erase and then a restore from the iTunes backup. After the restore, I had all my apps, although all my folders and my background were gone. I appear to have my contacts, but things I thought would be back like my text messages, camera roll, email accounts, music, etc. are not there. Basically I thought I would restore from backup, and the phone would look just like the last time I backed it up. Was I mistaken to think that, or did I do something wrong? Or is there possibly something wrong with my backup?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Could be something wrong with your backup. Check in iTunes to see if you have others and maybe restore to an older one?

irateb

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
How do I make sure it was a full backup? I didn't see an option for full backup in iTunes (at least where I thought it might be). I looked in the Backups folder, and the backup folder is about 16.5 GB (my phone is 32 GB). I had about 5 GB free on the phone before the backup, but I assume the backup might be compressed? There were a few other backup folders, of which only one did not have a date/time stamp. I read that the date/time stamp ones are done after I did a restore. Anything else I need to look for or try?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
iTunes can create backups of your iOS device when you:

Sync with iTunes (disabled if you have iCloud backup turned on)
Right-click (or Control-click) the iOS device in iTunes under Devices and choose Back Up

Use these steps to manually back up your iOS device using iTunes:

Connect your iOS device to a computer with the latest version of iTunes installed
Select your iOS device in iTunes under Devices
Right-click (or Control-click) the device and select Back Up

I would try restoring from another just to rule out that there is no issue with the one you used.

irateb

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I tried a couple of them, but they just seemed to be different timestamps of the same backup, and all failed. I also did a DFU restore and upgraded to iTunes 11, all with the same result: restore runs for 20-25 min with no errors, but nothing comes back. I have given up and started over. It was kind of sad to lose my text message history, but fortunately I had done a drag and drop copy of my pictures the day before, and those were the most important. Can someone recommend a program that can read the backup folder on my Windows laptop? I know there are several, just wanted someone's opinion on a good one...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brad99