OTA Updates and battery life.

ridiculocity

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok so before I jailbroke my iOS devices I had been doing OTA updates. My battery life was pretty average before evasi0n surfaced but since updating twice using iTunes restore due to FW 6.1.1 and 6.1.2 being released and jailbreaking twice I've noticed much better battery life.

My wife decided not to jailbreak this time around and has only done OTA updates since getting her iPhone 5.
Today we did an experiment and used our phones for virtually the same things.

We used facebook, safari surfing and words with friends for 4 hours straight. After 4 hours she was down to 27% and I was at 73%. That's a massive difference for the same usage.

It got me wondering if over time OTA updates for all their convenience actually degrade the stability of the OS?

So I'm just about to back up, sync, restore and restore from back up on her phone to see if it makes any difference. She has a pretty clean phone 64gb with 40gb available.

I'll report back on my findings :)

Let me know your thoughts / experiences.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
OTA updates only updates what has changed. It's piecing a OS together in my opinion. I use to get worse battery life when updating OTA and much better when updating via iTunes. Just my observations.

ridiculocity

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Just an update. Restored and added everything from back up. Already after the same heavy use, mostly words with friends, eBay and Facebook 45 mins in and battery is down to 97%. I know it's early days but its looking like an iTunes restore has sorted it. OTA may be convenient but not always the best solution for a stable OS. Well in this case!

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Just an update. Restored and added everything from back up. Already after the same heavy use, mostly words with friends, eBay and Facebook 45 mins in and battery is down to 97%. I know it's early days but its looking like an iTunes restore has sorted it. OTA may be convenient but not always the best solution for a stable OS. Well in this case!

I agree. Btw, congrats on winning the Anostyle for the mini. I'm jealous. :p

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

In my opinion I will never do an OTA for an OS as I would rather tether to iTunes and just for my own piece of mind it just makes me feel better.

I have always done it this way and will continue to.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!!! Certainly made my day today. Can't wait to get it :)

:D:Dooooohh !! lucky you !! congrats on your win Jade, and be sure to share some pics with us when you do get your new mini :D

Back on topic - like Garz has stated above with the ota update & just 'piecing' things together. I made the mistake once when I first got my 4S and 5.0 was released. I did the upgrade ota, because i figured, "easy-peasy...right?" wrong. I had horrendous battery life, even went through a diagnostic phone call with Apple from a landline to be sure my battery wasnt faulty. everything checked out a-okay. i did a whole restore as new and from that day on i never did an ota upgrade again. i always usb to iTunes now, and my battery life is always satisfactory. i can get on an average charge 7-9hrs usage, and for me thats more than what i need. With that usage, i'm charging every other day, or sometimes as far as 2 days in-between each charge.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
:D:Dooooohh !! lucky you !! congrats on your win Jade, and be sure to share some pics with us when you do get your new mini :D

Back on topic - like Garz has stated above with the ota update & just 'piecing' things together. I made the mistake once when I first got my 4S and 5.0 was released. I did the upgrade ota, because i figured, "easy-peasy...right?" wrong. I had horrendous battery life, even went through a diagnostic phone call with Apple from a landline to be sure my battery wasnt faulty. everything checked out a-okay. i did a whole restore as new and from that day on i never did an ota upgrade again. i always usb to iTunes now, and my battery life is always satisfactory. i can get on an average charge 7-9hrs usage, and for me thats more than what i need. With that usage, i'm charging every other day, or sometimes as far as 2 days in-between each charge.

I don't know why I always seem to agree with the solid points you make Pink especially since I don't like you...LOL :p But all things aside from that this was what I was trying to say as well and now that I have been on the latest update 6.1.2 for a week with 2 battery cycles to dead and the phone turning off, I am averaging around what you are getting also. The only exception to this as we have spoken in length through PM about WIFI/3G % I am the opposite of you as I am on 3G more but only because of what I do at work, when I can use WIFI but at home for sure.

Nice to see ya on the forum... Miss ya when you are not around.;)

PS Like the new Avatar.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Interesting that so many people seem to have this experience. I've always just done the OTA updates and never noticed a battery life difference. But I'll keep it in mind if I ever do.

I've done both and my battery life appears the same and hopefully, when I finally put aside my trusted 4S for a newer version, I will continue to not have the issues that have plagued others....:)

ridiculocity

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Well I can confirm my wife's iPhone 5 today lasted so much longer since doing a tethered up. Before the restore after 4 hours solid use she was down to 20% after the restore same usage and time frame she had 60%.

She is stoked!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RowanJack